[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In the meantime here's some cyclocross, which may well be more of a 'thing' for me, this winter:-

[tweet]521289851140726785[/tweet]

BzvkjonIEAALlQj.jpg

[tweet]521302252758110210[/tweet]

[tweet]521304947929796610[/tweet]

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sorry chaps, interloping non-cycling geek. I prefer to run, but as a middle aged plodder I often pick up injuries, so end up using my bike a fair bit to maintain fitness when I can't run. Now, question is, is it worth me getting a decent road bike ? I quite enjoy using my MTB on the road (have added road tyres and clips) and usually pootle along at about 15mph. It's a decent workout for a couple of hours and a few keen cyclist pals have said I should get a road bike 'because it'll be much more enjoyable' but if I am only doing it to maintain fitness, what are the advantages ???? Covering more distance isn't really that important as it's the effort that I need to maintain. I specced out a few bikes and quite liked the look of the Boardman pro carbon team bike but am struggling to see what spending £1200 will do for me. Thoughts appreciated.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry chaps, interloping non-cycling geek. I prefer to run, but as a middle aged plodder I often pick up injuries, so end up using my bike a fair bit to maintain fitness when I can't run. Now, question is, is it worth me getting a decent road bike ? I quite enjoy using my MTB on the road (have added road tyres and clips) and usually pootle along at about 15mph. It's a decent workout for a couple of hours and a few keen cyclist pals have said I should get a road bike 'because it'll be much more enjoyable' but if I am only doing it to maintain fitness, what are the advantages ???? Covering more distance isn't really that important as it's the effort that I need to maintain. I specced out a few bikes and quite liked the look of the Boardman pro carbon team bike but am struggling to see what spending £1200 will do for me. Thoughts appreciated.
Didn't we cover this with you a couple of months ago?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sort of but not really. I thought I had decided to get a road bike, but didn't. I am now trying to decide whether it is even worth it. I know, I know, I am an indecisive waste of space. Feel free to ignore.
If you're doing a job for 2 hours, would you do it with a specific tool or any old tool that almost does the job?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Exactly, nail on head but that doesn't help. The 'job' is maintaining fitness, not getting as far as I can in a given time, and slogging along on a less efficient machine arguably does that just as well as a much better tool........doesn't it ??

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In a word, no.

Your 'slogging' is exactly that, a slog.

Get the right bike for the terrain being ridden and train accordingly.

It's not just a case of riding further, although obviously that's an option.
But you'll be able to train for specific fitness using intervals, hills, speed and/or recovery rides.

It'll be comfortable, enjoyable and therefore more appealing.

Oh and if you don't believe me!! keep an eye on this thread and see what [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] made of his first road bike ride today.
After slogging around on an old hybrid, for most of the summer

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
In a word, no.

Your 'slogging' is exactly that, a slog.

Get the right bike for the terrain being ridden and train accordingly.

It's not just a case of riding further, although obviously that's an option.
But you'll be able to train for specific fitness using intervals, hills, speed and/or recovery rides.

It'll be comfortable, enjoyable and therefore more appealing.

Oh and if you don't believe me!! keep an eye on this tread and see what notters made of his first road bike ride today.
After slogging around on an old hybrid, for most of the summer

Thanks.....makes perfect sense. Hoping to be spending most of my time running but cross training (even if not injured) is critical. Wrong time of year to be thinking about cycling perhaps but poss right time of year for a bargain LOL.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks.....makes perfect sense. Hoping to be spending most of my time running but cross training (even if not injured) is critical. Wrong time of year to be thinking about cycling perhaps but poss right time of year for a bargain LOL.
Now is definitely the time to go shopping.
But there will still be plenty of opportunities to ride, throughout the winter
It's been a crappy week, but today was almost ideal to get some miles in.

Even with a narrow window of time, set yourself up a 10 mile route then get round it in half an hour.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Now is definitely the time to go shopping.
But there will still be plenty of opportunities to ride, throughout the winter
It's been a crappy week, but today was almost ideal to get some miles in.

Even with a narrow window of time, set yourself up a 10 mile route then get round it in half an hour.

I did 30 miles this morning in about 1.55 on the MTB (with road tyres), conditions were good, but I was overtaken by 2 or 3 roadies who simply flew past............

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
...and had a very strong recommendation from someone 'ITK' to get a Boardman pro carbon (whilst recognising it means a trip to H#%fords, the bikes are apparently pretty good).

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Exactly, nail on head but that doesn't help. The 'job' is maintaining fitness, not getting as far as I can in a given time, and slogging along on a less efficient machine arguably does that just as well as a much better tool........doesn't it ??

Maintaining fitness....yes. That is a thing.

But it is so much more beautiful on a road bike. It goes beyond the functional, and reaches levels of enjoyment that will surprise masochistic runners like yourself. Riding a road bike is not just about mile munching, it is spiritually enlightening. And it gets you fit.

