Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CMS - Poyet is to blaim for the lack of return

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I think that Ashley Barnes has the chance of developing into a much better player than CMS will ever be. At this point in his career, you can certainly say that he has far better technical skills than CMS. Unfortunately, CMS has a lot to prove above League 1 level. He has had two chances, with two different clubs, and has failed to shine in either. I like the guy, I admire his effort. Unfortunately, he looks to be incapable of playing at a higher level. One thing is for certain, he should not ever think to himself that he should have tried harder. If he drops back down a level, I am sure he will continue to score a lot of goals against that level of defender.

I think I agree with this.... a lot.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Its worth remembering that a decent striker should be able to have an all round game, especially when you pay 3M or so. Each and every decent striker should be able to hold the ball up well enough, bring others into play and be half decent at finishing. To say that CMS's game is just limited to latching on to through balls is nonsense.

I personally was quite excited at the prospect of having him here at the start of the season, but now i have witnessed his all round game for a year, im thinking that even if he did have a strike partner it wouldnt improve him TBH. Whilst his effort is unquestionable, his close control is pretty poor and his finishing isnt great at all. For that money i would have expected his ALL ROUND game to be of a higher quality.

Without wishing to stir it, its obvious CMS is a totally different style of player than Muzza was; Muzza was a Dion Dublin type, good in defence and able to hold the ball up in attack when it was knocked up to him, admittedly against Div 1 standard opposition. CMS doesn't seem to be that type of hold-up player whereas Vokes is. If they can't work in tandem then CMS will effectively be a lone wolf up front. And tbh he doesn't seem THAt adept as a goal-poacher either.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
So could Craig in the championship given the right service, our problem is midfield, how many assists have they made ? Murry had one geat asset,that Craig does not have, ELLIOT BENNET. Case Closed.

I love the way Elliot Bennet is thought by some to be the messiah. They even jizz themselves when he scores for Norwich. WTF.

Id take a crocked vicente in front of bennet all day long.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Without wishing to stir it, its obvious CMS is a totally different style of player than Muzza was; Muzza was a Dion Dublin type, good in defence and able to hold the ball up in attack when it was knocked up to him, admittedly against Div 1 standard opposition. CMS doesn't seem to be that type of hold-up player whereas Vokes is. If they can't work in tandem then CMS will effectively be a lone wolf up front. And tbh he doesn't seem THAt adept as a goal-poacher either.

So if you play both of them, who you going to take out of midfield?

Personally i'd love to see Barnes up front in place of them both and see how that goes. He couldnt do any worse and he'll be playing in his natural position for once.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
But your not comparing like with like.

Your argument is flawed until you see barnes play up front for a season and then compare.

Isn't it more that CMS is or should be in his prime, whereas Barnes is young, and has shown that he has the potential to be a better all round player?

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Am I the only one who thought CMS had one of his best games of the season last night?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If Blackpool go up, I was wondering whether they'd see it as a season too far in the top flight for Phillips. He'd get a bag full in this side he really would.

We were after him last summer but he didn't want to move his family down south as they were settled where they were. What makes you think that situation has changed.

Am I the only one who thought CMS had one of his best games of the season last night?

I agree with you. Think there were several times when he controlled the ball and laid it off, something he hasn't done for the last 9 months. I still think he is not the striker for us and the Poyet wants to play the game. As someone said, he is a young manager and will make transfer mistakes. Let's be honest though, Ferguson and a few other top flight managers make mistakes in the market as well!!!!

geodavies

Jan 8, 2012
Saltdean
How about his 1st touch? It's not good enough often enough sadly. I have no wish to jump on a CMS knocking bandwagon, but he is not the striker we need for the way we play so I'll agree that it seems Poyet signed the wrong player.

Agreed......Had faith in him till last night, when i thought he looked like he was in a league to high.....can't fault his work rate though. If Jason Roberts had been in an Albion shirt we would have got three points

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
We will get there, Gus knows whats needed, we have not got the players at present to allow us to play 4-4-2 and get the best out of CMS

He will score goals I have no doubt. Over the summer the players will come in to do this, keep the faith.

Id love Crofts back to go centrally with Bridcutt, hes only got a year left on his deal at Norwich and is only slippng further down the pecking order there.

I agree with you though he makes run after run, and good ones and is never picked out, with a proper decent striker along side him he will be dynamite in my opinion.

Dont forget its our first season back at this level in a while and Poyets first, if next season after getting the players in Gus now knows we need, and things still havent improved for CMS then maybe we can ask questions.

Last edited:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

I thought he was good also, caused them a lot of problems. Sadly some just dont see what he offers.
He suffers from the same thing as Kenny Miller. Playing on his own up front. His tally is about 11 this season also.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We were after him last summer but he didn't want to move his family down south as they were settled where they were. What makes you think that situation has changed.

Nothing really, I guess I just wished we had him!

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
For me everyone is starting on the lets slate CMS bandwagon and it's very dull, we should be looking at a certain Mr Poyet over this. He bought him for what was a record transfer fee for us, promised him the world, plays him on the left....drops him back or doesnt give him any strike partner to build a partnership/understanding with and has also let him rot on the bench for half the season.

What are people expecting when we are launching 50 yard high balls up field from the back & he's stuck up top alone, he stands no chance as championship defenders dont make the same errors that league one players do, they are bigger and stronger and CMS just doesnt get either enough knock downs from a srtiking partner or enough balls to feet in the area.

CMS has built his career on latching onto through balls, we barely ever put any through to him so what the fcuk are people expecting?

Poyet signed him as the jewel in the crown and CMS must look on in disbelief that A.Barnes can play every week, a guy that when Poyet goes onto another club will drift down into league one where he belongs. It looks to me that he is asking too much of CMS to be able to get a shed load of goals in this team playing the way we play & thats Poyet's biggest mistake since he joined the club, the only saving grace is we should be able to recoup moreor less what we paid in my opinion.

Dont get me wrong he was poor lastnight and just wasnt in the game but he makes 101 good runs and they are missed every fcuking time, it's like it's ignored and then sideways we go again, lastnight was an incredibly frustrating game, dont think it's fair to pinpoint CMS as the issue lastnight, we need a strike partner that he can play with, a good one too....not Sam Bloody Vokes, then we will see a return of the 2 million we spent!
Superb post,any idiot can see where it went wrong and gus is certainly to blame,gus focused to much on defending while isolating attackers.

D

Deleted member 2719

How about his 1st touch? It's not good enough often enough sadly. I have no wish to jump on a CMS knocking bandwagon, but he is not the striker we need for the way we play so I'll agree that it seems Poyet signed the wrong player.

I would agree 100% with that, it's a shame but true.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here