Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Podcasts - what are you listening to?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
BBC Sounds: Sports Strangest Crimes, The Trillion Dollar Conman

The story of Notts County’s takeover, Sol Campbell, Sven etc…

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'm sure it was on here that I first saw the Socially Distant Sports Bar recommended.

BRILLIANT. Probably my favourite podcast now. May EVEN go Patreon which I've not done for any pod.

I already liked Ellis James (I've listened to him and John Robins for years from Radio X through to 5live) and Mike Bubbins is VERY funny.

Currently working backwards through the 100 or so episodes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Would you say their Raiders Of The Lost Ark one is a bad episode? I've heard lots of good things about it(not just from you) but really couldn't get on with it. It reminded me a lot of Reply All of that sort of bland US being smart but without actually saying anything of interest. I don't think they really mentioned the film for 40 minutes just lots of other "memories" of limited interest and telling us how everyone was at the top of their game without explanation.

There's a lot of in jokes and basketball references so I guess picking your favourite film as a start off only gives you a 50/50 chance of getting into their groove.

I usually highlight Jaws as a very good episode.
Simmonds, Fennessy (sp) and Ryan are the very best team to listen.
Fennessy's encyclopedic knowledge of cinema puts everyone to shame.

They're Boston (and Philly) boys so The Town and Spotlight are also both good listens.
The 3 episodes with Quinten Tarrantino are good esp King of New York and Unstoppable.
I watch the film before listening.

Sadly I can't find it on Twitter at the moment but their 2 minute discussion on how Jerry Maguire got back to Dorothy is the talking shite I love.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
There's a lot of in jokes and basketball references so I guess picking your favourite film as a start off only gives you a 50/50 chance of getting into their groove.

I usually highlight Jaws as a very good episode.
Simmonds, Fennessy (sp) and Ryan are the very best team to listen.
Fennessy's encyclopedic knowledge of cinema puts everyone to shame.

They're Boston (and Philly) boys so The Town and Spotlight are also both good listens.
The 3 episodes with Quinten Tarrantino are good esp King of New York and Unstoppable.
I watch the film before listening.

Sadly I can't find it on Twitter at the moment but their 2 minute discussion on how Jerry Maguire got back to Dorothy is the talking shite I love.

Thanks. I might give it another go when brain is less Coviddy.

I'm looking forward to Screenshot this week as it's all about The Wire

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Have revisited the Two Mikes, Life on the Road

Excellent and a shame it turned out like it did.

Still don’t know why they fell out

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks. I might give it another go when brain is less Coviddy.

I'm looking forward to Screenshot this week as it's all about The Wire

I genuinely don't remember the Raiders pod - not a good sign.

They did F**ked Up Family February including a film I'd never seen or heard of The Ice Storm.

This induced a 10 minute discussion on premature ejaculation in cinema - again very very funny.

Last edited:

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Have revisited the Two Mikes, Life on the Road

Excellent and a shame it turned out like it did.

Still don’t know why they fell out

hmm - let me think...

A passage in Graham's book reads:

"The problem for Mike Parry was that he wasn’t actually very bright. He was fifth in the pecking order in his own office. He was despised by every photographer he ever worked with and was universally known as a man who couldn’t be trusted.

"Aside from that his time in New York was uneventful. He broke no stories, he came up with no great features and in London he was treated as very much the junior.

"When he met me he became very chummy. He asked me to feed him all the news that I found out about for a very substantial fee that he could pay me for the Express.

"I liked him at first. It took me a while to work out that he was a complete bullshitter.”

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I genuinely don't remember the Raiders pod - not a good sign.

They did F**ked Up Family February including a film I'd never seen or heard of The Ice Storm.

This induced a 10 minute discussion on premature ejaculation in cinema - again very very funny.

I've not seen the Ice Storm for a while but i remember it being excellent. Slow burn 70s drama,wife swapping and drugs with a great, very 90s cast

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've not seen the Ice Storm for a while but i remember it being excellent. Slow burn 70s drama,wife swapping and drugs with a great, very 90s cast

Yep, with Alison Janney being better than everyone else, as usual.

This is the shite I love about The Rewatchables

If you can't get on board with that then it's not for you - no harm no foul.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
hmm - let me think...

A passage in Graham's book reads:

"The problem for Mike Parry was that he wasn’t actually very bright. He was fifth in the pecking order in his own office. He was despised by every photographer he ever worked with and was universally known as a man who couldn’t be trusted.

"Aside from that his time in New York was uneventful. He broke no stories, he came up with no great features and in London he was treated as very much the junior.

"When he met me he became very chummy. He asked me to feed him all the news that I found out about for a very substantial fee that he could pay me for the Express.

"I liked him at first. It took me a while to work out that he was a complete bullshitter.”

Didn’t know his book had come out, will have a look [emoji1303]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Would you say their Raiders Of The Lost Ark one is a bad episode? I've heard lots of good things about it(not just from you) but really couldn't get on with it. It reminded me a lot of Reply All of that sort of bland US being smart but without actually saying anything of interest. I don't think they really mentioned the film for 40 minutes just lots of other "memories" of limited interest and telling us how everyone was at the top of their game without explanation.
I'll be giving this a listen later and I'm expecting it to be good

[tweet]1521352601945600000[/tweet]

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not sure if it’s in here but been doing some travelling recently and got back into some podcasts.

Quite enjoyed ‘Under the Cosh’ - few ex Brighton episodes - Nicky Forster one is quite good (except he says know what I mean every third word) and some good insight of the club under Knight and Bloom, as well as Poyet chat.

Also Liam Dickinson on there with the story about that night out in Brighton. Fair play to the lad he’s played professional football and earnt a decent wedge but what a waste of a career filled with more clubs than goals.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Currently watching Rocky III. :wink:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
After a long absence I've recently returned to Stuff You Should Know.

Since I've been away, as well as the deep dive they've added a 15min vignette piece to their feed.
Last week's look at Banana flavouring was both interesting and sleep inducing.

For any of you who use pods as a sleep aid, Josh and Chuck are inadvertently some of the best in the business.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Not sure if it’s in here but been doing some travelling recently and got back into some podcasts.

Quite enjoyed ‘Under the Cosh’ - few ex Brighton episodes - Nicky Forster one is quite good (except he says know what I mean every third word) and some good insight of the club under Knight and Bloom, as well as Poyet chat.

Also Liam Dickinson on there with the story about that night out in Brighton. Fair play to the lad he’s played professional football and earnt a decent wedge but what a waste of a career filled with more clubs than goals.

The Craig Davies one was good too, came across as a nice lad. Just didn’t work out for him at the Albion.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I don’t usually do podcasts but I found this site with them . For music fans of a certain age this is fascinating. Each one is meticulously researched, and well delivered with snippets of music to help it along . I was well impressed.

URL="http://https://500songs.com/podcast/"]http://https://500songs.com/podcast/[/URL]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here