And I don't care how much of a tw@t that I sound like writing that.

Three 660 ml Punk IPAs if that is any sort of excuse.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Maintaining fitness....yes. That is a thing.

But it is so much more beautiful on a road bike. It goes beyond the functional, and reaches levels of enjoyment that will surprise masochistic runners like yourself. Riding a road bike is not just about mile munching, it is spiritually enlightening. And it gets you fit.

And I don't care how much of a tw@t that I sound like writing that.

Three 660 ml Punk IPAs if that is any sort of excuse.

Almost convincing.......and don't worry, do you think I didn't expect a bit of twattery on a 'cycling geeks' thread ?!!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As a rule the Boardman range is the best specced for RRP.

But as said it's currently sale (+ cheeky offer) time so it'll be worth your while popping round a few Local Bike Shops to see what's about. Esp as you have a decent chunk of cash to spend.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
...and had a very strong recommendation from someone 'ITK' to get a Boardman pro carbon (whilst recognising it means a trip to H#%fords, the bikes are apparently pretty good).

A workmate has just bought an entry level Carrera from Halfords, not sure whether it was the Virtuoso or Vanquish. He's come from a mountain bike and just wants to get fitter with short evening rides and commutes, nothing serious (yet, but he might get the bug). After just one short ride he came into work and was waxing lyrical at how much of a difference the road bike ride was. You couldn't wipe the smile off his face, he was just blown away!.

The Boardman's always get great reviews, and if you're up at that pro carbon price point then you can't really go wrong. But also, up at that price point you're open to a whole world of other possibilities too. It's definitely worth pushing the boat out as far as you can and getting something decent where you'll really feel the difference. Several on here have gone for full carbon Planet X bikes which have amazing spec for the price and every review has come back positive. October is also the optimum month to buy a bike as you get last year's models at knock down prices. Don't rule out secondhand too - bargains do come up occasionally, although a lot are way over priced at the moment in a sellers market.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
A workmate has just bought an entry level Carrera from Halfords, not sure whether it was the Virtuoso or Vanquish. He's come from a mountain bike and just wants to get fitter with short evening rides and commutes, nothing serious (yet, but he might get the bug). After just one short ride he came into work and was waxing lyrical at how much of a difference the road bike ride was. You couldn't wipe the smile off his face, he was just blown away!.

The Boardman's always get great reviews, and if you're up at that pro carbon price point then you can't really go wrong. But also, up at that price point you're open to a whole world of other possibilities too. It's definitely worth pushing the boat out as far as you can and getting something decent where you'll really feel the difference. Several on here have gone for full carbon Planet X bikes which have amazing spec for the price and every review has come back positive. October is also the optimum month to buy a bike as you get last year's models at knock down prices. Don't rule out secondhand too - bargains do come up occasionally, although a lot are way over priced at the moment in a sellers market.

Good stuff. I looked at these last week and to the novice eye they looked pretty good, and were being knocked out at half price or thereabouts, but my 'guru' said go carbon as I wouldn't regret it (and if I didn't, would probably end up upgrading later anyway).

Luckily I am out of work at the mo so will do some scouting around.....bit difficult when you don't know what to look for though.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I was having an Ebay mooch earlier today and came across this locally. The spec for the price just seems amazing, although it's not exactly a bike for a middle aged 'maintaining fitness' type rider, more a proper race machine.

But blimey!, £800 wheelset and full Campag Super Record groupset for that price!, before even going into the frame. I wonder if there's something I'm missing here on this one? I don't like the look of that intergrated seatpost mind.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191340827058?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Good stuff. I looked at these last week and to the novice eye they looked pretty good, and were being knocked out at half price or thereabouts, but my 'guru' said go carbon as I wouldn't regret it (and if I didn't, would probably end up upgrading later anyway).

Luckily I am out of work at the mo so will do some scouting around.....bit difficult when you don't know what to look for though.

:lol: He's not wrong. Mind you, the other option is get yourself a decent starter first and then upgrade to a full carbon down the line thus giving you a winter hack and a 'best' bike :thumbsup:

Best thing is always ride before you buy if you possibly can. I rode a Ribble Evo Pro Carbon. Absolutely loved the look of it and was even more made up to see it had full Campag Centaur groupset. Had I been buying without trying the look and spec would have sold me for sure. However, having rode it I soon knew it wasn't the bike for me. Felt sluggish and just not what I'd expected a full carbon to feel like, having not owned one before. Anyway, long story short, settled on a secondhand Verenti Rhigos 3 in the end as the test ride sold me straight away and the price meant I bit his hand off. Not saying I got a 'better' bike than the Ribble, but I got the bike that felt just right for me at a price I could easily justify. That's the bottom line really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports