Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
[MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] - magnificent set of achievements, and goals for 2020. I'm thinking about doing Manchester Marathon in April - I think there's a better chance of running sub-3 the week before the 170 mile cycle, rather than the week after.

Mrs FP conquered her 1st Park Run yesterday down in Seaford with our two boys and, although she found it really tough going, she still managed to do a sub 40 - and wasn't last! To see her out there completing a 5k after losing 10st in 2019 - & battling health problems for years - was one of my proudest moments in 20 years together. She broke down in tears at the end through sheer emotion, but will be back to do the Peacehaven run on Saturday morning if she isnt working at the hospital!

So proud of her.

:bowdown: Magnificent from Mrs FP. That's what parkrun is all about - you have however many people all running for totally different purposes. If you asked every single person, post-parkrun, what their motivation for showing up was, you'd be amazed. Everyone there has different motiviations, experiences and reasons for wanting to be there. I'm glad she's been bitten by the bug! How old are the FP boys?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Mrs FP conquered her 1st Park Run yesterday down in Seaford with our two boys and, although she found it really tough going, she still managed to do a sub 40 - and wasn't last! To see her out there completing a 5k after losing 10st in 2019 - & battling health problems for years - was one of my proudest moments in 20 years together. She broke down in tears at the end through sheer emotion, but will be back to do the Peacehaven run on Saturday morning if she isnt working at the hospital!

So proud of her.

Fantastic. Well done Mrs FP

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Well done to all the NSC crew for getting out already in 2020. I'm suffering from a massive lack of mojo, coupled with a cold, which means I've absolutely zero interest in venturing out at the moment or, if I'm honest, ever again. I'm hoping it passes soon, because I have some festive timber to shift, and I'm not talking about the family Christmas tree...

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Well done all you New Year's Day runners. Some great times in the bag already. I was planning a 5k run yesterday but the hangover was a lot worse than I was hoping for :lolol:

I'll be kicking off my 2020 running with some 800m reps tonight.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Think I'll buy a pair. Did you find them anywhere local?

Thanks, would certainly like a pair. £239 is expensive. Any tips on finding them cheaper. I've googled endlessly but to no avail.

Everyone I know that wears the Hoka One One Carbon X absolutely loves them. They are Hoka's version of the carbon fibre plate shoe, with a 5 mm heel drop, so a slightly lower drop than Nike's carbon plate Vaporflys (8 mm). There seemed to be limited stock available here in the UK at the end of the year as they became more and more popular but it looks like more outlets are getting them back in now. I'm keen to try them out. No doubt there will be a 2nd edition of the shoe by the end of this year.

I don't think there's any chance of finding the Nike Vaporfly Next %'s at a reduced price anywhere unfortunately, but the first iteration of the Vaporfly, the Nike Vaporfly 4%'s have dropped in price so I definitely think worth looking at these. I think both Vaporfly's are super fast shoes but they're not very durable. I save my Vaporfly 4%'s for racing only because of that. I've done nearly 100 miles in them so far and they're showing signs of wear and tear already. I treated myself to a pair of Next %'s but saving them for the London Marathon.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

So proud of her.

Fantastic!! Congrats Mrs FP! :clap2:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So - really sore upper heel - achilles, presumably. Like limping to walk slowly sore.

What does one do?

Asking for a friend.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Good to read so many positive postings to kick off the new season. Afraid I can't add to them just now as dropping out of my 3rd successive parkrun has confirmed that I need a break. I'm beginning to realise why the number of runners begins to diminish with age. I'd hoped to launch my arrival into my new 'very old git' category (and new year) with some decent runs, but I'm going to give January up. I had a good 2019 so mustn't grumble.
I'm also going for a dry January (so far so good!). Suspect that the combined effect of giving up running and drinking will result me being a miserable sod for a bit.

Enjoy your running!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Well done all you New Year's Day runners. Some great times in the bag already. I was planning a 5k run yesterday but the hangover was a lot worse than I was hoping for :lolol:

I'll be kicking off my 2020 running with some 800m reps tonight.

I am in no rush to see you record a 5k time in 2020, I quite like my existing silver medal in the table. :thumbsup:

A nice 7.5 mile loop at lunch time for me in just under an hour, the usual Sea Life Centre to Rottingdean and back again in 8 minutes per mile. I went undercliff first this time, rather than coming back that way - I think that makes it tougher because the hilly section is from mile 3.5 onwards.

I'm feeling a little bit of fatigue in the calves, so I'll hold off on the second gym session today and hit the pool in the morning. Assuming I'm up before 10am tomorrow, unlike today. :facepalm:

So - really sore upper heel - achilles, presumably. Like limping to walk slowly sore.

What does one do?

Asking for a friend.

Calf raises! I had that problem a bit last year, do a nice YouTube of calf raises and give them a go in your home on your steps and they'll both be fine with a bit of time.

Good to read so many positive postings to kick off the new season. Afraid I can't add to them just now as dropping out of my 3rd successive parkrun has confirmed that I need a break. I'm beginning to realise why the number of runners begins to diminish with age. I'd hoped to launch my arrival into my new 'very old git' category (and new year) with some decent runs, but I'm going to give January up. I had a good 2019 so mustn't grumble.
I'm also going for a dry January (so far so good!). Suspect that the combined effect of giving up running and drinking will result me being a miserable sod for a bit.

Enjoy your running!

