Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Went long with another 20 miles at a comfortable cruising effort banked this morning. Felt smooth clipping along. Back to bopping along tomorrow to make it a solid 90 mile week.

Have a good weekend of running guys! Hopefully we'll see a good performance and result tonight to make it a very good weekend!

Whilst running "yesterday's" speed intervals today (8X1/4 miles @6:22 pace) I realised I was at your marathon pace and furthermore my yearly total of 140 miles was surpassed by you in the last 10 days!

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Random running achievement report.

Did a steady seafront 15 km this morning - perfect day for it. Nothing special as a run in itself, but it represents the end of my Covid daily runstreak which I started just before lockdown no 1 last March, and reached 365 days today. Not heroic distances by any means (total 3029 km, average 8.3 km per day, no days less than 5 km), but it’s more than I’ve ever done, and as well as wanting something to focus on in lockdown, I was interested to see if it was possible at age 65 without injury (it is ... bar a slightly niggly Achilles in the last couple of months). I’m now going to take a couple of days off, as I can feel it becoming addictive and I need to break the pattern and get back to a normal rhythm of runs.

Overall it’s had a clearly positive impact on my cardiovascular fitness and general endurance, but it’s done absolutely nothing for my speed (if anything I’ve slowed slightly - be interesting to see if that’s just fatigue and I’ll speed up once I start resting more).

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Whilst running "yesterday's" speed intervals today (8X1/4 miles @6:22 pace) I realised I was at your marathon pace and furthermore my yearly total of 140 miles was surpassed by you in the last 10 days!

Nice work Gaffer! Great effort with the intervals! :thumbsup:

The running is feeling very smooth at the moment and the long run work I’ve been doing over the last couple of months where I’ve been mixing it up with over & under marathon pace effort have been feeling pretty comfortable which is really pleasing. It’s my most important “quality” day. Trying to get as conditioned as possible going long at a decent clip.

As you know I’m all about time spent running, stacking consistent weeks of solid running to make the biggest fitness gains. Nothing silly, spectacular or crazy specific, just ticking over with solid work to slowly find improvements come calling over time.

Working from home over the last year has meant more time open up to get out for a run most days so I’ve been able to enjoy maintaining volume from week to week which has definitely helped lead to improvements.

But I’m 100% certain it’s not the running but the big increase in time available to prioritise rest & recovery - without the stressful and energy-sapping daily commute & work travel for example - that has been the single biggest factor in navigating improvements safely.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Random running achievement report.

Did a steady seafront 15 km this morning - perfect day for it. Nothing special as a run in itself, but it represents the end of my Covid daily runstreak which I started just before lockdown no 1 last March, and reached 365 days today. Not heroic distances by any means (total 3029 km, average 8.3 km per day, no days less than 5 km), but it’s more than I’ve ever done, and as well as wanting something to focus on in lockdown, I was interested to see if it was possible at age 65 without injury (it is ... bar a slightly niggly Achilles in the last couple of months). I’m now going to take a couple of days off, as I can feel it becoming addictive and I need to break the pattern and get back to a normal rhythm of runs.

Overall it’s had a clearly positive impact on my cardiovascular fitness and general endurance, but it’s done absolutely nothing for my speed (if anything I’ve slowed slightly - be interesting to see if that’s just fatigue and I’ll speed up once I start resting more).

Congrats on the 365 day runstreak! Incredible achievement and fantastic running! :clap2:

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Question. A long while back I tore my medial meniscus. After much rest and physiotherapy my physio tells me I can ease back into running again. Problem is, I can't seem to pull the trigger and try it out other than a few cautious runs across intersections. Can anyone who has come back from one give me an idea of how it was? I'm not looking for anything more than a walk jog routine to get back into it, but I can't seem to get over the fear of tearing it again.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Great running everyone. I racked up another 50 mile week of plodding as I close in on the March 200!

A bit of a change for my long run this weekend as I accompanied my niece on her first half marathon attempt yesterday. A 10am start and running/dodging people along the packed seafront was a bit of a change from COD up the Downslink/SDW, but equally as enjoyable.

She was raising money for Macmillan, who looked after her Nan – my MIL – years ago and while she plays football, she's also suffered big problems with her feet and had several ops on them over the years. Sod's law, with a mile to go her foot gave way and she was in agony. Luckily she's almost as determined and stubborn as her uncle, so the next minute she was back on it up to the finish line. Garmin said it was just under 2:05, but the time was irrelevant – just finishing was a hell of an achievement.

Big shout out to [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] for chucking some sponsor money her way :thumbsup:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
One for the Gaffer. Did a 10k today. A pretty ordinary time (48.11/73.31%) but my best since 2019.

It would be awfully kind if you could let me know, well in advance, what your time/AG for the Worthing 10K will be (give or take 5 seconds) and then I could try to train accordingly. I'm sure that Seb Coe would have been considerate enough to convey similar info to Steve Ovett in advance of the Moscow Olympics. I think co-operation is so much more fulfilling than that nasty competitive stuff.

