Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Finally got round to resetting my password again, been off here for a while again!

Anyone doing the Sussex Downs Trail run from Plumpton on Saturday? I have a 10.45 start time. Weather forecast looks dire and they have already said before today and tomorrows rain that the course is muddy!

Looking forward to race number 4 for the year and it will actually be my 100th race! Never thought I would be putting that!!

2 Ultras (50k & 100k)
16 Marathons
27 HMs
14 10 milers
27 10ks
1 20 miler
1 Ragnar Relay (Dover to Brighton)
11 others

All this after saying never again after my first marathon back in 2011 (my second ever race!)

Fantastic effort, Mr B. Great totals for under a decade of running. I'm not sure how many races I've done in total because I only count marathons really. I could/should work it out at some point.

Race-wise, 2020 has been quiet for me with only virtual ones completed, as far as I can remember. Hoping that a few more real life ones are on next year to get back on track.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Finally got round to resetting my password again, been off here for a while again!

Anyone doing the Sussex Downs Trail run from Plumpton on Saturday? I have a 10.45 start time. Weather forecast looks dire and they have already said before today and tomorrows rain that the course is muddy!

Looking forward to race number 4 for the year and it will actually be my 100th race! Never thought I would be putting that!!

2 Ultras (50k & 100k)
16 Marathons
27 HMs
14 10 milers
27 10ks
1 20 miler
1 Ragnar Relay (Dover to Brighton)
11 others

All this after saying never again after my first marathon back in 2011 (my second ever race!)

Great running Mr Blobby! I would never have guessed that 27% of your races are for 10k NSCs favourite distance for pain. Must be a record in itself.

My return to running part 2 was good yesterday. My failure in return part 1 was due to going relatively too fast, too long, too many days (3) in succession and having an unstretched, for 6 months, body. Cost me 3 weeks with piriformis syndrome, which is a pain in the arse... if only I had listened to my own advice. Good news is it wasn't a rheumatoid flare up and I can now relax into the 9"-10" mile pace.

Argartu

Jun 5, 2014
Hey NSC - I've been running for about a yr & a half now, mainly 5k's with some 10's thrown in here and there. Had an issue about four months in that was caused by the crappy trainers I was wearing and sorted by getting a proper pair of shoes.

However, over the last few weeks I've developed a tight muscle/pain in the rear of the right kneecap and it's driving me mad! I can only do a mile before it flares up and then I have to stop & stretch it out, or bin the run off entirely. The next day it's stiff but I can walk on it, going down stairs on the other hand makes me look like an 80 year old!

Seeing a physio isn't really an option at the moment - But after some research I think it might be the popliteus muscle flaring up. Has anyone else had this problem before?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hey NSC - I've been running for about a yr & a half now, mainly 5k's with some 10's thrown in here and there. Had an issue about four months in that was caused by the crappy trainers I was wearing and sorted by getting a proper pair of shoes.

However, over the last few weeks I've developed a tight muscle/pain in the rear of the right kneecap and it's driving me mad! I can only do a mile before it flares up and then I have to stop & stretch it out, or bin the run off entirely. The next day it's stiff but I can walk on it, going down stairs on the other hand makes me look like an 80 year old!

Seeing a physio isn't really an option at the moment - But after some research I think it might be the popliteus muscle flaring up. Has anyone else had this problem before?

Edit: just read it again. Think I’m barking up the wrong tree! Is it at rear of leg part of knee? If so this may help.......

Tough luck Agartu. I had popliteal as part of a rheumatoid arthritis flare 4 years ago. It went after 2-3 months in my case. It’s tissue and often called Baker’s Cyst or bursitis. We always state on here that an injury is NOT always what we believe it to be. Yours should feel like a squidgy liquid filled sac.
RICE is the answer but you seem to have had long rest times. GP visit may help, if possible, you’ll have to overplay pain and problems walking to get treatment.
Good luck. https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/health/injury/a760206/bodyworks-bakers-cyst/

Last edited:

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Good man.

Why on earth does anyone living in the UK measure distance (with the exception of 5km and 10km runs) and pace in kilometres?

I've always been good at mental arithmetic, but when someone quotes their pace in minutes and seconds per kilometre, it might as well be in Japanese. I have no idea what it means.