Sorry to hear it. :down: But you can keep your enjoyment of running by volunteering and facilitating, rather than competing!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I am in no rush to see you record a 5k time in 2020, I quite like my existing silver medal in the table. :thumbsup:

Don't worry, I've got no plans to do a timed 5k until at least the spring. Yesterday was supposed to be a nice, gentle run but I was in an absolute state and barely made it out of bed!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Don't worry, I've got no plans to do a timed 5k until at least the spring. Yesterday was supposed to be a nice, gentle run but I was in an absolute state and barely made it out of bed!

That's EXACTLY how I was on the morning of the 28th, I wanted to continue my run of consecutive parkruns, although accept the end of my streak of quick results, but I was totally gone. Hungover beyond comparison, except New Years Day 2019 when I was also desperately hungover and barely conscious. :mad:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I did a fun run to end 2019 though...

Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 10.35.12 AM.png

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

What does one do?

Asking for a friend.

Rest firstly and most importantly ........anything that makes it hurt should be avoided. If it is AT, you’ll make it worse, then it will become chronic and a real long term problem

Put heel pads in your footwear to reduce the stress on your achilles for now, it’ll also make walking much easier

Heat (or ice, depending on your viewpoint but medical advice seems to be moving away from icing as a solution)

Then.....if no improvement within a few days, go and get a proper diagnosis. It could be something else, and without the diagnosis you can’t get a cure.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
[MENTION=474]
:bowdown: Magnificent from Mrs FP. That's what parkrun is all about - you have however many people all running for totally different purposes. If you asked every single person, post-parkrun, what their motivation for showing up was, you'd be amazed. Everyone there has different motiviations, experiences and reasons for wanting to be there. I'm glad she's been bitten by the bug! How old are the FP boys?

Thanks Ninja - the boys are 13 & 17. My eldest will be doing most Saturdays with my wife hopefully - but I will be taking the youngest to football training at 9am most weeks, so he wont get to do many...even though he is the "runner" of the family, and was the quickest in his age group at school for x-country etc. I will give it a go every now and again hopefully, but after spinal surgery in 2013 I find running really uncomfortable with the impact on my lower back.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I got mine from Run in Blatchington Road.

I’ll drop in this week. Thanks.
Everyone I know that wears the Hoka One One Carbon X absolutely loves them. They are Hoka's version of the carbon fibre plate shoe, with a 5 mm heel drop, so a slightly lower drop than Nike's carbon plate Vaporflys (8 mm). There seemed to be limited stock available here in the UK at the end of the year as they became more and more popular but it looks like more outlets are getting them back in now. I'm keen to try them out. No doubt there will be a 2nd edition of the shoe by the end of this year.

I don't think there's any chance of finding the Nike Vaporfly Next %'s at a reduced price anywhere unfortunately, but the first iteration of the Vaporfly, the Nike Vaporfly 4%'s have dropped in price so I definitely think worth looking at these. I think both Vaporfly's are super fast shoes but they're not very durable. I save my Vaporfly 4%'s for racing only because of that. I've done nearly 100 miles in them so far and they're showing signs of wear and tear already. I treated myself to a pair of Next %'s but saving them for the London Marathon.

I’m definitely interested in getting a pair. I can pay for them with my 100 days not drinking. It could help me finish the BM a bit closer to the heels of my nemesis [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]

No way will I get a 5k Pb with them though, I’d pay thousands for that.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I’m definitely interested in getting a pair. I can pay for them with my 100 days not drinking. It could help me finish the BM a bit closer to the heels of my nemesis [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]

No way will I get a 5k Pb with them though, I’d pay thousands for that.

I'm waiting for Nike to bring out the Vaporfly 20%

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Enjoy your running!

Sorry to hear that. Time to get on the bike, if possible. The Gasson got a sub 20 at the Prom on Saturday 84.5% and a mere 66 or 67 years old. We have to keep going. As you’ve seen yourself he gets injured half the time but bounces back. Good luck, I need you to set another AG just out of my reach.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Thanks Ninja - the boys are 13 & 17. My eldest will be doing most Saturdays with my wife hopefully - but I will be taking the youngest to football training at 9am most weeks, so he wont get to do many...even though he is the "runner" of the family, and was the quickest in his age group at school for x-country etc. I will give it a go every now and again hopefully, but after spinal surgery in 2013 I find running really uncomfortable with the impact on my lower back.

Sounds like being a high-vis hero will be more your role, facilitating the whole thing for everyone. :thumbsup:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I've not really got much on at work today, or yesterday, so I've invested many hours in building a training plan for Brighton Marathon 2020 AND cycling to Norwich. Based on my training plan (which includes Worthing Half and Lydd 20 Miles - both paid for today, and Hastings Half - which I haven't yet, that can wait until the next payday), I will have run 675 miles at the completion of the Marathon in April and I will have cycled 1,263 miles when I arrive into Norwich on the 10th.

Manchester Marathon is £65 to enter. :ohmy: That's just outrageous. I'm tempted by Llanelli Marathon, also on 5th April - £44. Both come with accomodation costs, but Llanelli is where my Grandma was born, she passed 15 years ago so I've not been back since. It might be a nice one to do - further research required. The logic is it might be better to do a marathon for a sub 3 time before the cycle, rather than trying to do the cycle and then the marathon PB in consecutive weeks. Decisions to be made!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here