Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
hey mate, Richmond Runfest still have places open for their 10K race on May 15th in the lovely surroundings of Kew Gardens (the day before the marathon) if you fancy a family trip up and have a go at the "Devil's Distance" :lol: https://www.richmondrunfest.co.uk/

It's the same day as our game v Man City but hopefully we'll be fine by then.

I was looking at Kew, but with a view to running the marathon.

Also Goodwood has a range of distances from 5k to marathon so considering a fast 20 mile race there, followed by Kew for the full distance.

Are you running in either event?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
3,000 not out.

A few days ago, on run streak day 430, I passed through another milestone. It’s taken me 1 year, 2 months and 3 days to run 3,000 miles. (And, without my recent and ongoing injury, it would have been around a week earlier - ggggrrrrrrr!)

It’s apparent how this consistent effort has enabled me to both increase my running volume and speed.⁣

0 - 1,000 miles: 174 days (5.7 miles per day)
1,000 - 2,000 miles: 131 days (7.6 miles per day⁣)
2,000 - 3,000 miles: 123 days (8.1 miles per day)

Over the same time, my 5km PB has improved from 21:57 to 19:01, 10km from 46:10 to 39:05 and the HM from 1:46:31 to 1:34:48.⁣

My knee is still playing up, but it’s at its most painful when sitting about, so I figure I should try to keep moving around! 10.5 hilly miles over the Downs today where it was bloody windy and freezing. I felt distinctly under-dressed, which is unusual because my body tends to run pretty hot once I'm moving.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Also Goodwood has a range of distances from 5k to marathon so considering a fast 20 mile race there, followed by Kew for the full distance.

The Goodwood races sound good! I'm in for the Richmond Runfest Marathon on May 16th, the day after their 10K. I think the marathon might have sold out of general places but there's charity places available.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

The Goodwood races sound good! I'm in for the Richmond Runfest Marathon on May 16th, the day after their 10K. I think the marathon might have sold out of general places but there's charity places available.

A word of warning about Goodwood (which I think I've mentioned on here before). It's by FAR the most boring race – not just marathon – I've ever run. Laps of the track (obviously) which is pretty tedious in itself, but with the different distance groups added into the mix as you plod. So you start with a very quiet field, then it gets really busy with a load of speed demons, then they all bugger off and you're left on your own.

Plus the signage and mileage markers can be confusing and annoying, while the course is more undulating that you might think.

It's a really odd event. I know that there's probably not another way of doing it, but having all the distances all together on the track doesn't really work for me.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I volunteered at that last time - closest I will get to a 10k race

Ha ha! I think the thing with BTT is that I don't really treat it as a race. It's more like a training run covering most of one of my regular routes (when the tide is out and there's no sinking sand) with a load of others coming along for the ride (run).

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

I noticed that last night. I could use a charity place, my work would sponsor and match give me to the minimum so I wouldn’t rule that one out.

I have been warned about Goodwood so maybe a half might be my best bet there.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
A word of warning about Goodwood (which I think I've mentioned on here before). It's by FAR the most boring race – not just marathon – I've ever run. Laps of the track (obviously) which is pretty tedious in itself, but with the different distance groups added into the mix as you plod. So you start with a very quiet field, then it gets really busy with a load of speed demons, then they all bugger off and you're left on your own.

Plus the signage and mileage markers can be confusing and annoying, while the course is more undulating that you might think.

It's a really odd event. I know that there's probably not another way of doing it, but having all the distances all together on the track doesn't really work for me.

This.

I used it as my final 20 mile training run before a marathon. There is something slightly unsatisfactory about the whole event (apart from the Mariachi band which is ace).

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Cycled to BHASVIC and played football for 90 minutes on Saturday at 80% capacity and again Sunday at 30%. I didn't have the strength to go on my "Recovery bike ride" on Monday!
This morning's run, as per the soleus injury recovery programme, I did a bit of slope work which incorporated two runs up Dukes Mound. I'm feeling better after each run, although my breathing isn't overly comfortable. 45 minutes for the route below.

Attachments

• Dukes Mound.JPG
    Dukes Mound.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 59

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Cycled to BHASVIC and played football for 90 minutes on Saturday at 80% capacity and again Sunday at 30%. I didn't have the strength to go on my "Recovery bike ride" on Monday!
This morning's run, as per the soleus injury recovery programme, I did a bit of slope work which incorporated two runs up Dukes Mound. I'm feeling better after each run, although my breathing isn't overly comfortable. 45 minutes for the route below.

