'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
If you like sci-fi, Raised by Wolves is a must see.

Directed and Produced by Ridley Scott this TV show is a weird Prometheus style hybrid.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt9170108/

The first few episodes are available to stream by the usual means.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I feel your pain. The 2010s was a good moment for TV, as this list of 50 by Rolling Stone shows (Justified comes in at number 8!).

Boardwalk Empire, Halt and Catch Fire, The Shield (still and forever) are similarly good epics to get sucked into if that's what you're after after Bosch again. Or if the one season of Terriers sounds like your thing, then I might know someone who might have it on Dropbox.

Anyway, happy hunting!

Hi.

I just completed Terriers on Amazon Prime (at an additional cost of >£20!). A slow burner initially as I found the characters and plot a bit puerile. But it soon got into gear, I really liked it, giving it subjective 8/10.

One season was about right, the closing storylines to the characters all made sense.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
COMEDY OF THE CENTURY
Well, not really. My wife and I watch Blacklist (Sky), it passes an hour a week. After 13 episodes of series 7, Covid arrived, and with half of the big finale to the series already filmed they came up with a brilliant idea. Turn it into a cartoon! So half is in real time and half in cartoon. To see what I mean just watch the first 10 minutes.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
The Great, charting Catherine's rise to the Russian throne, is well worth a watch. More slapstick comedy than period drama, it plays fast and loose with the details, so don't switch on expecting a history lesson. If you enjoyed The Favourite, which had the same writer, or Death of Stalin, you'll probably like this.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've heard there's this fabulous mini series bieng made as I type about a PI, originally from Sussex. who trails his mate's cheating bride and makes a living out of avenging "ladies" who commit adultery. Fascinating side plots include the KKK, a kids' football team and problems understanding the complex laws involved, not to mention a weird pecadillo.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I can't believe it hasn't already been mentioned (and am not going to go through 160-odd pages to check), but I've just noticed that Brockmire is on Amazon Prime.

Hank Azaria (who does a number of Simpsons voices) plays old-school baseball announcer Jim Brockmire, trying to rebuild his career in the minor leagues a decade after a notorious meltdown on air when he discovered that his wife had been cheating on him. He's a grotesquely funny character - profane, erudite, alcoholic, immoral. You don't have to like baseball to enjoy it. Parental discretion most definitely advised.

I’ve been watching Brockmire.

Season 1 - very good.
Season 2 - poor, lost its way entirely. Imho.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I’ve been watching Brockmire.

Season 1 - very good.
Season 2 - poor, lost its way entirely. Imho.

As said to NAN bin off 2 completely and head straight for season 3.

Season 4 has it's moments too, I have no idea what was going on with 2.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As said to NAN bin off 2 completely and head straight for season 3.

Season 4 has it's moments too, I have no idea what was going on with 2.

I’ve lost interest now.

Please pick another Amazon Prime box set for me (preferably with no extra charge by them). You have a wide knowledge :bowdown:.

This year or so, I’ve loved The Americans, Justified, Bosch, Halt & Catch Fire, Person of Interest.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I’ve lost interest now.

Please pick another Amazon Prime box set for me (preferably with no extra charge by them). You have a wide knowledge :bowdown:.

This year or so, I’ve loved The Americans, Justified, Bosch, Halt & Catch Fire, Person of Interest.

Honestly season 3 is well worth a watch.

I've no really got much on, at the moment.
The last thing I did watch isn't available here.

I've not stuck with Lovecraft Country, despite the smoking hot lead wearing jodhpurs. (filthy creep)
It's good but just a little too 'out there' for me.

Oh and Watchmen was much the same, I had no idea what the hell was going on.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Honestly season 3 is well worth a watch.

I've no really got much on, at the moment.
The last thing I did watch isn't available here.

I've not stuck with Lovecraft Country, despite the smoking hot lead wearing jodhpurs. (filthy creep)
It's good but just a little too 'out there' for me.

Oh and Watchmen was much the same, I had no idea what the hell was going on.

Going by past NSC reviews, I’m going for The Shield about a corrupt LA cop. I think it’s a pay extra box set .... it’s only money.

I will give the challenge of Watchmen a go at a later date. I like the look of it. (I will however have to out the ipad down, to concentrate).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Going by past NSC reviews, I’m going for The Shield about a corrupt LA cop. I think it’s a pay extra box set .... it’s only money.

I will give the challenge of Watchmen a go at a later date. I like the look of it. (I will however have to out the ipad down, to concentrate).

The Shield is Old Skool.

If you're going down that route top 3 EVER, in order:-

The Sopranos.
The West Wing.
The Wire.

I feel myself being drawn back to The Wire, there's a probably good 'watch along' podcast I'm keen to listen too.

It'll have to go someway to beat The West Wing Weekly pod.

Which reminds me
Did you watch Chenobyl?
I recently rewatched that with Jnr.

That was excellent, as was that accompanying podcast, loads of great insight.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The Shield is Old Skool.

The Sopranos.
The West Wing.
The Wire.

I feel myself being drawn back to The Wire, there's a probably good 'watch along' podcast I'm keen to listen too.

Which reminds me
Did you watch Chenobyl?

Have you seen "The Corner"? Short series (6 episodes) made by David Simon, the same guy who made The Wire.

All on Youtube in decent quality.

https://youtu.be/iMJMOoW8y6o

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
The Shield is Old Skool.

The Sopranos.
The West Wing.
The Wire.

Which reminds me
Did you watch Chenobyl?

Correction, top 3 ever, in order are:

Gomorrah
Narcos
Romanzo Criminale

Not a bad episode in any of those three

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Shield is Old Skool.

The Sopranos.
The West Wing.
The Wire.

Which reminds me
Did you watch Chenobyl?

Too late, I just bought The Shield. I can tell it’s old eg non-HD.

Thanks for the reminder on all those other well known classics, I haven’t watched any of them. Chernobyl is generally rated highly... on the list too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports