Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Hmmm! Payday yesterday and another £75 spent on Wiggle:
25mm gatorskin tyres
my first pair of bib shorts
a pocket pump
some stem bolts.

looks like another windy weekend though :angry:

I also bought some bib shorts from Wiggle, as I noticed they stocked some of the Morvelo ones I was after and had a discount on them. Their free returns process has made me use them more and more recently, I buy items in a few different sizes and send back the ones which don't fit. Am I turning into a woman?! ;-)

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Right. Yorks Hill. If you've never done it, but are thinking about it read on.

You have to be at the top of your game to get up it. Think about a recce by car beforehand to appreciate what is coming. Leave well alone if roads are damp.

We failed this morning. I bailed before my mate did. We both had wheel spin which was unsettling. Doubt I'd have made it if dry anyway. I'm gonna need to get a lot fitter to conquer that funker. Shame really, I could have set a better time up Idey instead.

[MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION], cheers buddy! As previously mentioned it was payday here too n the Mrs TrickyOne made the mistake of giving me the card!! Needless to say; an order was placed with Planet X. And it arrived this morning, fickin quality. Shall be using them again so thanks.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Right. Yorks Hill. If you've never done it, but are thinking about it read on.

You have to be at the top of your game to get up it. Think about a recce by car beforehand to appreciate what is coming. Leave well alone if roads are damp.

We failed this morning. I bailed before my mate did. We both had wheel spin which was unsettling. Doubt I'd have made it if dry anyway. I'm gonna need to get a lot fitter to conquer that funker. Shame really, I could have set a better time up Idey instead.

Ha ha! :smile:

A beast of a hill. It comes after about 90 miles in The King of the Downs sportive, which I've done twice.

I failed first time - and was not alone, most around me were also doing the walk of shame.

This year, I was absolutely determined that I'd get up it. I nearly got off several times, but ground it out and got to the top.

It nearly killed me.

It is not a hill I will be seeking out again. Good luck next time, Moto!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not until next summer. If I do it, I doubt I'd return. Nice to say you've done it, but its just not that appealing. I know a few challenging hills that are 'fun' in comparison.
The thing is, if you keep at it by the time you can climb it those 'challenging' hills will actually become fun.
Naturally I don't practice what I preach.

It sounds like Bexley Hill which Colin showed me a couple of weeks ago.
It's one of the very few climbs that goes all the way up, ending in a point.
2 tiers, the first is steep.
There's on recovery time before stage 2.
It then closes in on 20%, winding its way up.
Just as you think you're at the last bend, its not.
The final few hundred yards is well over 20% and looks like a wall.

Nobody gets up it first time.
Naturally I didn't effect that record.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
The thing is, if you keep at it by the time you can climb it those 'challenging' hills will actually become fun.

We'll see. It'll be at least another 6 months before I'll look again. If it were a clean surface and sure to be dry, it would be a different story. When I bailed I had a fair bit left i.e. not collapsed on the bars blowing like a mother funker. I think it goes beyond what I'd like to cover on a ride really. You can push up the likes of Ide without ever thinking you might need a foot down. That's what I'm happier with.

A belated well done to PM for getting up after so many miles. That is proper impressive.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Shit! Just did a lovely ride round Lewes/Barcombe and strava didn't record :angry:
To quote [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION]:-

If its not on Strava it didn't happen.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We'll see. It'll be at least another 6 months before I'll look again. If it were a clean surface and sure to be dry, it would be a different story. When I bailed I had a fair bit left i.e. not collapsed on the bars blowing like a mother funker. I think it goes beyond what I'd like to cover on a ride really. You can push up the likes of Ide without ever thinking you might need a foot down. That's what I'm happier with.

A belated well done to PM for getting up after so many miles. That is proper impressive.
Deffo, the king of the mountains sportive is just stooopid.

The proper big boys do make 'regular' hills so much better.
Even if you just inch up your nemesis, every time up get a little further it'll take a lot of effort away from a 'lesser' club.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Deffo, the king of the mountains sportive is just stooopid.

The proper big boys do make 'regular' hills so much better.
Even if you just inch up your nemesis, every time up get a little further it'll take a lot of effort away from a 'lesser' club.

Give me a long hill at 8% over tortuous nonsense like Yorks Hill any day of the week. I don't believe that hill could ever become enjoyable.

In any way.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Give me a long hill at 8% over tortuous nonsense like Yorks Hill any day of the week. I don't believe that hill could ever become enjoyable.

In any way.
Oh no that one can't ever seem fun, there's something wrong with you if it does.
But sticking it to a beast will then do introduce 'fun' into the long 8%ers.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I honestly don't know how better I'd have done if I hadn't have bailed. It was the reduced traction that accounted for us both. I did Kidds and Mardens on the same run a few months back, so I'm not a total bottler. I guess one difference is I knew those roads to some degree whereas Yorks kept me guessing.

Ide is gonna get some action. Most def.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Back in the day I always had 2 points of failure up Steyning Bostal.
One was certainly where there's a stoney section to the field gate (I can't remember the other).

They were my will I/won't moments.
Early on it was a fairly even battle between me and the climb, maybe 3-3, before I was finally able to never look back.

The thing is irrespective of my performance on the Bostal, I couldn't get to it without going over Coombes (3 short sharp shocks) or Long Furlong (a PM favourite 8% drag).

They are now climbs I can enjoy and even select a gear :ohmy: because of the hard yards.

I'm currently going through the pain barrier on Bury Hill.
For which I hope the plus side will be claiming back Arundel Road, on Strava, from one of Geek lowlifes who took it off me by 10 secs. (Clearly [MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION] time up that climb doesn't count, for obvious reasons :lol:)

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Oh no that one can't ever seem fun, there's something wrong with you if it does.
But sticking it to a beast will then do introduce 'fun' into the long 8%ers.

Yeah, I'll go with that . Agreed.

I've given this some more thought. Hills like Yorks are over the line and not for fannying about with. I get your drift SB, but to keep plugging away, I'd need to revert to platform pedals. It would be much easier to throw yourself to the ground rather than attempt a comedy clip back in attempt. Or turn around? No chance. It was an awkward walk too.

So I agree in part.

Anyway, I've learnt a few things lately. TTing around home helped me get a better feel of the bike, even after 18 months. I've tested and trusted the front a bit more and am a little bolder when cornering in consequence.

Me and my mate hardly ever seem in sync. One grinding while the other spins. He has a slightly higher cruising mph than me and is a better climber whereas I think I'm better when it comes down to head down and push for a few miles. Riding as a pair will help us both I reckon.

If I can reach the point of being able to dance up a cat 5, I'll be able to look at Yorks with a bit more expectation.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Back in the day I always had 2 points of failure up Steyning Bostal.
One was certainly where there's a stoney section to the field gate (I can't remember the other).

They were my will I/won't moments.
Early on it was a fairly even battle between me and the climb, maybe 3-3, before I was finally able to never look back.

The thing is irrespective of my performance on the Bostal, I couldn't get to it without going over Coombes (3 short sharp shocks) or Long Furlong (a PM favourite 8% drag).

They are now climbs I can enjoy and even select a gear :ohmy: because of the hard yards.

I'm currently going through the pain barrier on Bury Hill.
For which I hope the plus side will be claiming back Arundel Road, on Strava, from one of Geek lowlifes who took it off me by 10 secs. (Clearly [MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION] time up that climb doesn't count, for obvious reasons :lol:)

I have 2 points of failure on the Bostal too.

It starts just after the beginning and goes all the way up to just before the top. Either side of these tow points I'm fine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here