Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pound 4 Pompey Appeal?

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
Just a random Sunday morning thought, should we not do a 'Pound 4 Pompey' Appeal bucket collection next Saturday? Given what we have been through, I think we should do something. Given we should have a 20,000 crowd, the scale of our bucket collections is on a different level to Withdean. If we could raise £10,000 that would be phenonominal.

If this or something similar has been posted, sorry please ignore!

But just because we have The Amex and are in a good place, I feel we should do something to help - it's not the Pompey fans' fault.

Supporters' Club and volunteers seated inside each of the stands could collect in & around ALL the concourses.

We need a list of who could help & in which stand - each brings at least one bucket. We print the 'Pound 4 Pompey' labels - and off we go. We meet outside say Dick's Bar, stick the labels on the buckets and start collecting from 1.30pm outside The Amex and then move into the concourses pre KO and at half/full time.

Just because we are financially secure, we must not cease to ignore others.

Thoughts?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
If we melted this down we could make lots of pound coins:

article-0-014923D900000578-866_306x423.jpg

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
To a certain extent I do have some sympathy with their fans but they have just lived way beyond their means and each time just gone bust then come back and done the same thing again.

This is where I have a problem about raising money for them, where will it go - to the person who is taking the next 4 parachute payments ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Taking money from them is just adding insult to injury.

Just because we are financially secure, we must not cease to ignore others.

Thoughts?

My thoughts:

a) it's a futile gesture and even £1M is a drop in the ocean. £10k wouldn't be worth the hassle.
b) who would the money go to? Players on £30k a week or gun-running owners? Can you guarantee it won't just get swallowed up?
c) Where are all the Pompey fans' protests? Why should I care if they don't?
d) there's very little goodwill with the Pompey situation. It is different to Wrexham and Plymouth.
e) in reality you'll raise £1000 at most.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I struggle to find sympathy for a club who came out of the last farce and the proceeded to sign kitson on 25k a week wages and who despite knowing the shit they are in this year did not attempt to sell any players to plug the gap in January. And anyone who says about the fans I ask where were they questioning the spending when it was being widely reported they are in the shit.

Football needs an example setting to show everyone that this sort of wreck less spending is not on and I have no issue with Portsmouth being that example

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
We should have a collection but only give them 4p for every £1 we collect and blow the rest on pies.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I touched on this on the other thread, whilst I have little sympathy for the club it self, I do feel sorry for the fans, it's them that will suffer when the club goes under.
Ok they are pretty quiet on the subject but maybe the are just waiting for the inevitable to happen.
Like PNFE says any collection will be a drop in the ocean towards the debt, but it would go a long way to starting up a new club. From the ashes I'm sure an AFC Portsmouth will arise.

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
Nice sentiment & all that but if their own fans don't give a toss, then why should we? I completely agree with previous posts - this is a different scenario to Plymouth or Wrexham. An example needs to be set, so this type of thing is less likely to happen in the future to other football fans. Sounds harsh to Pompey fans but if the tables were turned, i really couldn't see them shaking a bucket for us outside Fratton Park...

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I struggle to find sympathy for a club who came out of the last farce and the proceeded to sign kitson on 25k a week wages and who despite knowing the shit they are in this year did not attempt to sell any players to plug the gap in January. And anyone who says about the fans I ask where were they questioning the spending when it was being widely reported they are in the shit.

Football needs an example setting to show everyone that this sort of wreck less spending is not on and I have no issue with Portsmouth being that example

Exactly spot on..... Wouldn't want to see any club go out of business except Pompey

They really have taken the piss out of every other club in the football league with their carefree attitude and spending. Paying stupid wages on Kitson and Lawrence while other teams have had to sell to balance the books. If they are bailed out will they change ? Like f*** will they.... They will carry on until the next crisis playing at a level they don't deserve.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Well it would certainly have to go in the actual pockets of any non-playing staff who have not been paid, to get any contributions from me.

So two things - are Non-playing staff behind with wages, and exactly how does <say> the cleaner get my money ?

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
The only reason for raising money is if it allowed a fans group to organise a campaign of some description - no way would I donate any money going directly to the club.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Can't do it, sorry - nothing against Pompey and would put money into any club if it kept it alive, but these is too much like a Heroin addict asking for £20 for food, when you know they have a history of always spending it on smack. The intentions are good, but you just know they are going to do it all again.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
When Portsmouth are in the position of Plymouth or Wrexham then they can consider me thinking about showing support,they have far to many opportunities to help themselves correct there own mess first,before they require others help.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Great idea.
Maybe we would be able to raise enough to pay for 12 hours worth of Dave Kitson's wages.
Would make a huge difference to their c£200 million debts.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I take it from the responses so far that it's a no then?

I'm in the Portsmouth deserve nothing from us camp A bucket collection for what purpose? To help poor Kitson make up his pay? They can fall out of the league and start again which is what should happen after their third administration.

I like the 4p in the pound idea

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Gotta say I agree with all on here thus far. I don't want to put some money in a bucket only for it to end up in the wallet of Gaydamak/Chainrai/Dave Kitson.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here