Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I was referring more to the width (and puncture resistance) rather than tred, a wider tire can be run at a lower pressure, lower pressures give more grip (but can give more rolling resistance). I think I've also read that having a lower pressure means there's more chance of the tyre rolling over an object that could puncture it at a higher pressure.

So by all means get a Gatorskin, but try at 25mm or 28mm version run at a lower pressure than a 23mm tire.

I've always understood it to be the complete opposite.

Low pressure is more likely to result in punctures, and high pressures should offer more puncture resistance, both from pinch flats and objects - as a general rule of thumb.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I was referring more to the width (and puncture resistance) rather than tred, a wider tire can be run at a lower pressure, lower pressures give more grip (but can give more rolling resistance). I think I've also read that having a lower pressure means there's more chance of the tyre rolling over an object that could puncture it at a higher pressure.

So by all means get a Gatorskin, but try at 25mm or 28mm version run at a lower pressure than a 23mm tire.

Lower pressure gives more grip, but is more susceptible to punctures than at high pressure, especially pinch punctures. In wet / slippery conditions it's always worth considering knocking 10 - 20 psi off your normal pressures even if that compromises your puncture resistance slightly.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Deep heat. :blush:

Slap it on all over if its really cold! :lolol:

289123573_01507c2797.jpg

pcol

Nov 1, 2010
Hey everyone.

I recently outed myself on the strava club. I'm based in London so unfortunately don't do any of the routes you guys do but it's always interesting to see what people have been up to.

I'm after some advice. Has anyone ever had a professional bike fit? I sprained my knee last year and despite constant tinkering with bike set up i'm still yet to have a totally pain free ride. Are the professional bike fits worth it? I'm kind of worried i'd splash out 200 quid on them only moving my seatpost up 1mm.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
ALL THINGS WINTER - sub section THE BIKE

I don't really do anything different.

ALL THINGS WINTER - sub section THE RIDER

I wear more and put up with cold feet.

That concludes today's seminar, tea and biscuits will be served in the atrium.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
I've always understood it to be the complete opposite.

Low pressure is more likely to result in punctures, and high pressures should offer more puncture resistance, both from pinch flats and objects - as a general rule of thumb.

Yes, lower pressures make pinch flats more likely, should have added that but I kind of overlooked it as a given!

Seems there is some debate as to whether high pressure makes it more/less likely to cause objects to stick into the tire. The following site makes the claim that I referred to that lower pressures make sharp objects less likely to puncture the tire. http://www.cyclorama.net/viewArticle.php?id=157

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Hey everyone.

I recently outed myself on the strava club. I'm based in London so unfortunately don't do any of the routes you guys do but it's always interesting to see what people have been up to.

I'm after some advice. Has anyone ever had a professional bike fit? I sprained my knee last year and despite constant tinkering with bike set up i'm still yet to have a totally pain free ride. Are the professional bike fits worth it? I'm kind of worried i'd splash out 200 quid on them only moving my seatpost up 1mm.

I have never met anyone who's had a bike fitting. That's £200 you could be spending on something tangible, and I would bet that you're right - they'll raise your seat post by 1mm.

I think they are a total rip off.

What does your doctor say?

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares

I have never met anyone who's had a bike fitting. That's £200 you could be spending on something tangible, and I would bet that you're right - they'll raise your seat post by 1mm.

Well I guess I need to hold my hand up here and admit that I have an appointment for a bike fit in November. In fact it's a double bike fit, it's a 4 hour session to fit both my TT bike and my road bike.

Therefore, I cannot really comment on whether it will be value for money, also I'm looking for performance improvements rather than increase comfort (though I'll be happy with a more comfortable ride). I'll be paying £200 as I get a 20% discount for Triathlon England membership. The main driver for the fit was the TT bike, which I do think is slightly more difficult to find the correct fit for due to the considerations of flexibility and aerodynamics. The particular fitter I'm using (Andy from Bike Science in Bristol) was recommended by at least 5 members of my Triathlon club.

