Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
For those who still think Trump has nothing to hide, 'The Comey Rule' is a jaw dropping dramatisation of Ex FBI director James Comey's memoir 'A Higher Loyalty'.

Brendon Gleeson's portrail of Trump is stomach churning.

This smoking gun of a two part tv show will finish the Trump administration.

10/10.

Binged watched it last Saturday, quality drama, without wishing to spoil the Egypt lie summed up everything we are now witnessing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
After such a comprehensive review, I'd be mad not to give it a run.

:lol:

While writing that it occurred to me I could list where I felt it was drawing it's influences from.
But as the main one, in my mind, is the Coen Brothers, that probably isn't going to help an objective review.

Homage or rip off - You decide?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
4 episodes in to The Vow. Amazing insight as to how the vulnerable and suggestible can be drawn in to a cult, and the subsequent dangers. Scam, pyramid, call it what you will.

Great.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the_vow/s01

It's showing on Sky Documentaries this weekend. Though, I've seen a few reviews suggesting it is quite superficial and almost sympathetic to Raniere, especially after Seduced: Inside the NXIVM cult aired. I've just discovered that seduced is available on Starzplay (available as a 'channel' on Prime or Apple TV).

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
It's showing on Sky Documentaries this weekend. Though, I've seen a few reviews suggesting it is quite superficial and almost sympathetic to Raniere, especially after Seduced: Inside the NXIVM cult aired. I've just discovered that seduced is available on Starzplay (available as a 'channel' on Prime or Apple TV).

I found Mark Vicente and Sarah Edmondson a bit sickly, and I didn't feel Raniere came out of it in any way positively. I was simply amazed how dumb some people can be.

Some will argue it's preying on the vulnerable, but Raniere was Mr Cliché and full of empty soundbites. If you fall for that guff then, well, it may be natural selection at work. Who knows?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I found Mark Vicente and Sarah Edmondson a bit sickly, and I didn't feel Raniere came out of it in any way positively. I was simply amazed how dumb some people can be.

Some will argue it's preying on the vulnerable, but Raniere was Mr Cliché and full of empty soundbites. If you fall for that guff then, well, it may be natural selection at work. Who knows?

I may not be capturing their criticisms entirely accurate, it may have been not so much that it was sympathetic, but maybe it was easy on him, didn't really challenge him or dive deep on things? I don't know. But as a fan of Smallville the story of NXIVM has intrigued me since learning of Allison Mack's involvement. It blows my mind that Chloe (or really anyone who has had such a significant role on such a successful TV show) would be involved in something like that. So I will watch both The Vow and Seduced and see how they compare.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
No idea if this has been mentioned, Godfather of Halem with Forest Whittaker. Excellent series about the mafia in New York and specifically Halem. Great music in it as well. Malcolm X and Casius Clay feature.
It's on Starplay via prime to rent or kodi.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Not obscure but I think a lot of people missed it - Tin Star on Sky was absolutely absorbing.

Tim Roth character was brilliant. And some youngsters in the cast who were great acting finds. A treat - you will binge.

View attachment 90178

(Apols if this has already been suggested - didn't see it referred to)

Series 3, in Liverpool, starts showing in December.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I'm ploughing through East Bound & Down. Pretty funny about a down and out baseball pitcher trying to get his way back into the major league.
It is in sky comedy. I series linked it on Virgin and all 4 seasons popped up.
Worth a go, especially if you like titties, as there are plenty in it. [emoji3]

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've started watching:-

View attachment 127591

All the usuals:-

Murder
Corruption
Linked to DC
Small Town (extreme temperature!)
Returning vengeful sibling.

I never watched Twin Peaks as that was far too 'out there' for me in my formative yoof.
Briarpatch does seem to be enjoying a similar quirky, offbeat moody look at life.

If that's not your bag, the whole thing is produced by and staring Rosario Dawson as the kick ass vengeful sibling.

Is this on TV, Netflix or Amazon?

Briarpatch is starting on Alibi (Sky 132/Virgin126/BT312/Talk talk312) from this Wednesday at 9pm.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Briarpatch is starting on Alibi (Sky 132/Virgin126/BT312/Talk talk312) from this Wednesday at 9pm.

I do recommend it too the house, I'd certainly like to hear other opinions.

I think it might divide opinions, which is no bad thing, esp as I may well agree with both sides!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Some time ago on here someone started a thread on the US Office series but I can't find it right now. Anyway it made me watch it, and after a slow start it is bloody brilliant. Six series in and I still can't get enough of it. I thoroughly recommend it. But give it three episodes as it is a bit slow to wake up.

ps) yes I know it is not obscure, but I just had this post this somewhere.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Fully appreciate this isn’t obscure but can someone who’s watched it please convince me why I should bother watching Westworld beyond episode 2 which I’m part way through.

Does it get better? Expected so much from JJ.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Fully appreciate this isn’t obscure but can someone who’s watched it please convince me why I should bother watching Westworld beyond episode 2 which I’m part way through.

Does it get better? Expected so much from JJ.

HBO had obviously thrown a lot of money at it and the CGI is top notch but I have to admit I found it very average - I did persevere with it but can't say it was that exciting. Horses for courses I guess but I really enjoyed the original film with Yul Brynner a lot more, this series seemed to be trying too hard - at least Thandie Newton gets her kit off

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
I struggled towards the end of Westworld 1 and couldn’t be bothered doing 2, although Delores does apparently find an early wooden prototype dildo at the centre of the maze in the final episode and all ends well, apart from a few splinters. Once the gorgeous Sidse Babett Knudsen went out of series one I lost interest and imho it descended into self-indulgent nonsense that disappeared up it’s own arse.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
HBO had obviously thrown a lot of money at it and the CGI is top notch but I have to admit I found it very average - I did persevere with it but can't say it was that exciting. Horses for courses I guess but I really enjoyed the original film with Yul Brynner a lot more, this series seemed to be trying too hard - at least Thandie Newton gets her kit off

I struggled towards the end of Westworld 1 and couldn’t be bothered doing 2, although Delores does apparently find an early wooden prototype dildo at the centre of the maze in the final episode and all ends well, apart from a few splinters. Once the gorgeous Sidse Babett Knudsen went out of series one I lost interest and imho it descended into self-indulgent nonsense that disappeared up it’s own arse.

Thanks, v helpful.

Some shocking overacting as well - Simon Quarterman in particular. Every second word is **** or ****ing spat at whichever underling he deems worthy of his attention.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
“Now onto The Investigation on BBC

I’m watching this, but I find it pretty slow and lacking drama and real entertainment value. So far got to episode 3. Still, I stick with it since it is a true story and I might learn something. NB . I know I am hard to please.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here