Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If that 4% held true at my lowly level, I should be capable of an 18:45 5km, as that equates to a 10km of 39:00.

I suspect away from the elites, the difference would be greater than 4% as my gut feel is my flat out 5km-and-no-more would be closer to 18:30 than 18:45. I might be overly optimistic though.

Sub 18:30 would be my guess based on your longer splits. Parkrun test beckons :smile:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
+ 2 minutes seems a lot. Me personally , I'm disappointed if my 10k isnt my pb 5k x 2 ( or thereabouts). Done this without detailed training plans just pushing hard and fast every run.

Everyone's different I guess but if you can max out at 5k then I don't think you should really lose any speed 10k. That should be the aim anyway.

Interesting one

I couldn’t walk after my 5k PB, and could only just about breathe. Took me another 2 days before I could face the next 5k.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just think how you feel at the end of a maxed out 5k and what you'd say to someone who told you to run it again at the same pace. Seriously, I've always thought that we have a distance that is 'naturally' our optimal one (Pity poor old John Regis whose was 300 metres!)

And some people just hate some distances.

Thus there are some very decent runners on our thread who detest the 10K distance, whilst being comfortable with distances either side of it.

So yes for various reasons we are all different. But I'm pretty sure that I personally hide behind this stuff and use it as a bit of a feeble pretext to avoid long training runs!

John Regis 300m Champion :lolol: Maybe I'll work on running 1.19876 mile races.................

The calculators obviously work differently for elites, for distance to middle distance runners and with age. This calculator adopts your rule with a 1min45 sec increase from 5K X2 https://sporttracks.mobi/labs/race-finish-time-predictor#type=long-distances Putting my mile time in gives 41:50 which IS not going to happen, which highlights how you adapt your own running to the calculators. I'm a short track bully and suffer longer distance burn out.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
John Regis 300m Champion :lolol: Maybe I'll work on running 1.19876 mile races.................

The calculators obviously work differently for elites, for distance to middle distance runners and with age. This calculator adopts your rule with a 1min45 sec increase from 5K X2 https://sporttracks.mobi/labs/race-finish-time-predictor#type=long-distances Putting my mile time in gives 41:50 which IS not going to happen, which highlights how you adapt your own running to the calculators. I'm a short track bully and suffer longer distance burn out.

I need to put 18:43 for a 5km into that for it to produce 39:01, my actual 10km best.

If I put in that 10km best of 39:01, it predicts 1:26:05 for the half-marathon, which is nearly 9 minutes quicker than I've done.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
When I took my 10km PB down from 41:32 to 39:05 in one go a few weeks ago, I also picked up a 5km PB of 19:01 en route. Looking at my splits of 6:26 - 6:25 - 6:04 - 6:09 - 6:14 - 6:27, I assume that fast 5km was in the middle somewhere.

But it feels logical that my fastest possible 5km must be faster than that. If I'm aiming to be completely spent at the end of 5km, and manage that correctly, I shouldn't have the capacity to run the same again at the same pace.

The men's 5000m WR is 12:35, while the 10,000m is 26:11 so, at that level, the 10km takes an additional 30s per 5km covered or about 4%.

yeah good point , my pb is 20:07 5k and 40:33 10k ( generally im about 21ish and 42 ish at the moment though)

Based on what you have said , I maybe should be quicker and sub 20 on my 5 k then. Maybe thats where I'm not quite emptying the tank like i think i am

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I need to put 18:43 for a 5km into that for it to produce 39:01, my actual 10km best.

If I put in that 10km best of 39:01, it predicts 1:26:05 for the half-marathon, which is nearly 9 minutes quicker than I've done.

You're still defying gravity with your improvements and should beat any current predictor if ever in a race.
Then the fear of blowing up halfway round will either boost your adrenaline to a record performance or you will blow up! That's the magic of putting it on the line.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

What's your 10 mile best ? You'd be pretty close to being able to extrapolate that min per mile for a HM - hanging on for 3 miles is doable, particularly in a race environment. From what you've been posting 1.26 sounds far more likely than 1.35 even without gunning it.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
+ 2 minutes seems a lot. Me personally , I'm disappointed if my 10k isnt my pb 5k x 2 ( or thereabouts). Done this without detailed training plans just pushing hard and fast every run.

Everyone's different I guess but if you can max out at 5k then I don't think you should really lose any speed 10k. That should be the aim anyway.

Interesting one

Mirroring your 5k PB race pace effort over 10k on a kind flattish course is quite some feat. :)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What's your 10 mile best ? You'd be pretty close to being able to extrapolate that min per mile for a HM - hanging on for 3 miles is doable, particularly in a race environment. From what you've been posting 1.26 sounds far more likely than 1.35 even without gunning it.

I took my 10m best from 1:10:36 to 1:08:01 on my runstreak anniversary.

