CMS - Poyet is to blaim for the lack of return

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Agree that barnes should be playing as a forward but then if you play 2 up front you have to lose 1 in midfield. Gus loves to pack the midfield because he doesnt like to give the oppo the chance to dominate us through the middle. Unless you have a player who can do the job of the 2 defensive midfielders we currently employ than you will only ever see 1 up front.

Good point. Especially with Bridcutt returning on Saturday

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Are you for real mate? Ashley barnes could score 30+ in League one could he?

Ashley Barnes started 31 times last season and got 18 goals. CMS started 45 times and got 27 goals. Their records for last season are almost identical...

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
In regards to those who are saying Barnes is a better finisher, you must be joking me, ashley barnes who has about 10 shots per game with most of them going high and wide, is that the same Ashley Barnes? One thing Ashley does do is get involved and movement wise he is better, but as finisher no chance otherwise Reading, Leicester and West Ham would have wanted Barnes and that aint ever happening.

Finishing wise, i think we mean within the box/6 yard area. Playing in the positions he does doesnt always allow him to be in that poachers position, which i believe he's half decent at.

Cms's finishing has been at best, untidy where as barnes in the few times he's been in that position has shown more skill.

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
As I said to a mate of mine last night, Gus is a new manager still, Charlie only had a brief stint as assistant manager at Havant&Waterlooville and Taricco also has no previous managerial before this job either. It's an inexperienced management team that will make mistakes, both in transfers and team selections. That really has to be expected.

As for last night, we were playing a Reading side bang in form and with one of the best defences in the league. As a striker you are only going to get a couple of chances. CMS turns when he should square up and lay it off, he lays it off when he should turn and run at the defence, and he just doesn't seem to make the runs you talk of at the right time. I actually thought, 2nd half especially we did play some through balls, did get behind their defence, but CMS just wasn't on the end of anything.

So, are you suggesting we change the way we play for one player, or accept that the player isn't fitting to the way we play and look for an alternative? I honestly think a striker for next season is undoubtedly a priority. CMS will hopefully stay and still have a contribution to make, but with a centre forward that really fits into our system, I think we'll be there or there abouts next season.

I'm suggesting we lay off a guy who's working very hard in a system that does not suit his game and that's Poyet's fault for thinking it would work. For this very reason I think it's crazy to say Vokes or Barnes are better, they might be brought into play better at times but as for striker wise they are no way better that CMS, no way.

I think if were going to persist with one up top then CMS should be sold, I feel for the guy as he was sold the world to come here, promised this and that and accepted less money etc and for he's been fcuked about by our manager who will only play one way and that way has not suited CMS game, its a very unique style....I just hope CMS gets a good move in the summer and bags a fcuking hatrick against us next season.

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
Wow, I have heard it all now, there are people on here that think Ashley Barnes is as good if not better than Craig Mackael Smith, I'm in shock!

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I'm suggesting we lay off a guy who's working very hard in a system that does not suit his game and that's Poyet's fault for thinking it would work. For this very reason I think it's crazy to say Vokes or Barnes are better, they might be brought into play better at times but as for striker wise they are no way better that CMS, no way.

I think if were going to persist with one up top then CMS should be sold, I feel for the guy as he was sold the world to come here, promised this and that and accepted less money etc and for he's been fcuked about by our manager who will only play one way and that way has not suited CMS game, its a very unique style....I just hope CMS gets a good move in the summer and bags a fcuking hatrick against us next season.

This is getting tiresome week after week.

As previosuly stated his all round game should be much better than it is whether you play to his strengths or not. Simple really!!

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

I agree that we should lay off of him really, as nobody can fault his commitment and effort. That is what, for me, determines the merit of when players are fair game for a slagging.

However, for all of his effort, he simply does not have enough quality for this level. To think he has the ability to score three against our defenders is simply ridiculous. Did you watch him against us up there last year? He was exactly the same as he is for us!

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Wow, I have heard it all now, there are people on here that think Ashley Barnes is as good if not better than Craig Mackael Smith, I'm in shock!

But your not comparing like with like.

