Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Nobody comes last at parkrun, there are tailwalkers at every event - the final person to cross the line to ensure everyone who started has finished. It's always a friendly atmosphere at all of the events. You can see the latest results at Hove Promenade, Preston Park and Hove Park below - there are many slower times and people are there of all shapes, sizes and motivations. Parkrun needs everyone, and is stronger for the diversity in the field.

https://www.parkrun.org.uk/hovepromenade/results/latestresults/
https://www.parkrun.org.uk/prestonpark/results/latestresults/
https://www.parkrun.org.uk/brighton/results/latestresults/

Thanks mate, never knew that before, that's really reassuring. So much so, I'm thinking now of changing my NSC username to Tom Hark, Tailwalker, Preston Park :thumbsup:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Thanks mate, never knew that before, that's really reassuring. So much so, I'm thinking now of changing my NSC username to Tom Hark, Tailwalker, Preston Park :thumbsup:

:lolol: There's generally good competition to be the tailwalker at Preston Park. What I like about Preston Park, in particular, is that there are often the same people toward the back of the field and they all talk to each other on the way around which is lovely. It's like at the football - you're thrown together with people and you form bonds you otherwise wouldn't.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
What races have people got lined up for 2020?

So far, I've signed up for:
Around The Bay 30k in Hamilton, Ontario in March (using it as my last long training run)
Boston Marathon in April
Cleveland 10k in May (Another road trip with my RunTOBeer friends)

I'll probably be doing Ragnar Niagara again in June. Then I'll be looking for a 5k and 10k to try and improve my PBs. I always like doing a Half Marathon in the autumn too.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Around The Bay 30k in Hamilton, Ontario in March (using it as my last long training run)
Boston Marathon in April

I'll probably be doing Ragnar Niagara again in June. Then I'll be looking for a 5k and 10k to try and improve my PBs. I always like doing a Half Marathon in the autumn too.

So far booked and paid for Brighton Half, Brighton Marathon, Serpent Trail, Barns Green Half and Beachy Head Marathon. I'll do Phoenix 10K again in the summer so long as I'm fairly certain I'll be in Brighton that week and not away for work and also Weakest Link if not away and a C team needs a tail walker. Am absolutely NOT doing Worthing 10K. My trail running buddy wants to do Steyning Stinger half in March but will need to check that with coach and family.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Last one of the year done, 5 x 4 min repeats on the tank tracks (if you know, you know [emoji23][emoji23])

Average year boloxed a bit by 2 months out with a niggly calf

Total mileage 1,762m
Hours 274
Elevation 105,476 ft
Runs 257

Nothing booked for 2020 yet but 50 Slam still in mind if dates work.......might do a parkrun at some point too [emoji23][emoji23]

Happy New Year all - still the best thread on NSC [emoji106]

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Last one of the year done, 5 x 4 min repeats on the tank tracks (if you know, you know [emoji23][emoji23])

Why would you do that to yourself on NYE?!

I ran up Streat Bostall a couple of weeks ago when I was back in Sussex. That's a pretty horrific hill!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
[MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] did that one a few years back. He has a good photo of the terrain.

Brown Willy is the highest hill in Cornwall, on Bodmin Moor.

Indeed I did (we were at The Manor for New Year) - really great fun. Slightly muddy in parts :lolol::lolol::lolol: It's mostly social, although there is a certain kudos to 'winning' apparently.......there are no race numbers or anything like that though, you just sign in at the pub (the famous Jamaica Inn) and sign out afterwards. There's a good facebook page that also has a video of the event on it

https://www.facebook.com/groups/515259082163193/

https://youtu.be/C_mzB-NmmpA?fbclid=IwAR0M5NNApcXu_TR66EU9491bEdLnCOIrwEJUeRC-W3iy7A7J-irJdVcZ_Jo

Why would you do that to yourself on NYE?!

I ran up Streat Bostall a couple of weeks ago when I was back in Sussex. That's a pretty horrific hill!

