Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Single Malt

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I want to get a decent single malt whisky for xmas, particularly enjoyed a friends round the camp fire in the summer (don't recall what it was).

Don't drink a huge amount of it, so wanted to get a good quality one (but hopefully not requiring a bank loan).

Any suggestions welcome.:whisky:

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I want to get a decent single malt whisky for xmas, particularly enjoyed a friends round the camp fire in the summer (don't recall what it was).

Don't drink a huge amount of it, so wanted to get a good quality one (but hopefully not requiring a bank loan).

Any suggestions welcome.:whisky:

Now you are talking my language,.... (all available on most mail order sites)

1) Scottish Lowland - Auchentoshen - very smooth.
2) Irish Grain Whiskey - Greenore.
3) Welsh Whisky - Penderyn - this is nectar.
4) Expensive, but THE BEST - Midleton Rare from Ireland.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
like a malt with robust character myself especially peated try something from ISLAY Lagavullin is heavenly but not cheap!
For me the Islay malts are just too 'rough',.. I prefer something smooth, hence the Lowlands and the Welsh and Irish selections. If I am pushed to name one from Islay that I would drink,... Bunnahabhain would be my choice.

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
like a malt with robust character myself especially peated try something from ISLAY Lagavullin is heavenly but not cheap!
My favourite Islay has to be Laphroaig...necter of the Gods!

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Laphroaig and Talisker are the supreme Islay malts. If you like something more subtle then Isle of Jura is hard to beat.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Highland Park. :thumbsup:

Now you are talking my language,.... (all available on most mail order sites)

1) Scottish Lowland - Auchentoshen - very smooth.
2) Irish Grain Whiskey - Greenore.
3) Welsh Whisky - Penderyn - this is nectar.
4) Expensive, but THE BEST - Midleton Rare from Ireland.

I may have to wait for the recession to end before going for the Midleton Rare. I think smooth is definitely the verb I'm aiming for. Reviews for the auchentoshan appear right up my street. [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION], any particular Highland Park? This one sounded good...highland-park-13-year-old-single-cask-master-of-malt-whisky.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Laphroaig and Talisker are the supreme Islay malts. If you like something more subtle then Isle of Jura is hard to beat.
Good calls. I LOVE the peaty taste of Laphroaig.

It's sometimes sneered at by some of the more snobby fans of single malts (for being too commercial), but I still love The Glenlivet. Just opened my last bottle, so with a few gentle hints I should get a new supply for Christmas!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I can see this thread maybe providing more questions than answers! I guess it's a case (excuse the pun) of diving in...

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'll have to get back to you with details on the bottle I am QUAFFING at home. :thumbsup:

Of course everyone should bow down to your superior knowledge of whisky, you did start at such a young age.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

this. though never tried Irish. i reckon there's something similar to wines with malt whiskey, unless you are a proper connoisseur you would note much difference between £30 and £130 bottle, and what one person or group thinks is the best, another might find ordinary.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Depends on how sophisticated your taste buds are feeling.

As others have said, Tallisker, Laphroaig or Lagavullin are all up there for the real connoisseurs, but the extreme smoky peatiness can be a bit too much for the uninitiated.

Highland Park and Glenmorangie are both great and easy to like.

One that's very smooth, but still excellent, and probably the easiest to like of all, for non-whisky drinkers, is Glengoyne. It's the southernmost highland single malt (just north of Glasgow), and the only one (or so they say) in which the water contains no peat at all, making it much softer on the palate than the others. Still lovely though.

Last edited:

Matrix10

Jun 7, 2011
Bexhill
My favourite Islay has to be Laphroaig...necter of the Gods!

Oh! Laphroig, what a heaven sent liquid of pure ecstasy. My favourite so far by a mile although some find the peaty taste to be acquired yet I think it makes it stand out from the rest.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
My three faves are on this thread.

Another vote for laphroiag for me - adding a lirttle bit of water just makes the peatiness come alive. Also has fantastic 'legs' neat

Auchentoshan is my session malt - love it to pieces and first tasted it on my stag do in edinburgh

Middleton Very Rare is superb. If you cant stretch to this then the jameson 12 yr is a good substitute (a bit like a preening peacock for harley)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here