Good work. Neatest piece of geometry I've seen from a run. Beautiful triangulation.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Certainly wouldn't rule it out - next one in May? I did think you looked a bit chunkier than usual, but in a way that's good as simply losing a couple of pounds will make you fly round.
I'm intend to turn up to our showdown under 10 stone but I'm only 3 pounds over anyway. I should aim at around 9st 10lbs or so but I'd feel I was setting myself up to fail.
Lack of moral fibre, that's what it is.

Found out yesterday that the over 60s category was won in 18:41. Now that is a hell of a time, so I was even more shocked when I found that 2nd in category was 18:41 too. They had a photo finish!

Glad we now have another challenge of weight loss. I'll be hoping to head down to 11 stone discarding 7-10lbs.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Found out yesterday that the over 60s category was won in 18:41. Now that is a hell of a time, so I was even more shocked when I found that 2nd in category was 18:41 too. They had a photo finish!

Glad we now have another challenge of weight loss. I'll be hoping to head down to 11 stone discarding 7-10lbs.

I think I'm a stone up on summer 2020, but one and a bit stone down on this time last year, so at least I haven't put it ALL back on!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think I'm a stone up on summer 2020, but one and a bit stone down on this time last year, so at least I haven't put it ALL back on!

I don't vary that much.....just consistently a stone heavier than I'd like to be - if I could muster up the enthusiasm and motivation to lose that I reckon I'd be close to 20 mins as well.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I don't vary that much.....just consistently a stone heavier than I'd like to be - if I could muster up the enthusiasm and motivation to lose that I reckon I'd be close to 20 mins as well.

If/when you do muster it up, I'd recommend at least giving MyFitnessPal a go. I stuck to it pretty rigidly and it opened my eyes to what I was eating – specifically the stuff I shouldn't be eating. I'm gearing myself up for round two to re-shed that stone by the summer...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If/when you do muster it up, I'd recommend at least giving MyFitnessPal a go. I stuck to it pretty rigidly and it opened my eyes to what I was eating – specifically the stuff I shouldn't be eating. I'm gearing myself up for round two to re-shed that stone by the summer...

Tried it loads of times - bit like FFL, always get bored of doing it after a few weeks. It doesn't help with the motivation, just the tracking. It's the former I'm lacking atm. Best results I ever had were following the 'Paleo diet for athletes' - might have another go at that as got on with it quite well (got me to where I am now, more or less)

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Blimey, that puts my 3-5lbs into the shade (types the man who has just chomped his way through a Double Decker. a mere 20 minutes after eating his lunch).

Managed 30 minute session running up and down slopes in the cemetery this morning. Must have burned off at least two mouthfuls of the chocky bar.

Mrs GNT does this 'no breakfast', fasting-till-lunch thing. I tried it once a few years back and it whittled off a few pounds. Didn't do much for the mood though. Perhaps I'll just turn up in lighter kit!

We'd better get someone on the finish line at Worthing with a camera - 2nd thoughts I've got the benefit of 2 minutes or so on you. I'm not great at maths but even I've worked out that it's 1 minute per 5k. It doesn't seem much when you look at it like that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I set myself the target of being sub-12 stone on April 1st which I managed, so I'm the lightest I've been in adult life. I've not had a chance to test out the impact on a speedy run yet though, due to my troublesome knee.

But, today being Thursday, it was #BarefootCrew5k day, so I gave another shoeless run a go. I bettered last week's time with a 21:16. I've noticed I keep negative-splitting these runs unintentionally - today was 7:07 - 6:50 - 6:39 - 5:50 - I can only guess that subconsciously I start off cautiously but then relax and speed up a bit.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Blimey, that puts my 3-5lbs into the shade (types the man who has just chomped his way through a Double Decker. a mere 20 minutes after eating his lunch).

Managed 30 minute session running up and down slopes in the cemetery this morning. Must have burned off at least two mouthfuls of the chocky bar.

Mrs GNT does this 'no breakfast', fasting-till-lunch thing. I tried it once a few years back and it whittled off a few pounds. Didn't do much for the mood though. Perhaps I'll just turn up in lighter kit!

We'd better get someone on the finish line at Worthing with a camera - 2nd thoughts I've got the benefit of 2 minutes or so on you. I'm not great at maths but even I've worked out that it's 1 minute per 5k. It doesn't seem much when you look at it like that.

Had just 2 oatcakes and hummus for lunch. This failed as an hour later I was forced to finish the Beacon Blue Goat’s Cheese followed by 2 Hot Cross Buns.

Might have another crack at Ardingly next month but the 8:30pm race time is off putting. I’ll wait a few weeks.
https://race-nation.co.uk/register/...TsBe3MsORBLwVkHDIFlE_jze89CQdQKc_gVaJwEo31hi8

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here