Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Heavily laden panniers? That means you must have a pannier rack :ohmy: :lolol:

We are not talking about bikes for beardy weirdies to ride to country pubs here. Proper road bikes, where the thought of attaching more than two bottle cages would be aesthetically displeasing, that is what most of are thinking about.

Yes, I am joking, a little, but some of my point stands. If you have panniers you probably want more stopping power, don't think anyone would disagree with that, but on a pure road bike they are unnecessary. I think it is safe to assume that unless otherwise stated that people on here are talking about some sort of dream machine weight weeny carbon fibre bike. We do all after all still like to think we could be just a bit faster if we had one of those.

Oh yes, I completely agree. I don't lust for them on my best bike. I do think of my dear Eeyore as a road bike though although it's got the rear rack. I mean I always pump its 23mm tyres to 100psi as I can't fit 25mm tyres under its mudguards. Oh, I see your point.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Question: where do we stand on tyres? How often do you change yours?
I seem to be getting about 2000 miles out of the back and 3000 on the front before I start to feel a bit like I'm riding on ice.

A mate of mine who is a good deal larger at around 100kg barely gets a 1000.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
:bounce:

Ok geeks can anyone commit to a ride on Saturday morning?
The earlier the better for me, I appreciate there's a big difference between my early and everybody else's.

My opening gambit for a route would be to head north in a devils dyke direction getting to Haywards Heath and Lindfield cross country (although I don't have the local knowledge for that).
From Lindfield turn right to Sharpthorne via Highbrook.
Coming back down to the Beacon parallel with the A275, through the likes of Horsted Keynes, Scaynes Hill and Wivlesfield.

I think that'll come in at about 60 miles.

Obviously that can all go out of the window in favour of a route specifically tailored to those who are riding.

I think I need to lie in on Saturday, Stat. It's been a Hell of a week...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No probs chaps, maybe next time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm gonna pay for that later. The target is now 17.
I bloody well told you.
I knew you'd smash through 16 mph like it was walking pace.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just managed my first 20 miler, mainly flat but it's a start.
Well done, do you have a computer or Strava app on your phone.

If so head over and sign onto the Geeks Strava page, link in my signature.
It kind of like Facebook for bikes, where we all our rides get automatically logged.

If you take to it, you'll find it a good place to find new routes and roads plus get further, much needed, encouragement.

Just don't forget to introduce yourself.

Well done, where did you cycle?

Out from Burgess Hill to hickstead and then down the 23 to the slip road at Sayers common and back.

Not quite the standard of you lot and not exactly quickly either but my mantra now is "it doesn't matter how fast you're going, you're still lapping everyone on the couch"

Can see myself getting addicted to this.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Dog Problems

probably don't get much bother over in blighty,but unfortunately I don't think dog leads have yet to be invented this side of the channel

I live in a small village and to be honest over the last 5 years I've only been chased around half a dozen times and bitten once in the foot

dogs in the countryside here are used purely for security so are often free to roam and a little sauvage

just recently the same dog has been loose on the same strech of road,I could change my route but the stretch is just before my favourite colline

so what do you recommend,apparently you can buy Pepper spray that clips onto your handlebars,anyone tried this?

or maybe a high pitched whistle???

it's a real problem because there's literally no one around for long periods of my tour,so a confronting a dog head on is really shit or bust

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Out from Burgess Hill to hickstead and then down the 23 to the slip road at Sayers common and back.

Not quite the standard of you lot and not exactly quickly either but my mantra now is "it doesn't matter how fast you're going, you're still lapping everyone on the couch"

Can see myself getting addicted to this.

Dont worry I am in the same position, it is enjoyable to get out and keep up with it if you can (easier said then done)

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

"it doesn't matter how fast you're going, you're still lapping everyone on the couch"

Exactly this. It's about getting there.

As Stat mentioned, Strava is a great app to record your rides - and it helps increase motivation even further.

Keep it up Hillian, you'll be amazed what it'll do for you both mentally and physically.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've just woken up on the sofa and found (the previously very busy) Jnr Stat has taken himself off to bed.

It's all rock 'n' roll in stat towers this afternoon. :lolol:

Well done, do you have a computer or Strava app on your phone.

If so head over and sign onto the Geeks Strava page, link in my signature.
It kind of like Facebook for bikes, where we all our rides get automatically logged.

If you take to it, you'll find it a good place to find new routes and roads plus get further, much needed, encouragement.

Just don't forget to introduce yourself.

Tried to but it keeps asking for my card details. Not sure about that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Some top getting-up-too-quickly-dizzy-spells this afternoon.

???
For me it's right leg cramp, when getting up.
Pretty standard stuff, much to the amusement of everybody else.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Dog Problems

probably don't get much bother over in blighty,but unfortunately I don't think dog leads have yet to be invented this side of the channel

I live in a small village and to be honest over the last 5 years I've only been chased around half a dozen times and bitten once in the foot

dogs in the countryside here are used purely for security so are often free to roam and a little sauvage

just recently the same dog has been loose on the same strech of road,I could change my route but the stretch is just before my favourite colline

so what do you recommend,apparently you can buy Pepper spray that clips onto your handlebars,anyone tried this?

or maybe a high pitched whistle???

it's a real problem because there's literally no one around for long periods of my tour,so a confronting a dog head on is really shit or bust

Just pedal faster:wink:

But seriously, I feel for you. Drove down a country lane in a works van once and two border collies were just running loose outside a farmhouse and chased the van snarling and trying to attack it. Tried the same lane a few weeks later and exactly the same thing. Thank God I wasn't on a bike as I'm certain any cyclist would be bitten by those dogs.
Not sure what the answer is to be honest short of just avoiding known dodgy spots.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here