Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Are they 'regular' disc brakes or hydraulic ones?

Apparently the hydraulic brakes are superb and make a massive difference.
Regular disc brakes are no better or worse than normal brakes.

Yep, I have found that out. Disc brakes do not require continual adjustment a but in the rain it did not even stop me.

I have decided I want to record my speed in MPH and miles travelled. What cycle computer is recommended please? Waterproof would help.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yep, I have found that out. Disc brakes do not require continual adjustment a but in the rain it did not even stop me.

I have decided I want to record my speed in MPH and miles travelled. What cycle computer is recommended please? Waterproof would help.

Assuming you're just talking about a very basic model.

Then Catseye in Halfords start at under £20, maybe even a tenner.
They we're plenty good enough for all of us back in the day.

The more singing and dancing you go obviously you're looking a big money.

Garmin, the market leaders basic devise is maybe around £50.
There are other makes, but for a basic ride recorder you won't go far wrong with Catseye.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I picked up a Garmin Edge 200 recently from Tesco, they were scanning at £30, which is a bargain. Not technically a cycle computer, but it gives me a speed readout, tells me how far I have gone and also saves me wasting my phone battery on strava.

Unfortunately, I think they have all gone now.

I have a Mio Cyclo 315. Just don't buy one. There's a decent machine in there somewhere but they keep making an absolute mess of the software. The first software update meant that it wouldn't communicate with the cadence monitor. The next one fixed that but introduced random non-responsiveness of the touch screen (which can only be fixed by formatting the device, and which still hasn't been fixed). The latest update introduced completely new software (which was definitely needed as the old stuff was IE only and was extremely temperamental) which refuses to acknowledge any of the rides that I've done, much less upload them to Strava.

I don't know why, but the idea of disc brakes really appeals to me. I've started tentatively looking for n+2 (I need a cheap bike for riding to the train station and back, which will be n+1) and am drawn to those with hydraulic disc brakes. I really fancy one of the 2015 Cannondales about this time next year when they are in the end of range sales. Perhaps one of these :swoon:

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
image.jpg

Quite like the look of this.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
That's a woosh ! For Me not that much of a geek :blush:

Shimano rather than Campagnolo groupset.

Shimano seems to be on so much stuff, even Italian frames. An Italian bike in particular should really make the effort to be all Italian and stick with Campag. Mind you, most modern frames are all made in China nowadays anyway I suppose.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
And now for the FULL Italian experience...

2014-09-14-2532.jpg

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Shimano rather than Campagnolo groupset.

Shimano seems to be on so much stuff, even Italian frames. An Italian bike in particular should really make the effort to be all Italian and stick with Campag. Mind you, most modern frames are all made in China nowadays anyway I suppose.

Yeah sorry should of realised having a Bianchi ( campag ) will keep looking. :thumbsup:

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
I'm itching to add another bike to he stable, but I'm failing to find something that meets the criteria for my CX/winter bike. The 'must haves' I'm looking for are: carbon frame, disc brakes, 11 speed, fixings plus clearance for mudguards and cost under £1,500 (ideally closer to £1k). Preferably the groupset would be SRAM (which I have on road bike) and disc brakes would be hydraulic.

I don't think such a bike exists. There a few bikes out there for £1k that meet the must have criteria except are aluminium (e.g. Planet X London Road, Cannondale CAADX 105, Ridley X-Bow, Canyon & Rose). There's also a Planet X carbon one for around £1k, but it doesn't have the mudguard fixings (also not sure it's 11 speed).

Googling has only led me to forums where people with similar criteria have resorted to ordering Chinese carbon frames and building up the bike themselves.

Has anyone come across the bike I'm looking for?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here