Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Joke decision
Bell is blatantly out even in the spirit of the game
He made a bad mistake, you can't let people off if they make bad decisions

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Big respect to Dhoni, and the Indian team:

Fascinating snippet here: I'm now hearing that England coach Andy Flower and skipper Andrew Strauss went to the Indian dressing-room at tea and asked MS Dhoni and India coach Duncan Fletcher if they would reconsider the appeal. Fletcher and Dhoni said they would talk to the rest of the team. The decision was then made to offer Ian Bell a reprieve. In the meantime, Bell has moved on to 140 and Morgan to 37. The ground still throbbing with intrigue, excitement and giddy gossip.

Last edited:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Fair play to Dhoni, because within the rules of the game Bell made a stupid mistake and was quite rightly given out.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Joke decision
Bell is blatantly out even in the spirit of the game
He made a bad mistake, you can't let people off if they make bad decisions

How is it a joke decision if even the opposing team felt it was unsportsmanlike enough to allow him a reprieve? It's a bit like kicking the ball out of play when a player on the opposing team is injured in a football match. Or returning the ball to the team who kicked the ball out when the injury is dealt with. It's not a law, but most teams obey it because it is seen as sportsmanlike.

Last edited:

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
India should have stuck with it
They did nothing wrong, fielder didn't know where the ball went, they weren't being unsporting

I agree, but they obviously thought that it was unsportsmanlike enough to allow him a reprieve especially in a test as key as this. As for the fielder not knowing where the ball went I think everyone just assumed (obviously wrongly) that the ball was dead

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I can only imagine that those saying the run out was fair enough, have never played cricket. Utterly shocking. Utterly.

If they had not withdrawn that appeal, the atmosphere for the remainder of the match, and the series, would have been appalling.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
What happened with Bell then?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Bell out.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
I can only imagine that those saying the run out was fair enough, have never played cricket. Utterly shocking. Utterly.

If they had not withdrawn that appeal, the atmosphere for the remainder of the match, and the series, would have been appalling.

Been playing cricket for years, we don't have boundary ropes only flags and certainly not tv replays so decisions are always 50/50
But we always abide by the umpire decisions and accept it
It wasn't a shady ploy by India to get Bell out
England should've accepted it too and not gone and spoken to the Indian captain later to get him to do a reversal
Agree with you about the atmosphere bit though

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It wasn't a shady ploy by India to get Bell out

It shouldn't have got that far. He should never have removed the bail.

England should've accepted it too and not gone and spoken to the Indian captain later to get him to do a reversal

India should be embarrassed that they needed to.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Trott out

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Prior really is in the batting form of his life at the moment. Another excellent 50 from him off less than 50 balls.

408/6 and still pilling on the runs. Looking good for a 2-0 lead in the series.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Another excellent days cricket. The way this England team fights back really does show the excellent spirit they have as well as undoubted talent. Bat through till lunch tomorrow have them 5 or 6 down by the end of play tomorrow and win by lunch on Monday!

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Fabulous sportsmanship form the Indians. Brilliant and I applaud their actions. Umpire called 'Over' so the ball was technically dead and the run out couldn't stand. The amazing thing about cricket is it's continuing ability to find scenarios and situations that test the rules. This is a truly great series and I have never seen an England team with so much balls and spiwit.
Alas I have to work tomorrow; otherwise I would be a cricketing couch lizard for the full day!

TNBA

TTF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here