Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I got a Brewdog Selection and a Beerbods selection for Christmas. The Brewdog 12 cames from Beerbods too.

Anyway, last night I had the Harbour IPA, from Cornwall - very hoppy, which is a very good thing, obviously. A bit too sweet for my liking, but I'd happily quaff a few.

Tonight it's Hardcore IPA, which doesn't taste like the 9.2% that Brewdog have claimed on the bottle. Very smooth, with a citrus taste - gorgeous. May have a Brixton Porter later.

I love double IPAs like Hardcore. Annoyingly since Craft Beer Co had their makeover they don't seem to stock any on tap whenever I'm in there.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Finally tried the Kasteels ' Winter'. I thought it would just be a slant on their Donker which also comes in at 11% but the Winter special is just Christmas in a glass. I could say the usual that you couldn't drink too many of them but I,m not sure I could adhere to that. Gorgeous brew. The usual chocolates but with coffee and a slight vanilla smell with tastes of hazelnuts and almonds. If you get the chance more than worth a go.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A big big thank you to Trufflehound for his excellent tips regarding Amsterdam craft beer. It's a truly exciting craft city. I visited two of his numerous tips; I was only there for two days. I will go back and check out the others though. First up is http://arendsnest.mobielesite.nl which is Dutch craft only and has 30 lines including the glorious house beer Big Fat 5 double IPA by Uiltje.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 193
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 193
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 184
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 273

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Second was the wonderfully named http://beertemple.mobielesite.nl

This is Dutch and international and 35 lines including the Big Fat 5 mentioned and pictured above

Pick of bunch was a Dutch smoked bock and the Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout by Anderson Valley which is pictured.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 279
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 275
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 275

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Here's the Beer Temple list

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 260

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
[MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] and I are on the train with a chap from Meantime. He has a couple of beers which they brew and M&S are bringing out in a month's time.

He also mentioned that Brewdog make what Tesco sell as their Finest IPA.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
[MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] and I are on the train with a chap from Meantime. He has a couple of beers which they brew and M&S are bringing out in a month's time.

Thank him from me, they're an excellent brewery. Also tell him that a few weeks back I entered Meantime Pilsner into a blind-tasting event against 2 other UK and 3 German pilsners.....it won handsomely.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

PS I knew about Tesco. I also recall Meantime used to brew Brewdog beers back in the day.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Just had the much maligned Grimbergen triple prior to a Westalle Tripel and I thoroughly enjoyed it . Sweet and with out any complexity but a nice drop really.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just had the much maligned Grimbergen triple prior to a Westalle Tripel and I thoroughly enjoyed it . Sweet and with out any complexity but a nice drop really.

Grimbergen as cheap as chips in LeClerc, fill yer boots.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The Tesco finest IPA label has actually been updated and includes a big Brewdog logo too now

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Opening today in Brighton and the first to sell growlers by all accounts: http://bisonbeer.co.uk

Harvey's have been selling a few pints in a takeaway bottle for years (though not sure what they call it). i don't know why we have to import these americanisms, as if they just invented ales.

Jul 7, 2003
Selling Growlers brings a different sort of shop entirely to mind !!:eek:

My mate in the US was telling me about how his wife was heading to the local micro brewery to get her growler filled. I think my mind might have been working in the same way as yours!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Harvey's have been selling a few pints in a takeaway bottle for years (though not sure what they call it). i don't know why we have to import these americanisms, as if they just invented ales.

The article Bozza posted states the growlers have a pressure filling system which keeps the beer fresh. Do the Harvey's bottles have something similar? Or is it just a bottle?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Tucking into a few choice crafts at home listening to Ghost Culture on the sound system. First up was Abstract AB:16. A 10.6% Belgian Quad infused with coffee. Currently necking a Brewdog/Victory U-Boat smoked porter.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Tucking into a few choice crafts at home listening to Ghost Culture on the sound system. First up was Abstract AB:16. A 10.6% Belgian Quad infused with coffee. Currently necking a Brewdog/Victory U-Boat smoked porter.

I bet that went down well ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The article Bozza posted states the growlers have a pressure filling system which keeps the beer fresh. Do the Harvey's bottles have something similar? Or is it just a bottle?

i dont suppose quite the same as Harvey's fare is cask ale and not kegged. i've not seen it filled, but theres a air expressing widget in the lid so i imagine its good for a day or two. and let be serious, who's going to be testing "six weeks freshness"? be lucky to see 6 hours if its a beer you like.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here