Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Very busy with work, but details straight from Planet X:

Very nice Notters! Think you've got yourself a little cracker there that you're going to fall in love with :)

I have Sram Rival on my Verenti and I love it. Sram took a bit of getting used to, having come from Campag, but now I'm used to it I'm well happy. Take time to get used to how the trim works, especially if you get into cadence and keeping it high as you'll be moving up and down the gears a lot more than you might if you're not trying to keep that cadence up. Any questions, fell free to ask, as I've already done some fettling on mine and now got them just how I want them.

One little query. You sure it's an 11-32 on the back? 32 seems an awful long way to go down with a compact, especially as the specs also say you have a medium rear cage and not a long. Mind you, you've got 11 speed, so might be different to 10 speed. If that is your gearing then I hope we see you tackling some serious climbs, whilst riding one handed and taking a sip from your bidon. Which brings me onto bottle cages...

I got a pair of carbon Arundel sideloaders from Ebay. As good as new and got the pair for about the price of what one would have cost new. Fantastic cages to use!, and look the part too. http://www.arundelbike.com/sideloader.html

Enjoy the bike, and look forward to hearing reports of first ride etc. :thumbsup:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Edit: re bottle cages.

Just seen the ones JoePrecious linked.

The blue and white appear to match your bike perfectly, and as you have a large frame then a sideloader like I suggested is not really such a benefit anyway. If it was me I'd be onto those wiggle ones like a flash at that price.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
[MENTION=10856]1066familyman[/MENTION]
Without wishing to sound ignorant, it's supposed to have SRAM's new "climbing gear", so that may explain your surprise at the gear ratio? Slightly concerned about the gear mechanism as I will no doubt be swapping between this and my old shimano-geared bike a fair bit, especially in the winter months.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
[MENTION=10856]1066familyman[/MENTION]
Without wishing to sound ignorant, it's supposed to have SRAM's new "climbing gear", so that may explain your surprise at the gear ratio? Slightly concerned about the gear mechanism as I will no doubt be swapping between this and my old shimano-geared bike a fair bit, especially in the winter months.

Sorry Notters, I really should have limited my gear talk to just bigging up Sram, rather than prattle on and put any doubts in your mind re: ratios etc.

You've absolutely nothing to be concerned about. I still switch between Campag on my now winter hack/out with the kids bike and Sram on my carbon bike and have no problems switching between the two. I love both set ups and feel comfortable on either without having to do too much thinking about it. Switching will become second nature to you.

No need to worry about your gear ratios either. Just means you've got a set up that means no climb should now be beyond you, which can only ever be a good thing :thumbsup:

Enjoy.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
One little query. You sure it's an 11-32 on the back? 32 seems an awful long way to go down with a compact, especially as the specs also say you have a medium rear cage and not a long. Mind you, you've got 11 speed, so might be different to 10 speed. If that is your gearing then I hope we see you tackling some serious climbs, whilst riding one handed and taking a sip from your bidon. Which brings me onto bottle cages...

From what I've seen the most modern groupsets (Shimano and SRAM, anyway) just seem to have 2 derailleur options, a short that'll go up to around 28 and medium which will go up to 32. I opted for an 11-32 on my compact Force 22 setup since I came from a triple. I didn''t fancy going from the triple's 30-28 to the compact 34-28, so 34-32 was the next available option really, although I've purchased a 11-26 to use on flatter routes (it's not been out of the box).

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
From what I've seen the most modern groupsets (Shimano and SRAM, anyway) just seem to have 2 derailleur options, a short that'll go up to around 28 and medium which will go up to 32. I opted for an 11-32 on my compact Force 22 setup since I came from a triple. I didn''t fancy going from the triple's 30-28 to the compact 34-28, so 34-32 was the next available option really, although I've purchased a 11-26 to use on flatter routes (it's not been out of the box).

Thanks, that's encouraging bearing in mind I'm coming from a "granny triple".

Probably not going to be able to ride it much till Sunday!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have a confession to make:-

My name is Stat Brother and I can't cake stop.

I knew Colin would want to stop in Midhurst, today, (he even has a loyalty card).
It must have taken me about 5 miles to get going again.
My legs had ceased up, I felt even more bloated than usual, and so lethargic.
A pointless waste of time.

It was a cracking ride, on some truly shocking roads.
All were wet, covered in leaves, potholes and horse chestnuts, I was either scared poohless or slogging up the next climb.

Now for the 2 great bits.
As said we were relatively dry, until 10 miles from home when the heavens properly opened and the rain was coming down in stair rods.
Right at the very moment we started climbing up through Eartham under a canopy of trees, barely a drop hit us.
The moment we crested the 1/4 mile climb, back out into the open, it stopped.

I saw a non-FKW (Cannondale kit on a Cannondale bike is fine okay) .