I think I'm going to have to do a lot better than 48.11.

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
One for the Gaffer. Did a 10k today. A pretty ordinary time (48.11/73.31%) but my best since 2019.

It would be awfully kind if you could let me know, well in advance, what your time/AG for the Worthing 10K will be (give or take 5 seconds) and then I could try to train accordingly. I'm sure that Seb Coe would have been considerate enough to convey similar info to Steve Ovett in advance of the Moscow Olympics. I think co-operation is so much more fulfilling than that nasty competitive stuff.

I think I'm going to have to do a lot better than 48.11.

Ha ha, of course I can.��
I’m thinking sub 44 if no injury. Just over 76% but I’ll be training for sneaking under 43:00 which is 6:55 mile pace and 78.33%. Thing is that was my time 4 years ago racing [MENTION=11716]Penny’s harmonica [/MENTION] the Phoenix and it killed me then but I can dream.

I can tell you in 6 weeks time but at the moment you’re looking at sub 46” for Worthing. I think it’s a 2” gap. On current form you’re well in the lead as I haven’t built up to 5k yet.

Nothing like posting targets for motivation. ����

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Ha ha, of course I can.��
I’m thinking sub 44 if no injury. Just over 76% but I’ll be training for sneaking under 43:00 which is 6:55 mile pace and 78.33%. Thing is that was my time 4 years ago racing [MENTION=11716]Penny’s harmonica [/MENTION] the Phoenix and it killed me then but I can dream.

I can tell you in 6 weeks time but at the moment you’re looking at sub 46” for Worthing. I think it’s a 2” gap. On current form you’re well in the lead as I haven’t built up to 5k yet.

Nothing like posting targets for motivation. ����

That's lovely. But would I be pushing your good nature to request that you go just a little bit slower, please?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I've run this event a few times over the years - it used to be a Wednesday evening and start/finish on the track. I think the atmosphere was better then.

Over the past few years, I've done 44.33 in 2016 (age 61) and 47.14 in 2019 (age 64). The time you are looking at would win the category some years, although Gasson won it in under 40 a few years ago. Well he would, wouldn't he?

I remember cheering you on once - but I think the heat got to you?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've run this event a few times over the years - it used to be a Wednesday evening and start/finish on the track. I think the atmosphere was better then.

Over the past few years, I've done 44.33 in 2016 (age 61) and 47.14 in 2019 (age 64). The time you are looking at would win the category some years, although Gasson won it in under 40 a few years ago. Well he would, wouldn't he?

I remember cheering you on once - but I think the heat got to you?

https://www.strava.com/activities/1614074803
Heat was no problem I had decided to run off the pace. Maybe my slowest 10k ever. 47:31 403rd finisher 358th male. I started at the back with [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] and ran through from the back getting a nice 6:17 pace for the last 1/3 of a mile.

[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] enjoyed the cool floor in the shade of a seafront shelter for quiet a while afterwards. :lolol: NSC's favourite race......

Had another bad day 4 months later at the Arena Hove 10k https://www.strava.com/activities/1918165597 another bad day at The Phoenix 2017 https://www.strava.com/activities/1080603248

It was 5 years ago I got a good run out finishing in front of newbie Ninja https://www.strava.com/activities/640068759

Right 5 years is a long time without a decent 10K. It's going to be a do or die effort in 82 days time.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
https://www.strava.com/activities/1614074803
Heat was no problem I had decided to run off the pace. Maybe my slowest 10k ever. 47:31 403rd finisher 358th male. I started at the back with [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] and ran through from the back getting a nice 6:17 pace for the last 1/3 of a mile.

[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] enjoyed the cool floor in the shade of a seafront shelter for quiet a while afterwards. :lolol: NSC's favourite race......

Had another bad day 4 months later at the Arena Hove 10k https://www.strava.com/activities/1918165597 another bad day at The Phoenix 2017 https://www.strava.com/activities/1080603248

It was 5 years ago I got a good run out finishing in front of newbie Ninja https://www.strava.com/activities/640068759

Right 5 years is a long time without a decent 10K. It's going to be a do or die effort in 82 days time.

Oh, sh*t, I've rattled the tiger's cage.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Question. A long while back I tore my medial meniscus. After much rest and physiotherapy my physio tells me I can ease back into running again. Problem is, I can't seem to pull the trigger and try it out other than a few cautious runs across intersections. Can anyone who has come back from one give me an idea of how it was? I'm not looking for anything more than a walk jog routine to get back into it, but I can't seem to get over the fear of tearing it again.
I'm just coming back from a torn soleus. I too am ultra-wary of doing it again. I've been doing the jog/walk stuff and am now up to 4.5 minutes of running and 0.5 seconds of walking. Yesterday, I met a mate at BHASVIC and we had a kick-about for 2.5 hours. I don't know where the time went. Subconsciously, I was being careful all the time, but found myself sprinting occasionally without knowing it. I ache quite a bit today. Wednesday will be my last jog/walk session. I'm going to risk a gentle 30 minute non-stop run on Friday. I will be "listening" for the slightest sign of any sensation in my calf. This will probably be how it is until I've forgotten about being careful as the running gets easier and the aching gets less.
I imagine this will be the same with you? All the advice seems to be to take it easy and build up gradually. I've been building up to where I am now for about six weeks. I'm really pleased with how I've progressed. Hope you progress well too.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Oh, sh*t, I've rattled the tiger's cage.

