Giffgaff

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Theres an advert currently running on the top of NSC that caught my eye on the Wingy thread.

I don't usually go via adverts but this time i thought why not, lets take a look.

Lo and behold, its actually not that bad. 10 pounds for 250 minutes, unlimited texts, unlimited internet and its pay as you go, so if you run out of minutes you can top up normally and its not a contract, its just an addon.

I'm giving it a try and i'll give a verdict but its legit... looks interesting. Its also dirt cheap prices for calls on credit, about 8p a minute, free giffgaff-giffgaff calls and the internet isn't 'fair useage' but totally unlimited excluding teathering. (edited, i can't read!)

Worth a lo0k IMO.

Last edited:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
:wave:

My Iphone contract is up shortly and I have been looking around and selected giff-gaff as my Pay & Go.

They piggy back on the O2 network.

As you say there are some good deals to be had.

When I got my iphone 4 with Tesco last July it was with the express intention of switching to GiffGaff with the £10 goody bag once the year's contract was up. Someone's also set up an unofficial hassle-free sim-cutting service at no cost to the user (giffgaff don't provide microsims) http://www.giffgaffmicrosim.co.uk/

Also means I can use Hullomail (a form of visual voicemail). Only a couple of months to go.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
When I got my iphone 4 with Tesco last July it was with the express intention of switching to GiffGaff with the £10 goody bag once the year's contract was up. Someone's also set up an unofficial hassle-free sim-cutting service at no cost to the user (giffgaff don't provide microsims) http://www.giffgaffmicrosim.co.uk/

Also means I can use Hullomail (a form of visual voicemail). Only a couple of months to go.

Hmm, Do I need a micro sim for my Iphone?

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Guys I use GiffGaff and it is VERY good! I Joined up in January

Basically I was with Orange and after several cock ups over the years I finally snapped when they d my phone number and provided me with a new one that I didn't ask for and then told me it would be a week before I got my old one back Someone suggested a company called Giff Gaff (I'd never heard of them either) so I looked them up

Basically they are a new, different kind of mobile provider. They don't have a call center, instead they have an online community and forum much like this one, if you have a problem or question it is answered in SECONDS by normal, English speaking people. How refreshing is this after spending ages on hold to some foreign call center? Also, by helping others you actually get paid (small amounts) and free credit etc. Because they don't employ thousands of people they are able to provide fantastic deals, for example, I bought 10.00 quids worth of credit and bought what they call a 'goody bag' and I get 250 mins calls to any number/network, unlimited texts and UNLIMITED mobile internet plus calls to other giff gaff numbers are totally free (I signed my wife up - it's true) They are also constantly coming up with new ideas/deals.
This is not a con, this is something I tried out and have been very impressed with, no more shabby Orange customer service

I have been 'paid' nearly 30 quid since I joined from just answering a few questions and getting a few mates to join. I use it on my iphone and it's fantastic. Please guys, if you are tempted to sign up please do it through this link, You'll get 5 quid for free if you do, and I get a little something for recommending you!

Free Mobile SIM Cards | giffgaff

GOOD LUCK

Much better to use the NSC banner link when it comes up cash for the site. Actually, can you do affiliate links with NSC?

(although i assume if you want to use the micro-sim service you need to go through their link cos they'll be getting the recommend fee for their efforts)

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Guys I use GiffGaff and it is VERY good! I Joined up in January

Basically I was with Orange and after several cock ups over the years I finally snapped when they d my phone number and provided me with a new one that I didn't ask for and then told me it would be a week before I got my old one back Someone suggested a company called Giff Gaff (I'd never heard of them either) so I looked them up

Basically they are a new, different kind of mobile provider. They don't have a call center, instead they have an online community and forum much like this one, if you have a problem or question it is answered in SECONDS by normal, English speaking people. How refreshing is this after spending ages on hold to some foreign call center? Also, by helping others you actually get paid (small amounts) and free credit etc. Because they don't employ thousands of people they are able to provide fantastic deals, for example, I bought 10.00 quids worth of credit and bought what they call a 'goody bag' and I get 250 mins calls to any number/network, unlimited texts and UNLIMITED mobile internet plus calls to other giff gaff numbers are totally free (I signed my wife up - it's true) They are also constantly coming up with new ideas/deals.
This is not a con, this is something I tried out and have been very impressed with, no more shabby Orange customer service

I have been 'paid' nearly 30 quid since I joined from just answering a few questions and getting a few mates to join. I use it on my iphone and it's fantastic. Please guys, if you are tempted to sign up please do it through this link, You'll get 5 quid for free if you do, and I get a little something for recommending you!

Free Mobile SIM Cards | giffgaff

GOOD LUCK

Cheers for the positive review.

Sadly I can't personally help you out by getting my sim through you as I asked a question on their forum (which was answered within a minute!) and the guy told me about the £5 free credit sim so I ordered via his link.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
only thing is to get a decent phone you have to sign up to a 2 year contract . when thats up you need to upgrade to a better phone and can only do that through orange , vodafone or whatever and they tie you in again

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
I bought my wife a San Fransisco smartphone from Orange, less than 100 quid brand new. Unlock it for free if you look about. Good, cheap phone, cant go wrong. Worth it if your seriously interested!

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
if you top up by 10 quid, you use that 10 quid to buy the goody bag, so you'll have no credit left BUT 250 mins free to any network at anytime, Unlimited texts to any number and unlimited internet, for a whole month. Giffgaff to giffgaff calls are free all the time, even if you have no credit/free minutes left!

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
if you top up by 10 quid, you use that 10 quid to buy the goody bag, so you'll have no credit left BUT 250 mins free to any network at anytime, Unlimited texts to any number and unlimited internet, for a whole month. Giffgaff to giffgaff calls are free all the time, even if you have no credit/free minutes left!

Sounds like a really good deal anyway, and 8 quid cheaper than what I'm paying every month at the moment for basically the same thing. Can you get a direct debit set up so the £10 goody bag just runs every month (effectively like a contract)?

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
i might sign up. virgin are currently raping me and i have had enough

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Sounds like a really good deal anyway, and 8 quid cheaper than what I'm paying every month at the moment for basically the same thing. Can you get a direct debit set up so the £10 goody bag just runs every month (effectively like a contract)?

Yes, it runs on the 02 network which offers auto top ups anyway, the founder of GiffGaff was the brand something or other for 02, and i saw they had the same option to top up either on a schedual no matter what your credit was OR top up if your credit went down to 3 pounds or less, or whatever you wanted.

The other thing i liked was if you top up 20, and buy 2 10 pound goodie bags thats you covered for 2 months. they won't run concurrently.

I'm really quite excited about getting my phone now, i've got a tocco lite at the moment but i'm buying a friends Dell Streak (5inch tablet phone with android) so this very unlimited internet even without teathering is pretty awesome.

Superbez's review inspires confidence... i can't wait!

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
as kneeOn said, you can set it up to automatically start the new goody bag when your current one runs out. You can even use 02 top up vouchers to top up with or just top up online like i do. You don't HAVE to buy a goody bag with your 10 quid but it's by far the best value deal I've ever seen! They have apps for both Iphone and Android phones which make it really easy to keep up to speed with what you have left for the month etc

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
I have an iphone 3 at the moment on pay as you go and this sounds like a very good deal but can anyone explain to me what the teathering thing means?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports