Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Replica Shirts on grown men

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think this thread is very negative. How about some more positive fashion advice? What (apart from Polo shirts) should the gentleman over 30 with a beer belly (love the assumption that everyone over 30 has one) and graying hair wear to the football?

Maybe we should get Trinny and Susanna involved.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Big fellas would be better served wearing a club track suit top or hoody,..... a little more agreeable than a stretched nylon replica shirt.

aviaviavioioioi

Sep 29, 2009
Seaford/Brighton
Don't have a problem with it the football culture casual just don't exist any more regarding fashion so what's the problem?! A football shirt is a a piece of clothing no different to any other shirt what makes a lacoste polo or a fred perry shirt or whatever shirt you wear any better than a football shirt. Football is a huge part of people lives and wearing a Brighton shirt for me is like wearing a cross for a Christian it has as much symbolism. Saying that I only wear the shirt to Brighton games.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I went to see Starsky and Hutch in the cinema and wore a 'Starsky' jumper that I had had since the seventies. Did it for a laugh more than anything else.
But this is horses for course . Recently went to the Sonisphere festival . 90% of the people there wore a t shirt supporting their favourite band. It's pretty much the norm in metal and punk. I don't generally wear an Albion shirt to games. Did Saturday , and I like the fact that I can . Might do it more often.

A band T-shirt is a bit different. It's a very normal item of clothing with an image or slogan on it. I've got a couple of band T-shirst, but I'd never wear a football shirt (unless I was playing football of course). If you were to go and watch The Darkness in spandex I'd accept the comparison...

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I'm a 43 year old going grey grandad, but I will continue to wear my replica shirt to football, and I couldn't give a flying f*** what anybody says or thinks about it. I am there supporting my team, I don't wear it other than matches though.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I'm a 43 year old going grey grandad, but I will continue to wear my replica shirt to football, and I couldn't give a flying f*** what anybody says or thinks about it. I am there supporting my team, I don't wear it other than matches though.
With you on that...I'm 72 and wear my shirt with pride...if anybody does'nt like it...do one...what is this obsession with what anybody chooses to wear? I would wear it anywhere...but the 1901 club because it's not allowed...but it is my free choice.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
we have this conversation every 2 weeks

basically it works like this
- someone whinges and calls it cringey
- someone agrees
- the rest don't care what they say
- nothing changes
- we gain little from this.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I am 43 tomorrow and I am thinking of getting a shirt.. wore a blue polo shirt with a seagull on it last week. Took both my kids to the game and they were in the shirt and saw lots of kids with their dads and they were all in shirts, which I think looked quite cool. I will check out an old shirt at home tonight and if I look good, I will buy the new one tomorrow as a birthday present.:albion2:

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
If blokes with beer-bellies in football shirts offend you then look the other bloody way!
To me, nothing looks better than thousands of men, women and kids wearing the stripes on their way to the match.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'm with you on this.....you wear the stripes to show support to the team....its a football match not a fashion parade.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
I am 65 years old and always wear a replica shirt to home games and will continue to do so!

Do not always wear to away games as I travel by train most times, frequently not in company with other Albion fans, due to where I live.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I think part of the problem is it is such a nightmare if you want to go out anywhere afterwards. Nowhere will let you in. I have to come down from London and there is no chance I am going to wear a Brighton shirt all the way down on the train then come back to London and go out for a few drinks. If I could wear one when I got to the stadium and take it off again when I got out again I would!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

- someone agrees
- nothing changes
Agreed! I personally, and I stress PERSONALLY don't wear one as I think they do look a bit naff, and some of the designs, even of Albion shirts, are plain ugly. However if people want to wear them then fine, it's really not a problem and I don't know why everybody gets so het up about it. Wear what you like when you like, you don't need someone else's approval, each to his own, freedom of choice, etc etc etc.

That's my view, however in keeping with the spirit and general tone of this thread I suppose I should add: and if anyone doesn't like it they can f***ing do one.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think the cut off should be 16 years inclusive for males. Females are different though, as some have a knack of looking 'nice' in cheap man-made fibres.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I think part of the problem is it is such a nightmare if you want to go out anywhere afterwards. Nowhere will let you in. I have to come down from London and there is no chance I am going to wear a Brighton shirt all the way down on the train then come back to London and go out for a few drinks. If I could wear one when I got to the stadium and take it off again when I got out again I would!

That really can't be very difficult can it. Stick a polo shirt in a bag before you leave for the game, then you can change into it and stick the football shirt in the bag afterwards - (Rocket science eh!)

Last edited:

Jan 30, 2008
If grown adults didnt buy replica tops the club would lose a big chunk of a lucrative revenue stream. Kids can't afford multiple tops like adults can and do purchase.
what a load of tosh, there just being ripped off and are unable to grasp that situation , maybe a bit of OCD kicking in , nothing so unsightly as an over weight body squeeeeeeeeeeeeeezed into a replica top but hey ho each to their own .

Jan 31, 2009
I'm 42 and wear my top to footie practice every Monday. Nothing beats the feeling of wearing the blue and white stripes whilst inflicting a painful crunching tackle on the muppet wearing a Ronaldo top as he tries to skip past. :)

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

- someone agrees
- nothing changes

Put that way it kinda makes me think wtf am i doing here...maybe i should get out more.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Nothing looks better than a stadium decked out in the home teams colours. The poster of this thread has obv. never attended a top match and seen the Dutch or the Brazil supporters colour a stadium.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here