Your argument is flawed until you see barnes play up front for a season and then compare.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I don't quite get the devotion some players get over others. You actually feel so strongly toward CMS that you would want him to score a hat trick against us!? I don't see it as either Gus's or CMS's fault that it hasn't quite worked out yet, it's just football, you don't always know it's not going to click until you try it.

I also agree that mounting a challenge next season shouldn't be based on Barnes or Vokes as the main centre forward. If Barnes was that good he'd be playing there right now as we have plenty of options in midfield for him to move forward, so I don't think Gus thinks thats the answer either.

It's just not worked out, I'll still clap CMS off and give him every encouragement whenever he players, but that's just life really. If he goes he goes with best regards and thanks, if he stays, I hope he can develop his game so that it fits with what the team are doing. I'm certainly not in either camp of blaming the manager or the player.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I agree that we should lay off of him really, as nobody can fault his commitment and effort. That is what, for me, determines the merit of when players are fair game for a slagging.

However, for all of his effort, he simply does not have enough quality for this level. To think he has the ability to score three against our defenders is simply ridiculous. Did you watch him against us up there last year? He was exactly the same as he is for us!

But NOBODY is questioning his commitment or effort!!

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I don't quite get the devotion some players get over others. You actually feel so strongly toward CMS that you would want him to score a hat trick against us!? I don't see it as either Gus's or CMS's fault that it hasn't quite worked out yet, it's just football, you don't always know it's not going to click until you try it.

I also agree that mounting a challenge next season shouldn't be based on Barnes or Vokes as the main centre forward. If Barnes was that good he'd be playing there right now as we have plenty of options in midfield for him to move forward, so I don't think Gus thinks thats the answer either.

It's just not worked out, I'll still clap CMS off and give him every encouragement whenever he players, but that's just life really. If he goes he goes with best regards and thanks, if he stays, I hope he can develop his game so that it fits with what the team are going. I'm certainly not in either camp of blaming the manager or the player.

Hate to say it but, old dogs and new tricks, spring to mind.

I would love to see CMS be the player i thought he might be for us more than anything but my eyes tell me differently. Against these types of quality championship defenders he has struggled to show the neccesary quality required for a promotion chasing side. I dont like saying it, but its the truth.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

I think that Ashley Barnes has the chance of developing into a much better player than CMS will ever be. At this point in his career, you can certainly say that he has far better technical skills than CMS. Unfortunately, CMS has a lot to prove above League 1 level. He has had two chances, with two different clubs, and has failed to shine in either. I like the guy, I admire his effort. Unfortunately, he looks to be incapable of playing at a higher level. One thing is for certain, he should not ever think to himself that he should have tried harder. If he drops back down a level, I am sure he will continue to score a lot of goals against that level of defender.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
But NOBODY is questioning his commitment or effort!!

I know - so read the post again! I am saying that it is the players who put in no effort that deserve to be slagged of by fans. Players that give their all, but are simply not good enough, do not deserve it.

For me, Charlie Oatway was a classic example. He had very little skill, but the fans were always on his side because we could all see how hard he tried.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
My biggest critisism of the way we play is that we never break at speed we allow the opposition defense to organise themselves this does not suit cms as the through ball is near impossible

Stumpy Tim

I actually thought, 2nd half especially we did play some through balls, did get behind their defence, but CMS just wasn't on the end of anything.

Very much this. There were lots of through balls for him last night, and he didn't anticipate any of them. It was a terrible performance... couldn't latch onto any through-balls, every second touch was a tackle, every pass was overhit... how he lasted eighty minutes I'll never know

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
Yes, give Barnes a couple of years to work on his overall game and I think he could score 30+ in league one with the right service.

So could Craig in the championship given the right service, our problem is midfield, how many assists have they made ? Murry had one geat asset,that Craig does not have, ELLIOT BENNET. Case Closed.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
So could Craig in the championship given the right service, our problem is midfield, how many assists have they made ? Murry had one geat asset,that Craig does not have, ELLIOT BENNET. Case Closed.

I only wish you were right, or he proves to have a much better season next year. However, on the evidence of his performances for us this season, he has failed to take advantage of the chances, limited or otherwise, provided to him. I cannot believe he is capable of getting 30+ goals at this level with or without Elliot Bennett.

The case is closed, but sadly not in his favour as you suggest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports