Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Have you tried turning it off and on again?
I was going to say that...

...what about hitting it really hard with a big hammer?

Can't you get at it from the side.
It's a minor miracle any crank arm can stay on, looking like that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Both of you can kiss my ass!

Could you not either drill down into the bolt, and 'corkscrew' it out.
Or cut across the top and turn it into a screw.

Admittedly you'll need to know you can replace the bolt.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Fair enough, I'm glad your new friends could help!!

This is the problem from another forum, I think they must be Stronglight Super Custom cranks with 16mm bolts, so I'm going to need to drill the bolts out, or cut the cranks off!

The thing to watch out for is 16mm crank bolts. DON'T USE THESE - EVER! These were used by two European manufacturers: Stronglight (France) and Zeus (Spain). Stronglight used to use a very big countersink for their oversized crank bolt head - 23.35mm, which meant that the old Stronglight cranks would only pull off with a special extractor that doesn't work with anything else. Stronglight went to a 22mm countersink (the same one that everyone else used, because everyone else copied Campagnolo) almost 30 years ago, and abandoned the 16mm bolts at the same time. But if you're rooting around in a junk drawer, don't take these by accident - check them against the countersink in your crank, to be sure you'll have plenty of space to get a wrench in.

Zeus also used an oversized bolt, but they used the same 22mm countersink as Campagnolo - so there's almost no space to fit a wrench in between the bolt head and the side of the countersink. Zeus made their own special thin-walled 16mm peanut butter wrench, but they're very hard to find. Avoid the problem, and get 15mm or 14mm bolt-heads.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Anyone else get their RideLondon start time last night? I have 7:27AM, wave K.

Yep, Wave E, 7.45 kick off. Car park booked, I will have to get up at about 3.00am. :down:

The getting up, finding your wave queuing system, all a bit of an arse. I made a right mess of getting there too, got lost from my sisters in Balham, went up the Blackwall Tunnel thinking it was closed but it was the other side that was closed, and I was at least 30mins late to my wave which luckily didn't depart on time.

Once you get going though, amazing, flying through Blackwall Tunnell (the right side!) then have a full 3 lanes for just cyclists flying into London is just the best 30mins of riding you could wish for. Loads of groups form, great fun getting in mini pelotons and working together. Good luck and hope you have a great time!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
[MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION], have you tried your local garage? They often have tools to get into tight spots. You never know.

I missed a great opportunity to get a 16mph long ride in yesterday. My mate is at Silverstone, so I had all options open again. I took last week's route and modified it a bit. Firstly, I adjusted the flat run in to keep it flatter for longer but then, the brain fell out. There is a fork near my puncture woes site of week that I've often fancied a mooch up. It was a little uphill, or so it looked. After a while, a crawler lane appeared and it ended up a cat 4. The downhill to get me back on track was a tiny twisty dirty dark little lane that you could not read, so could not bone it. And it wasn't that obvious where to turn either. I gave it a go and was in with a shout, but just couldn't do it. I know what to do now, but not sure when I'll get another chance.

:ffsparr:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION], have you tried your local garage? They often have tools to get into tight spots. You never know.

I missed a great opportunity to get a 16mph long ride in yesterday. My mate is at Silverstone, so I had all options open again. I took last week's route and modified it a bit. Firstly, I adjusted the flat run in to keep it flatter for longer but then, the brain fell out. There is a fork near my puncture woes site of week that I've often fancied a mooch up. It was a little uphill, or so it looked. After a while, a crawler lane appeared and it ended up a cat 4. The downhill to get me back on track was a tiny twisty dirty dark little lane that you could not read, so could not bone it. And it wasn't that obvious where to turn either. I gave it a go and was in with a shout, but just couldn't do it. I know what to do now, but not sure when I'll get another chance.

:ffsparr:
Weren't you into the wind on your flatter section?

I went down a new road on Thursday, either side of Milland.
Not long after turning in there was a 25% descent sign, 'oh exciting'.
It didn't feel that steep but a great run off none the less.
The road carried on descending at 2-4% for a few miles, through peaceful countryside and villages.
Then the gentle descent became a gentle incline and eventually the penny dropped and I thought 'oh s***, come on then...where are you'.
Sure enough a mile or so later I'm slogging up a steep climb on a poor quality, single lane, farm track that wouldn't look out of place in Basra.
The really weird thing was it was only a stones throw from the A272 and civilization.

Gotta love cycling.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Weren't you into the wind on your flatter section?

I went down a new road on Thursday, either side of Milland.
Not long after turning in there was a 25% descent sign, 'oh exciting'.
It didn't feel that steep but a great run off none the less.
The road carried on descending at 2-4% for a few miles, through peaceful countryside and villages.
Then the gentle descent became a gentle incline and eventually the penny dropped and I thought 'oh s***, come on then...where are you'.
Sure enough a mile or so later I'm slogging up a steep climb on a poor quality, single lane, farm track that wouldn't look out of place in Basra.
The really weird thing was it was only a stones throw from the A272 and civilization.

Gotta love cycling.

In terms of wind, we've all been out in worse. It was enough to be sapping yet attackable at the same time if that makes sense. The toughest bits were straight on and open roads. Down that part sometimes the 'cover' doesn't help. Yesterday it did.

Still have reasons to be cheerful. Rather conveniently on that route the start of a regular TT section is where my 15 mile warm up kicks in so I can hit a decent average for a few miles (well, decent for me but still less than what 'someone' can do for much longer). Thing is, operation stack put looks of vehicles on it yesterday so it was a bit hairy. I know I can do a 16 too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In terms of wind, we've all been out in worse. It was enough to be sapping yet attackable at the same time if that makes sense. The toughest bits were straight on and open roads. Down that part sometimes the 'cover' doesn't help. Yesterday it did.

Still have reasons to be cheerful. Rather conveniently on that route the start of a regular TT section is where my 15 mile warm up kicks in so I can hit a decent average for a few miles (well, decent for me but still less than what 'someone' can do for much longer). Thing is, operation stack put looks of vehicles on it yesterday so it was a bit hairy. I know I can do a 16 too.

All good then, nearly there.
Being so close to 16mph riding solo with 30 odd miles wind effected, I can't help thinking you'll be comfortably through that target and onto the next very soon.

us civilians should NEVER look upon 'him' :lol: as anything other than a god.
Otherwise only madness will follow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here