I’ve put that page and post in my calendar on the Worthing 10k date. We can then see how it is tested by time.

I read that a race 10k time indicator is the pace you can run 4x1 mile intervals with 2 mins rest. At 7:15 last week I’m on 45:03. When I run a 5k next month I can use the 5kX2 plus a minute rule.

I like this AG Old Gits NSC Challenge..............................................

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I’ve put that page and post in my calendar on the Worthing 10k date. We can then see how it is tested by time.

I read that a race 10k time indicator is the pace you can run 4x1 mile intervals with 2 mins rest. At 7:15 last week I’m on 45:03. When I run a 5k next month I can use the 5kX2 plus a minute rule.

I like this AG Old Gits NSC Challenge..............................................

Interesting predictor. Going back several decades I recall that the rough and ready predictor was your 5k time x 2 + 1 minute. This seems optimistic and the more recent modelling now is more like 2+ minutes. Of course we are all different and my current performance is 2 x 5k + 3.5+ mins. This is dire but gives grounds for a reasonable expectation of room for improvement...................In simple terms I've got to put in rather more than my standard 15-20kms training weeks!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Interesting predictor. Going back several decades I recall that the rough and ready predictor was your 5k time x 2 + 1 minute. This seems optimistic and the more recent modelling now is more like 2+ minutes. Of course we are all different and my current performance is 2 x 5k + 3.5+ mins. This is dire but gives grounds for a reasonable expectation of room for improvement...................In simple terms I've got to put in rather more than my standard 15-20kms training weeks!

+ 2 minutes seems a lot. Me personally , I'm disappointed if my 10k isnt my pb 5k x 2 ( or thereabouts). Done this without detailed training plans just pushing hard and fast every run.

Everyone's different I guess but if you can max out at 5k then I don't think you should really lose any speed 10k. That should be the aim anyway.

Interesting one

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
+ 2 minutes seems a lot. Me personally , I'm disappointed if my 10k isnt my pb 5k x 2 ( or thereabouts). Done this without detailed training plans just pushing hard and fast every run.

Everyone's different I guess but if you can max out at 5k then I don't think you should really lose any speed 10k. That should be the aim anyway.

Interesting one

Just think how you feel at the end of a maxed out 5k and what you'd say to someone who told you to run it again at the same pace. Seriously, I've always thought that we have a distance that is 'naturally' our optimal one (Pity poor old John Regis whose was 300 metres!)

And some people just hate some distances.

Thus there are some very decent runners on our thread who detest the 10K distance, whilst being comfortable with distances either side of it.

So yes for various reasons we are all different. But I'm pretty sure that I personally hide behind this stuff and use it as a bit of a feeble pretext to avoid long training runs!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Were I Mrs Bozza, I think I'd put you under house arrest! Take care.

I hobbled out just over a mile at 13:36/mile pace on Saturday, improved to 2 miles at 9:55mile pace on Saturday and managed 4 miles @ 9:22/mile pace yesterday.

My knee is still very sore and swollen, and I can't really bend it more than 90 degrees but it's improving day on day - there's no way I could have moved 4 miles on Saturday, for example.

So the streak is alive, just, and now up to day 417!

Checking back on Strava, the last time I ran a shorter distance than 5 miles was on August 5th when I had a bad back after a few days camping, meaning I ran 5 miles or more on 226 consecutive days. That wasn't intentional - I knew I'd not done a "rest day mile" for quite some time, but I didn't know when that was.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Interesting one

When I took my 10km PB down from 41:32 to 39:05 in one go a few weeks ago, I also picked up a 5km PB of 19:01 en route. Looking at my splits of 6:26 - 6:25 - 6:04 - 6:09 - 6:14 - 6:27, I assume that fast 5km was in the middle somewhere.

But it feels logical that my fastest possible 5km must be faster than that. If I'm aiming to be completely spent at the end of 5km, and manage that correctly, I shouldn't have the capacity to run the same again at the same pace.

The men's 5000m WR is 12:35, while the 10,000m is 26:11 so, at that level, the 10km takes an additional 30s per 5km covered or about 4%.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The men's 5000m WR is 12:35, while the 10,000m is 26:11 so, at that level, the 10km takes an additional 30s per 5km covered or about 4%.

If that 4% held true at my lowly level, I should be capable of an 18:45 5km, as that equates to a 10km of 39:00.

I suspect away from the elites, the difference would be greater than 4% as my gut feel is my flat out 5km-and-no-more would be closer to 18:30 than 18:45. I might be overly optimistic though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here