LOL, why not ? I use Streat Bostall when I want an easier hill repeat session :smile: I've done nothing with any elevation at all in the last three months due to the calf problem so really just wanted to start putting some load back through it. Also making the most of 'working' from home, obviously. BTW - will be in Toronto next week if you've got time to say hello - arriving Sunday, leaving Thursday pm (office is in York St and I'm staying nearby).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Happy Hogmanay to all the runners. Aiming to start doing Park Runs in 2020. Did the Brighton 10k back in April but have had something of a psychological block about park runs. Head says if I can do 10k in 1:33 then I should be able to do 5k in about 45mins, especially as I'm a stone and a half lighter than I was in April. But heart says I'm just as old and just as asthmatic. I guess it's fear of coming last and/or keeping the stewards hanging around while I part jog, part speed walk to the finish. Guess I just need a bit of reassurance from anybody whose done a bit of stewarding. Cheers.

This head says if you could do 10k in 1.33 when you were a stone and a half heavier then you're very likely to be well under 45 mins anyway. As others have said, at that time you're very unlikely to be last and certainly wouldn't be holding up the volunteers. Also, literally no-one at parkrun will offer anything other than encouragement however slow anyone is. You'll also find the slower times get much slower in Jan as the runs get flooded with the New Year Resolutioners coming back for a few weeks, and all the parkruns have tailgunners anyway whose job it is to come last, basically - whilst encouraging and keeping company those nearer the back. Parkrun is just about the last race to have any kind of psychological block about - it couldn't be more inclusive - if you're really worried though I'm happy to run around with you.................

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This head says if you could do 10k in 1.33 when you were a stone and a half heavier then you're very likely to be well under 45 mins anyway. As others have said, at that time you're very unlikely to be last and certainly wouldn't be holding up the volunteers. Also, literally no-one at parkrun will offer anything other than encouragement however slow anyone is. You'll also find the slower times get much slower in Jan as the runs get flooded with the New Year Resolutioners coming back for a few weeks, and all the parkruns have tailgunners anyway whose job it is to come last, basically - whilst encouraging and keeping company those nearer the back. Parkrun is just about the last race to have any kind of psychological block about - it couldn't be more inclusive - if you're really worried though I'm happy to run around with you.................

Thanks very much mate. I'm 100% sure that it's 90% in my head, much the same as for everybody else that ever ran for either business or pleasure Rest assured I won't be doing a Patk Run til the New Year resolutionists all drop out by the end of Jan. Same reason I'll only be in the gym in January at Withdean at 7am, when it's only regulars there.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Boston Marathon in April

Hey Badger, I have these booked in for 2020 so far:

Feb - Watford Half
March - London Big Half
April - London Marathon
May - Hackney Half
Sept. - Chiltern Wonderland 50

Finished up with 1,733 miles for the year today. My final run today included me passing another runner wearing a Brighton training top!! :albion2: Very rare to spot a fellow Albion fan here in sleepy Bushey, Herts. I think I gave him a bit of a shock as I screamed out "Seagulls!!" as soon as I saw the badge (I think he had headphones on). If that was anyone on here HELLO! :bigwave: and apologies for spooking you.

Happy New Year guys! :ascarf:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
LOL, why not ? I use Streat Bostall when I want an easier hill repeat session :smile: I've done nothing with any elevation at all in the last three months due to the calf problem so really just wanted to start putting some load back through it. Also making the most of 'working' from home, obviously. BTW - will be in Toronto next week if you've got time to say hello - arriving Sunday, leaving Thursday pm (office is in York St and I'm staying nearby).

Ah yes, my friends were saying the Tank Tracks is a harder climb, so I'm quite glad we didn't go that way. It's about 18 years since I last went up either of them and that was on a bike!

I'll be around next week. I'll probably have some free time after work on Monday or Wednesday. Alternatively, if you bring your running gear you're welcome to join my running group on Tuesday evening, we meet right by York Street at 6:15.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ah yes, my friends were saying the Tank Tracks is a harder climb, so I'm quite glad we didn't go that way. It's about 18 years since I last went up either of them and that was on a bike!

I'll be around next week. I'll probably have some free time after work on Monday or Wednesday. Alternatively, if you bring your running gear you're welcome to join my running group on Tuesday evening, we meet right by York Street at 6:15.

Cool.....not 100% sure of agenda yet, will let you know......I assume ‘your group’ have some slower runners [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

D

Deleted member 2719

Only seven and a half hours into the New Year and I chalked up my seasons best, at 6k.

I have a feeling this could be a great year.

:banana::banana:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here