Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Tres possible H, but the gold stuff is a decent enough ale (as opposed to their regular IPA) and it is half price at £1 a bottle.

It is a perfectly decent ale, especially at £1 a bottle. The only other ale they do that cheap is Spitfire which is barely drinkable

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Seem to remember a lot of locals boycotting the Lewes Arms when owners Greene King stopped serving Harveys

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just rummaging around in my beer pantry and found a Straffe Hendrik Tripel by the Half Moon brewery in Bruges. It's really light and fragrant for a triple, beautiful hints of vanilla and a wonderful all round flavour. I do love a Zot but I never realised thay had this little beauty up their sleeve ! It's 9% abv which is a par score for a tripel, but well hidden, upon checking the same brewery also do a Quad too..... methinks a beer trip imminent .

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Seem to remember a lot of locals boycotting the Lewes Arms when owners Greene King stopped serving Harveys

they did to great effect. however, until Harvey's start supplying supermarkets, one has to go with what is presented to one in the aisle. i've become quite partial to the Speckled Hen, especially with fish and chips.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Just rummaging around in my beer pantry and found a Straffe Hendrik Tripel by the Half Moon brewery in Bruges. It's really light and fragrant for a triple, beautiful hints of vanilla and a wonderful all round flavour. I do love a Zot but I never realised thay had this little beauty up their sleeve ! It's 9% abv which is a par score for a tripel, but well hidden, upon checking the same brewery also do a Quad too..... methinks a beer trip imminent .

The only problem with the Halve Maan brewery is its location right on the main tourist drag. Since 90% of the visitors who do the tour there don't really care about beer, and are only doing it as part of the 'Bruges experience', the guides have to dumb down the story a bit. It can come across as a bit patronising to anyone who already has a vague inkling how beer is made.

Not as patronising as the Heineken Experience in Amsterdam mind you...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The only problem with the Halve Maan brewery is its location right on the main tourist drag. Since 90% of the visitors who do the tour there don't really care about beer, and are only doing it as part of the 'Bruges experience', the guides have to dumb down the story a bit. It can come across as a bit patronising to anyone who already has a vague inkling how beer is made.

Not as patronising as the Heineken Experience in Amsterdam mind you...

Yes, I have been to the Halve Maan for lunch and a few beverages on one of our Brugges trips. I really can't remember where I got hold of that Tripel though, it was a brilliant find though. When I mentioned time for another beer trip I was thinking of going again to Brouwerij Vanuxeem in Ploegsteert, It is absolute beer heaven, I have never seen as many Belgians on sale before. they do some glasses and other things too, but they are quite happy to sell by the bottle, the pack or the crate and they have no probe with plastic. A must see Truffle.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Enjoyed a few pints of Oldershaws 'Barkston Bitter', & a couple of pints Salamander 'Tick Tock ' this evening down the local.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Just had a delivery from The House of Belgium and well impressed with their service and reasonable costs

TRIPEL KARMELIET 33cl 6 £12.89
Brugge Tripel 33cl 12 £20.32
Corsendonk Agnus 33cl 6 £9.40
Tongerlo Prior 33cl 6 £10.69
Westmalle Tripel 33cl 6 £12.94
DUVEL TRIPEL HOP 33cl 6 £14.57
Brugse Zot Double 33cl 6 £11.60
Hommelbier 25cl 12 £18.69

The next items were the wife appeasers honest.

Côte d'Or Chocolate Mignonette Assortment 300g thob20048 1 £6.00
Cote d'Or Chocolate Mignonettes 4 Seasons 320g thob20011 1 £5.74
Subtotal £122.85
Shipping & Handling £0.00
Grand Total £122.85

Only had the Tongerlo Prior so far (gorgeous) as have been out all weekend but they have some good beers other than the usual ones on my order.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Yes, I have been to the Halve Maan for lunch and a few beverages on one of our Brugges trips. I really can't remember where I got hold of that Tripel though, it was a brilliant find though. When I mentioned time for another beer trip I was thinking of going again to Brouwerij Vanuxeem in Ploegsteert, It is absolute beer heaven, I have never seen as many Belgians on sale before. they do some glasses and other things too, but they are quite happy to sell by the bottle, the pack or the crate and they have no probe with plastic. A must see Truffle.

Ah the Flemish stew at the Halve Maan. Yummy Vegster.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've had a Brooklyn EIPA, a Crew Republic Summer Ale and a Rothaus Pils.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Is that list for real?

Certainly is. Quite impressive isn't it, which is why we need a weekend to sample them :)

You only get to sample the beers in a small glass, but a few of them still pack quite a punch.

I went back in 2012, and had a great time. Just a flight to Amsterdam, then a shortish train ride to Bodegraven

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Certainly is. Quite impressive isn't it, which is why we need a weekend to sample them :)

You only get to sample the beers in a small glass, but a few of them still pack quite a punch.

I went back in 2012, and had a great time. Just a flight to Amsterdam, then a shortish train ride to Bodegraven

Impressive? It's the stuff of fantasy/wildest dreams. It really is. Enjoy!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here