Looking at it on Strava now, I sped up a bit as I went. My splits were: 7:00 - 6:52 - 6:55 - 7:02 - 7:03 - 6:46 - 6:41 - 6:27 - 6:34 - 6:46

I can't recall the run now, but I suppose it's likely I had 3 * 7 minute miles in me if I really needed to, which would have got me to just sub 1:30.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Talking of running fast and racing, the British Olympic Marathon Trials takes place on Friday morning in Richmond around Kew Gardens.

There's some seriously rapid guys and girls running. The first two eligible men and women who hold an Olympic qualifying time standard will secure a place at the Tokyo Olympics.

A couple of the men and women already have the qualifying time in the bag so (just) need to come top 2. Most don't have the qualifying time though so they'll be going out to get under the time AND come in the top 2.

It's available to stream on the British Athletics website and BBC online. Gun goes off at 8am. Should be a great watch.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Mirroring your 5k PB race pace effort over 10k on a kind flattish course is quite some feat. :)

maybe way train , red lining constantly , my max is my max speed regardless if its 100m or 5k or 10k , lungs are bursting whichever way do it . Drop off for me starts occuring 10k plus when legs and things start being on the edge of injures. Guess thats where long slow runs would help but just cant do it

Very individual isnt it

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
maybe way train , red lining constantly , my max is my max speed regardless if its 100m or 5k or 10k , lungs are bursting whichever way do it . Drop off for me starts occuring 10k plus when legs and things start being on the edge of injures. Guess thats where long slow runs would help but just cant do it

Very individual isnt it

That's some going to be able to do a 100m sprint 62 times without a drop off. :bowdown:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Very individual isnt it

Yes if I ran at that intensity of effort with that frequency I think I'd find it hard to enjoy my running and I'd break down in no time for sure. :)

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
A nice sunny & still morning up in Hertsmere-land to get some quicker leg turnover work in the bank today. Nothing crazy - just some bread & butter 6 x 5 mins (off 2mins) intervals in a local park, starting out at 5:40 min/mile effort, progressing down to low 5:30s. Kept it controlled.

Some park maintenance guys who were doing some work in the park cheekily closed the footpath around the park mid session (they were watching me... :lolol:) so I had to head onto the grass for the last 2 reps which was a nice change.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Started my 10k event build up with a nice easy 14k @ 5.30* pace. Well that was the intention. I delivered the 5.30 part but only managed half the distance. Knees creaking, motivation flagging. Need a picture of the Gaffer in full flow to pin up somewhere.

*that's per km Artie, not per mile!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Talking of running fast and racing, the British Olympic Marathon Trials takes place on Friday morning in Richmond around Kew Gardens.

There's some seriously rapid guys and girls running. The first two eligible men and women who hold an Olympic qualifying time standard will secure a place at the Tokyo Olympics.

A couple of the men and women already have the qualifying time in the bag so (just) need to come top 2. Most don't have the qualifying time though so they'll be going out to get under the time AND come in the top 2.

It's available to stream on the British Athletics website and BBC online. Gun goes off at 8am. Should be a great watch.

One of the runners - Paul Navesey - lives in Mid Sussex - often see him out and about and I know his parents (also runners). Think he's got a best of about 2.17.

Had my AZ jab on Monday night - no obvious side effects at all until I started to run yesterday - and was like a couple of gears were missing. Slightly better today but still a bit sluggish - not had any other issues (so far). I mentioned it on our coaching group and the coach said he's heard the same from several runners - suggested taking it easy for a couple of days otherwise seems those effects last longer. May be worth bearing in mind...........

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
One of the runners - Paul Navesey - lives in Mid Sussex - often see him out and about and I know his parents (also runners). Think he's got a best of about 2.17.

Had my AZ jab on Monday night - no obvious side effects at all until I started to run yesterday - and was like a couple of gears were missing. Slightly better today but still a bit sluggish - not had any other issues (so far). I mentioned it on our coaching group and the coach said he's heard the same from several runners - suggested taking it easy for a couple of days otherwise seems those effects last longer. May be worth bearing in mind...........

I felt fine the morning after my AZ jab so went running but then crashed badly afterwards - fever/high temp- and did wonder if running contributed to this. May have been better to just take it easy the next day as a precaution.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
A nice sunny & still morning up in Hertsmere-land to get some quicker leg turnover work in the bank today. Nothing crazy - just some bread & butter 6 x 5 mins (off 2mins) intervals in a local park, starting out at 5:40 min/mile effort, progressing down to low 5:30s. Kept it controlled.

Some park maintenance guys who were doing some work in the park cheekily closed the footpath around the park mid session (they were watching me... :lolol:) so I had to head onto the grass for the last 2 reps which was a nice change.

When you say off 2 minutes, is that complete rest or jogged recovery?

I tend to vary my sessions between complete rest after intervals and jogging. Whilst I jog at a very slow pace, it makes a fair difference to my recovery.

Just used the Velodrome for 6 x 800 metres with 360 jogged recovery which is around 2 minutes duration. The last interval was 2:41 which I was pleased with. Not too far away from my best mile pace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here