One of those was someone who had his road bike fitted and I consider an experienced cyclist (goes on cycling holidays in France, etc). His adjustment resulted in a 3cm raising of his saddle (plus lots of other tiny tweaks), and he's immediately said he's noticed an improvement in his hill climbing. Now I guess you could say he should have just spent more time reading up on correct fitting and experimenting. But the other side of the argument is that he would never have done that, so the £120 he's spent has possibly resulted in the biggest ever performance improvements he's going to get per £ (other than training).

Other arguments for having a fit is that they can easily try various different things such as cleat shims, inner soles, different stems (lengths and angles) and stem spacers. If experimenting with these yourself it could become very costly if you have to purchase lots of parts trying to find the perfect fit.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Well I guess I need to hold my hand up here and admit that I have an appointment for a bike fit in November. In fact it's a double bike fit, it's a 4 hour session to fit both my TT bike and my road bike.

Therefore, I cannot really comment on whether it will be value for money, also I'm looking for performance improvements rather than increase comfort (though I'll be happy with a more comfortable ride). I'll be paying £200 as I get a 20% discount for Triathlon England membership. The main driver for the fit was the TT bike, which I do think is slightly more difficult to find the correct fit for due to the considerations of flexibility and aerodynamics. The particular fitter I'm using (Andy from Bike Science in Bristol) was recommended by at least 5 members of my Triathlon club.

One of those was someone who had his road bike fitted and I consider an experienced cyclist (goes on cycling holidays in France, etc). His adjustment resulted in a 3cm raising of his saddle (plus lots of other tiny tweaks), and he's immediately said he's noticed an improvement in his hill climbing. Now I guess you could say he should have just spent more time reading up on correct fitting and experimenting. But the other side of the argument is that he would never have done that, so the £120 he's spent has possibly resulted in the biggest ever performance improvements he's going to get per £ (other than training).

Other arguments for having a fit is that they can easily try various different things such as cleat shims, inner soles, different stems (lengths and angles) and stem spacers. If experimenting with these yourself it could become very costly if you have to purchase lots of parts trying to find the perfect fit.

I hope you get what you want, and deserve, from the fitting.

My opinion was based on nothing more than gut feeling, and the seemingly over the top price for this service. I'd prefer to put the money toward a new set of wheels.

Happy to admit that I am probably wrong though. I often am!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I saw a non-FKW (Cannondale kit on a Cannondale bike is fine okay) nearly get it wrong, stayed clipped in at red lights (honestly) holding onto the barrier/fence thing. If he'd have misjudged it...

pcol

Nov 1, 2010

I'd be interested in hearing about your experience. Do keep us posted.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I saw a non-FKW (Cannondale kit on a Cannondale bike is fine okay) nearly get it wrong, stayed clipped in at red lights (honestly) holding onto the barrier/fence thing. If he'd have misjudged it...

Nothing wrong with full, matching kit...unless it is a pro team kit. Was it? If so, Full Kit Wanker, and the Canondale bike only adds to this terrible misdemeanour.

But the red lights bit? I virtually always stay clipped in if I can hold onto the fence, or even the traffic light itself. I always feel at my most vulnerable re-cleating when the lights change and some tosser is revving up behind me.

pcol

Nov 1, 2010

Had a couple of MRI scans and they can't find anything massively wrong about from some patella inflammation. They t
reluctantly offered to do some "exploratory surgery" but I declined.

They said cycling should improve it. I just can't get over these pain issues.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Had a couple of MRI scans and they can't find anything massively wrong about from some patella inflammation. They t

I hope it works out. Cycling, being non impact, is always the sensible choice (and that's before you consider its beauty and style).

But I think the exploratory surgery could be a sensible idea.

In my humble opinion, like.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares

Are you using clipless pedals? If so, what type?

I was experiencing pain in one of my knees during longer rides using SPD-SL cleats, I switched to Speedplay Zero which have a lot of float, and the pain has never returned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here