Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Murray,,,,

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
The game has always had players who move on just for the money and then hit the rocks and disappear. Murray may well carry-on scoring but I think he knew he's days were numbered at BHA and the best he could hope for was as a back-up.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Its pretty clear that Gus didn't give acrap if Murray stayed or went. Don't get me wrong, GM was immense last season, CMS was more so.

£15k wages (not exact figure) to Murray or the same to CMS... Hmmm. Easy choice.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
To be fair I doubt Murray CARES.

He moved for a better financial deal. There is NO WAY he honesly believed Palace would invest more than us in our squad, or that they were better equipped for this season.

So us improving probably means NOTHING to him.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
CMS 35 goals league 1
Barnes 20 goals league 1
Hoskins 18 goals league 1

Thats players with big potential and then we have young bergkamp who is a very promising youngster.:p

Yes glen had a fabulous season but he was obviously playing for a contract as the other two years he was very average and injury prone.Gus i feel wanted him out thats why he wouldn't up the wage or give a 3 year deal.

Its not rocket science:thumbsup:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just goes to show the rumour that Murray didnt re sign for us because he knew who we wanted and he would not be an automatic choice was right all along. As Gus said they offered him the wages they thought that he was worth as a back up striker. None the less thanks for what you did last season for us.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Im in shock at the news!!

Oh and Murray? Have fun at Phalarse!!!

We're gonna smash them pikies!!!

eagles #1

May 7, 2004
London
Won't really matter in the great scheme of things after CMS has smashed in a hattrick at the other end though.

Doubt it, looked extremely average against us in the 2009/2010 season, failing to score once in the two games against us and being substituted in the 75th minute in one of them.

But £2.5m rising to £3.5m? What a bargain you've got there..

BrightonGuy

Jun 3, 2011
Brighton
Kicking himself for what reason?

He took the best option for him and his family. He's moved on for more money. He's better off. He's likely to start every game for Palace - would he start every one here now?
Fair point Bozza
and yes he would have started every game for us and so would bennet
as i said previously on another thread cms and Berg are the only players that have improved the team so far
Saying that though i do expect another striker, 2 Mids and a defender to come before the season starts

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Doubt it, looked extremely average against us in the 2009/2010 season, failing to score once in the two games against us and being substituted in the 75th minute in one of them.

How well did Murray do in the same season. NOT VERY YET YOU WANTED HIM

Given the choice what player would you want in your team remembering cms has scored goals in the championship
& gm has not.

eagles #1

May 7, 2004
London
How well did Murray do in the same season. NOT VERY YET YOU WANTED HIM

Given the choice what player would you want in your team remembering cms has scored goals in the championship
& gm has not.
For £2.5m. You lot are f***ing mental.

I have no idea how good Murray is, only what you lot say about him. For free - sounds like a decent signing. If he's shit, no big deal, offload him for a profit next year, if he's good - Happy days.

I have however seen Mackail-Smith live. For at least £2.5m he had better score 20+. And from what i've seen at this level - No f***ing chance.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

Looked average in a poor team, still he's better than that Murray bloke you're paying over the odds for mate

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Is Murray even fit yet?
Two months for a shoulder injury looks worrying, is it his new mystery injury that stops him playing regular for his first two years of his contract?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I have no idea how good Murray is, only what you lot say about him. For free - sounds like a decent signing. If he's shit, no big deal, offload him for a profit next year, if he's good - Happy days.

I have however seen Mackail-Smith live. For at least £2.5m he had better score 20+. And from what i've seen at this level - No f***ing chance.

So West Ham, Leicester put in big bids for CMS, QPR were interested, Norwich tried desperately to sign him in the January window. Wolves and Birmingham have also expressed an interest and you are struggling to think he may be worth the money we paid, which is the same as two other, much bigger clubs than Palace, bid?

You did well to get Murray BUT he hasn't got much pace and he is a moody bastard. When we absolutely thrashed Posh at their place CMS ran for 90 mins and never gave up. There is a massive difference between these players attitude and engines, probably goes some way to explaining why so many clubs wanted CMS and only Palace wanted Murray :shrug:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Haha! You ain't seen us play our brand of tippy-tappy though. We're f***ing brilliant at it.

I love it when Palace forums send out all these DLNs (Damage Limitation Nigels) all ready to talk down what is quite frankly a magnificent signing. Enjoy our cast-offs, Nige but be warned - Murray's a stroppy little bugger at the best of times and you're in for one long hard season (again).

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Great player for us. Moved on at the right time for both parties as it turns out and I have no complaints at a player doing what is best for him and his family. He won't have too many chances of a big payday so can't fault him for grabbing the opportunity with both hands. What I hate is obviously where he went but there you go. And yes, of course he will score against us..... let's just hope that when it happens our new front line score more.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Fair point Bozza
and yes he would have started every game for us and so would bennet
as i said previously on another thread cms and Berg are the only players that have improved the team so far
Saying that though i do expect another striker, 2 Mids and a defender to come before the season starts

I cant see us signing another striker we've got 5 now, I reckon we'll be looking to sign 2 midfielders, a full back and a centre half.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here