Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Totally agree. It's a lovely sight walking into a bar and seeing Burning Sky.

Looks good. I imagine the flavours work well? I have just ordered a case of beers and managed to get 3 bottles of Abstrakt AB15 which is an salted caramel popcorn imperial stout/ale. When Abstrakt works well it is great, but they have made some right honkers in the past-part of the experimentation process I guess.

I thought the flavours were absolutely perfectly balanced. One of the finest drops I've had in sometime.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
A school night craft beer post at 1:20. That's the spirit :thumbsup:

Interested to hear about the Dogfish 90 minute.

The Dogfish 90 was excellent, BTW I am -5 hrs UK time at present.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Terrapin Hopsecutioner, very fruity and well balanced.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Quick heads-up for all you craft beer bores, sorry, aficionados. I know next to nothing about the subject, me, but just been in to have a noisy at the beers in Hartleys, the new offie at the bottom of Preston Drove where Wine Me Up used to be. I think you'd all appreciate it. Many bottles of brews I'd never heard of, fairly reasonably priced. Eventually settled on a Brewdog 5AM Saint ('hoppy red ale', £1.99 for a 330ml bottle). Purely in the interests of research y'understand I have had to open and sample it - and very nice it is too! Sorry, can't remember any of the other craft beers in there, but to give you some idea of the range and quality of the beers in general, they've got things in there like Shepherd Neame double stout, which I can't recall ever seeing in Kent, let alone Sussex. If you're in the area a visit is highly recommended :thumbsup:

I popped in there on the way home, good selection. They've Harveys and lot of classic ales and quite a few Meantime and craft beers, pretty reasonably priced (The Red Yakima was £2.20 i think). The only disappointment was I couldn't find any Dark Star

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Enjoyed a few of these tonight ale_chinook.jpg

SeagullTim

Boomer Sooner
Apr 22, 2006
Brighton
Went up to Yorkshire the other week and had some of Sam Smith's Old Brewery Bitter, still delivered by horse and cart apparently. Anyone know if there's any place I can get a pint of this down south?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Went up to Yorkshire the other week and had some of Sam Smith's Old Brewery Bitter, still delivered by horse and cart apparently. Anyone know if there's any place I can get a pint of this down south?

this would be the "man in the box" brewery, surprising number of them found in London, i know of The Angel on the Bermondsey riverfront (literally, it hangs over the edge) and the Cittie of York near Chancery Lane, which is worth a visit for anyone partial to pubs.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
this would be the "man in the box" brewery, surprising number of them found in London, i know of The Angel on the Bermondsey riverfront (literally, it hangs over the edge) and the Cittie of York near Chancery Lane, which is worth a visit for anyone partial to pubs.

Yeah the Sam Smith pubs in London are excellent

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Add Chandos Trafalgar Square to the list of Sam Smith's pubs in London. There is of course a well known Sussex brewery that also delivers beer via horse and dray.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just had a Rogue Brewery St Rogue Red Ale and have moved onto a Kernel London 1890 Export Stout.

Jul 7, 2003
Working in Glasgow at the moment and found a good craft beer pub in the middle of the city called The Raven. Nice range of beers, friendly knowledgeable staff and even cater for the locals by having a cheap 'table lager' which they have brewed for them by Tennants. Pub also has a Smokehouse restaurant that is pretty decent.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Enjoyed a few pints of Cottage Brewery 'Hercules'' in the local, also sampled Rudgate No 8 a cherry flavoured beer.

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Spent the weekend in Antwerp and remember where it all started.

De Konninck amber of course to start and then their Triple D' Anvers to follow that up.
Went for some lesser known brews out there this time in Kulminator and once again confirms that this really is the best beer pub in the world. The Bornem Triple was superb. Nice to have some sweeter notes in ones beers for a change.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here