Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
You, [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] and [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] can get the coffees in whilst you're waiting for the rest of us to finish

I'm up for getting the coffees in dazzer but just as long as we (safely) stay together and run as one. No breakaways and no one gets left behind. Them's the group run rules. :)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm up for getting the coffees in dazzer but just as long as we (safely) stay together and run as one. No breakaways and no one gets left behind. Them's the group run rules. :)

I'll be with [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] running alone (oxymoron). I don't do group running, group walking and triathlon buddies can f*** off.
Might make an exception for you lot, if I'm now allowed in..

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'll be with [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] running alone (oxymoron). I don't do group running, group walking and triathlon buddies can f*** off.
Might make an exception for you lot, if I'm now allowed in..

I'm another that is a great fan of running alone. No distractions and nothing to hold you back on days where everything clicks and you're flying.

Don't even think about trying to talk to me when I'm out on a run.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I used to be a run alone only guy, but I’m now converted to groups when allowed or pairing up for long runs, time trials and interval sessions.

I’m more than happy still, to go alone, but the time and distance seems to pass much more quickly paired up.

Another positive is it can slow you down for recovery runs, which is no bad thing.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm not saying I wouldn't run with anyone ("wouldn't" is reserved for races), just that I never have.

Not unless my dog counts, anyway. He's annoyingly quick.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
As someone that you would most definitely place in the introverts category I find social running is a lot of fun once in a while.

I do pretty much all my running alone which I love as it's my "me" time but since Covid and working from home, I do miss my work group runs every Tuesday and Friday lunchtimes. As [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] says, social running is perfect to dial things back.

When it comes to training, if you want to improve and get faster it's very beneficial to find someone quicker than you.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I benefit from club track sessions as the group allows you to relax and find a rhythm. It is , however, competitive and at a pace just above talking.
Anyone who has spent a day at the cricket with me, a match at the Amex [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] will testify, or a group run would be happy for me to be off alone. It’s the wife I feel sorry for.....

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Another solo runner here (not counting Bruno the dog, these days) – normally because I'm out too early. However this month I've run a couple of times with Jnr Bobkins and once with a mate who I bumped into half-way home (we live near each other).

I'm not averse to running with other people though, it often makes a nice change.

On the subject of London, I thought it was changing back to Flora this year? Has that all gone to pot after Covid, or what, because I see it's back with Virgin Money?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
In other news, many of you know I'm not too fussy when it comes to running shoes - one pair for road and one for trails does me fine.

But these have just turned up at Bobkin HQ for ones that are falling apart and they are MEGA!
52d0303b2583d540da3b5342ce7e4b24.jpg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
In other news, many of you know I'm not too fussy when it comes to running shoes - one pair for road and one for trails does me fine.

But these have just turned up at Bobkin HQ for ones that are falling apart and they are MEGA!
52d0303b2583d540da3b5342ce7e4b24.jpg

Saucony have been in fine form over the last year or so.

They look fab!

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Sorry, but had to put these up. My last 2 runs, My first ever half marathon distance, followed by a run where I am actually some way under a 10m mile pace!

Capture2run.JPG

for someone who only started running last August, and is still carrying around 10kg more than they probably should, I'm quite chuffed!

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Sorry, but had to put these up. My last 2 runs, My first ever half marathon distance, followed by a run where I am actually some way under a 10m mile pace!

View attachment 133651

for someone who only started running last August, and is still carrying around 10kg more than they probably should, I'm quite chuffed!

Fantastic work! Well done on your progress :thumbsup:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

View attachment 133651

Well done. Good distances to have in your locker.

Now you need to decide what you want from running - faster, further, don’t care, enjoyable, etc, etc?

Suggest you mix it up with some shorter distances like 3k or 5k and push yourself a bit to go faster. Perhaps try 2 x 1k with a 5 minute walk in between. Or some faster pace runs uphill.

You might need to set yourself a goal, eg. A half marathon in under 2 hours in 2021.

A massive improvement. Well done

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Now you need to decide what you want from running - faster, further, don’t care, enjoyable, etc, etc?

to shift that surplus 10kg!

I only started to keep fit whilst not being able to go to the gym when working in the office. As it looks as though office life will never fully return to the way it was, then I'm likely to keep on running. I'm not competitive (unless challenging myself) so now I've done a HM I just want to enjoy it, and control my weight. I love food and drink but for a 47 year old it has negative effects on the waistline. This is my antidote.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
to shift that surplus 10kg!

I only started to keep fit whilst not being able to go to the gym when working in the office. As it looks as though office life will never fully return to the way it was, then I'm likely to keep on running. I'm not competitive (unless challenging myself) so now I've done a HM I just want to enjoy it, and control my weight. I love food and drink but for a 47 year old it has negative effects on the waistline. This is my antidote.

It’s a classic dilemma. Running (longer distances) can make you hungry and crave all the wrong foods and drinks. There’s a saying “you can’t out train a bad diet” so unfortunately running will only help you shed the pounds.... you know the rest!!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It’s a classic dilemma. Running (longer distances) can make you hungry and crave all the wrong foods and drinks. There’s a saying “you can’t out train a bad diet” so unfortunately running will only help you shed the pounds.... you know the rest!!

100% this. I run 40-50 miles a week most of the time but I'm still lardy :tantrum:

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
100% this. I run 40-50 miles a week most of the time but I'm still lardy :tantrum:

Its tough isn't it. I'm running 6k five times a week and have cut out booze this month, and my weight is not moving at all. Doesn't help being unemployed and stuck in the house for longer than I'd like to be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here