Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Since you asked so nicely :p Not going to be able to ride for a couple of weeks.

immac.jpg

I'm banned from buying another bike until I build a bigger shed. There are equations in cycling where the number of bikes you need to own = n +1, where n is the number of bikes you currently own. This needs to be balanced with number of bikes you need to own = s -1, where s is the number of bikes when you're partner will leave you...

Yes indeed I'm aware of the equations, unfortunately (at the moment at least) I think s=2! Like you I'd also need to build a bigger shed, perhaps next year...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've just been for a surprise spin with a mate, who pointing out an embarrassing Campagnolo failure on my part.

Campag doesn't have the little adjuster on the brakes to loosen them in order to get a fully inflated tyre out.
I've always grumbled about this, including last night when I changed my tyres and brake blocks.

***for those not already laughing at me I shall continue***.

So come the ride with Phil, my brakes are tight and I have no play in the screw cable adjuster.

Phil says 'why don't you just loosen the calibers'.
Grabs my brake, pushes the thingy across, and my brakes are widened.

In all my years of Campag I've always bemoaned not having a brake release like a fishing tackle set.
I've always deflated my tyres.
I've always grumbled about it.
And I've always had the ability to loosen the brakes :facepalm:

Still all forgotten now after a rather rapid ride.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You've gotta love cycling.

With the exception of 2 specific crank tools, I've just completely stripped down one of my bikes with a £5 multi-tool, in under an hour.

T'is a shame it'll now take 5 days, shouting, hammering and swearing before I hand all the pieces over to my LBS and ask him to put it back together again!!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Bought this (it was from super smashing Albion fans too) and had a triffic weekend doing victory laps past the stadium and up to Lewes with chums. It's really light, which makes me a bit nervous because I'm used to bikes I can be quite destructive with. But there again I can lift it with one spindly hand.

Would be great to buy you a Harveys sometime by way of thanks. Or if you message me your membership details I'll stick a couple of pints worth on your card.

Good stuff, glad you're pleased with it :thumbsup:

As to the Harveys - thanks for the offer, but if we all bought each other drinks on here for some simple advice we'd all be too pissed to ride our bikes. I've been given a damn sight more quality advice on this thread than I'm ever likely to be able to give back out, so nice to be able to address the balance for a change.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I've just been for a surprise spin with a mate, who pointing out an embarrassing Campagnolo failure on my part.

Campag doesn't have the little adjuster on the brakes to loosen them in order to get a fully inflated tyre out.
I've always grumbled about this, including last night when I changed my tyres and brake blocks.

So come the ride with Phil, my brakes are tight and I have no play in the screw cable adjuster.

In all my years of Campag I've always bemoaned not having a brake release like a fishing tackle set.

Stat, I've your stories. They always seem to be a brilliant mix of "experienced old hand" with a little "newbie cannon fodder" thrown in!

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares

Having done some Googling to get a better picture of how it works (I've never used Campag), it would seem that you certainly aren't the only one not to have known this.

Kind of reminds me of when I first got my Triban 3. After using the thumb lever to go down a gear, it took me 15 minutes to work out I needed to move the brake lever to go back up a gear. I did feel slightly smug when a a few weeks later I was picking something up in Halfords and some guy popped in and had to ask them how to move up a gear on his bike, at least I had figured it out for myself and not revealed my incompetence to the public. Oh.....

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Dear fellow cycling geeks - I was hoping you could offer me a bit of advice. I'm reasonably new to cycling, so far from an expert - and a little suspicious about what I've been told today.

I've taken my bike in for it's first ever proper service - it's about 1 year & (roughly) 6-700 miles old, so some kind of general service is probably overdue.

They've given me a call and said the chain is worn and needs replacing. Nothing to dodgy there - it's probably true - but they've followed it by saying that when replacing a chain, the cogs all need changing too - so if they do anything they have to do it all.

I can't see why a new chain would need a full new set of cogs, but as I say I'm not an expert. Am I being massively paranoid, or am I being ripped off?

Thanks in advance!

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Dear fellow cycling geeks - I was hoping you could offer me a bit of advice. I'm reasonably new to cycling, so far from an expert - and a little suspicious about what I've been told today.

I've taken my bike in for it's first ever proper service - it's about 1 year & (roughly) 6-700 miles old, so some kind of general service is probably overdue.

They've given me a call and said the chain is worn and needs replacing. Nothing to dodgy there - it's probably true - but they've followed it by saying that when replacing a chain, the cogs all need changing too - so if they do anything they have to do it all.

I can't see why a new chain would need a full new set of cogs, but as I say I'm not an expert. Am I being massively paranoid, or am I being ripped off?

Thanks in advance!

I would say that is pretty common. The chain and cassette often wear together.
Changing the chain (cheaper part) earlier before too much wear has occurred could well negate the need for a new cassette but I'll let the experts decide on that bit...

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
I would say that is pretty common. The chain and cassette often wear together.
Changing the chain (cheaper part) earlier before too much wear has occurred could well negate the need for a new cassette but I'll let the experts decide on that bit...

What I'm about to say comes from reading elsewhere rather than personal experience. As manintheblackpajamas says, the chain and cassette wear together so it is common that they are replaced together if they are both worn. However, good maintenance (cleaning and lubing) and replacing the chain more regularly should mean less wear on the cassette, and therefore would mean that you could have a few chains per cassette.

600-700 miles really isn't a lot of use. I would be quite surprised if both needed replacing now. I've read people get more like 2000-3000 miles from a chain. But again it depends what conditions you're riding in (rain, dirt, salt, etc. are going to wear it quicker) and how well you maintain the bike.

You can buy a tool to measure chain wear.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Thanks both for your response.

I agree it's not a lot of miles, but in fairness my maintenance has been pretty sub-standard. It sat doing nothing over winter without a proper clean (my bad, I know :( ) so that probably didn't do it any favours.

I think the answer is probably to go for it, get them both replaced now, and maintain it properly going forward! I'll also have a look into that tool.

Thanks again!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Thanks both for your response.

I agree it's not a lot of miles, but in fairness my maintenance has been pretty sub-standard. It sat doing nothing over winter without a proper clean (my bad, I know :( ) so that probably didn't do it any favours.

I think the answer is probably to go for it, get them both replaced now, and maintain it properly going forward! I'll also have a look into that tool.

Thanks again!

Definitely worth buying this tool. It has two sides, one that tells you when your chain has worn, and needs replacing, and the other one that tells you when that wear has gone past the point when you need a new rear cassette. If you measure regularly enough, you catch it at the right point, and can change the chain without the need to changes the cassette.

700 miles, without regularly cleaning your chain and chainset - I would imagine that a new chain and cassette would be sensible. Not sure about your front cogs though!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Thanks in advance!
Think of the chain and cogs, after considerable wear and tear, as parts of jigsaw puzzle, they just fit together.
It's not a massive difference, you could fit a new chain and think it's fine.

But that would be a false economy as they just won't fit together perfectly.
Then the new wear and tear won't sync up and before you know it you'll be back at the shop, replacing the chain and cassette.
Oh and done properly you'll fell like you've got a new bike, with in itself is worth the extra £40 (or whatever).

Oh and [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] I was out on my new Vittoria tyres, yesterday.
First impressions very nice indeed, good rolling but with a confident amount of grip.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here