Nothing wrong with full, matching kit...unless it is a pro team kit. Was it? If so, Full Kit Wanker, and the Canondale bike only adds to this terrible misdemeanour.

Then going past Ford Prison we saw a Full Kit Wanker.
He was only wearing the full Belgium kit.
It looked great, but I still couldn't do it.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
[MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION], your bike looks lovely. Must try and get a bit of colour in my next Canondale (up yours [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION]).

Have a word with yourself about the accessories. A bottle holder is loose change stuff in the grand scheme of things. You're talking about the difference between a packet of 10 and a packet of 20. All that excitement went to your head!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
[MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION], your bike looks lovely. Must try and get a bit of colour in my next Canondale (up yours [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION]).

Have a word with yourself about the accessories. A bottle holder is loose change stuff in the grand scheme of things. You're talking about the difference between a packet of 10 and a packet of 20. All that excitement went to your head!

:lolol:

Moto, you misunderstand! I love Canondale bikes, but wearing full Canondale kit whilst riding a Canondale...just no.

At l'etape (look at me, I rode l'etape!) there was a guy in full Sky kit riding a Pinarello Dogma, full Sky livery. It made me embarrassed to be British. I avoided him.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
A few teasers before I get it set up properly.

10583967_10152308037637245_3290882837716286740_n.jpg

10639670_10152308037757245_2341467589852674379_n.jpg

1620513_10152308037732245_5792725727544243624_n.jpg

Very nice!

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Hey everyone.

I recently outed myself on the strava club. I'm based in London so unfortunately don't do any of the routes you guys do but it's always interesting to see what people have been up to.

I'm after some advice. Has anyone ever had a professional bike fit? I sprained my knee last year and despite constant tinkering with bike set up i'm still yet to have a totally pain free ride. Are the professional bike fits worth it? I'm kind of worried i'd splash out 200 quid on them only moving my seatpost up 1mm.

I had a fitting done about 6 weeks ago at a place called Cadence in south London. I initially went to them cos I bought a Planet X so was unsure whether I'd got the set-up correct out the box. I was amazed at how thorough they were with the fitting; it was supposed to be a 2 hour appointment but went on for well over 3 hours. They started at the pedals and cleat positions and worked their way up. As a result they changed the position of the cleats on my shoes, raised the saddle, checked the angle and for-aft position but these were both ok, moved the brake lever position, changed the bar angle and reduced the stem length. They also checked my position when riding normally and under heavy load; giving advice as to my body position etc in both circumstances. As a result my bike feels much more comfortable to ride and the ache that I used to get across my shoulders has completely gone. For me it was a worthwhile investment.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I had a fitting done about 6 weeks ago at a place called Cadence in south London. I initially went to them cos I bought a Planet X so was unsure whether I'd got the set-up correct out the box. I was amazed at how thorough they were with the fitting; it was supposed to be a 2 hour appointment but went on for well over 3 hours. They started at the pedals and cleat positions and worked their way up. As a result they changed the position of the cleats on my shoes, raised the saddle, checked the angle and for-aft position but these were both ok, moved the brake lever position, changed the bar angle and reduced the stem length. They also checked my position when riding normally and under heavy load; giving advice as to my body position etc in both circumstances. As a result my bike feels much more comfortable to ride and the ache that I used to get across my shoulders has completely gone. For me it was a worthwhile investment.

These bike fittings...they seem like a good idea!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

How much did it cost you?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The Tour of Beijing is unmissable in my view.

Not because of the cycling, which I'm sure will be lacklustre and 'end of season' throughout, but to see China.

I have just watched last night's highlights, and the crowds were, as expected, incredibly sparse. The landscape was beautiful at times, but the urban areas? Horrible. Carlton:"I don't know who designed these buildings, but Lego may have an interest."

Live coverage of stage 2 about to start on Eurosport.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
:lolol:

Moto, you misunderstand! I love Canondale bikes, but wearing full Canondale kit whilst riding a Canondale...just no.

:thumbsup:

These latest topics have struck a chord with my moto love. Firstly bike fits. I guess they work for some but not possibly all. Reminds me of the major national championship a few years ago. A team brought in 2 new riders with a new manufacturer. One young and one experienced rider. The experienced rider gave really good set up feedback. The younger one didn't; he just ragged it and ended up pissing to the title. Bit like me and the Synapse, felt fine straight away I sat on; we just fit together. I might have fluked a frame that matches best my particular physiology and see no need in analysing that. If I were to spend an Archer or so on a new bike though, I'd probably go for a fit to be absolutely sure I was in optimum harmony with it. Secondly, my preferred styling in terms of kit. Cannondale do some lovely looking stuff. Some of it reminds me of my favourite retro Yamaha stuff.

No ride for me this morning. Obviously. Rats cocks.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Anyone else watching live? It's the most populous country in the World, but there's no one there!

Utterly bizarre, utterly captivating.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here