Brexit aside, and the fact that a metric or SI system of measurement integrates so seamlessly across different fields (distance, volume, mass whatever) and therefore feels more logical, I find personally that it works much better psychologically for me when running than a miles-based system does. A km just feels better as a core unit - the kms tick by on long runs just that bit faster to give the sense of progress, and if, as I do, you monitor pace after each km, then any adjustments you have to make, if you’re too slow or fast on the previous km are that much more manageable.

So I’m exactly the opposite - people talking pace in mins per mile are talking gibberish for me; the only benchmark I have is that 8 min miles are 5 min kms, so I have a vague idea of whether the pace they’re on about is faster or slower than that. #teamkilometres

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Brexit aside, and the fact that a metric or SI system of measurement integrates so seamlessly across different fields (distance, volume, mass whatever) and therefore feels more logical, I find personally that it works much better psychologically for me when running than a miles-based system does. A km just feels better as a core unit - the kms tick by on long runs just that bit faster to give the sense of progress, and if, as I do, you monitor pace after each km, then any adjustments you have to make, if you’re too slow or fast on the previous km are that much more manageable.

So I’m exactly the opposite - people talking pace in mins per mile are talking gibberish for me; the only benchmark I have is that 8 min miles are 5 min kms, so I have a vague idea of whether the pace they’re on about is faster or slower than that. #teamkilometres

Here here brother. My sentiments as well.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Not sure if you're aware of what I can only refer to as "a half mile". These tick round even quicker than your French unit of measurement, thus delivering greater benefit more quickly than your alien metric.

(I suspect, for most of us, it's just whatever we started using way back when and have stuck to. Mrs Bozza didn't adjust her Apple Watch from km to miles when she first got it, so always measures in kms as a result. Wierdo.)

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Not sure if you're aware of what I can only refer to as "a half mile". These tick round even quicker than your French unit of measurement, thus delivering greater benefit more quickly than your alien metric.
.)

Fair point, and if I could easily set my watch to bleep my pace every half mile, I’d consider it.

But actually, then I might as well go the whole archaic British nationalist sentimental hog, and start measuring my distance in rods and furlongs, and running in doublet and hose rather than technical running gear.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Fair point, and if I could easily set my watch to bleep my pace every half mile, I’d consider it.

But actually, then I might as well go the whole archaic British nationalist sentimental hog, and start measuring my distance in rods and furlongs, and running in doublet and hose rather than technical running gear.

I find the 5K better split into 3 with a 0.1 run in and the 10k split into 2X3 miles with a nasty 0.2 run in.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I find the 5K better split into 3 with a 0.1 run in and the 10k split into 2X3 miles with a nasty 0.2 run in.

That’s my tactic.....

Mile 1 - run it far too fast
Mile 2 - coast, trying to regulate breathing and bring HR down
Mile 3 - **** it only about 7 mins left, go for it
Last .1 - ****, still got 200 yards to go and got nothing left in the tank

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
That’s my tactic.....

That can often be my tactic. I know I’ve run a good race when mile 2 is quicker or as quick as mile 1. Doesn’t happen often though.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
I find running to km's is great for interval work outs and specific speed work.

For everything else I'm either running to miles or usually to time. Eg. most days I just head out for a 50 / 60 / 75 mins run, not worrying about how far or fast I go, but they all count.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
That’s my tactic.....

:sick:��

After reading on here about Welbeck’s Guardian interview I realised I’ve never seen him run. He says only Tariq maybe able to out sprint him from the squad. His goal against Villa looked like he was lumbering but he left the 2 defenders behind and had 100% composure to score. Great speed for the old 30 year old.
Your job, I think you won a seat, and any others going is to report his speed on Monday.

Last edited:

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
Completed my first ultra marathon yesterday - 50km around Anglesea in Victoria, about one hour south of Melbourne. Apologies, but I couldn't work out how to resize the photos.
128916567_10157493443486716_3385225747333715351_n.jpg129330842_10157493443751716_9033239460523587209_n.jpg129900304_10157493443806716_3336735714248122445_n.jpg128598367_10157493443891716_6430411662569603957_n.jpg128336438_10157493443951716_1924010333306675064_n.jpg129474009_10157493444056716_1139638479795150048_n.jpg

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
:sick:��

After reading on here about Welbeck’s Guardian interview I realised I’ve never seen him run. He says only Tariq maybe able to out sprint him from the squad. His goal against Villa looked like he was lumbering but he left the 2 defenders behind and had 100% composure to score. Great speed for the old 30 year old.
Your job, I think you won a seat, and any others going is to report his speed on Monday.

I’ll be watching closely - and agree, he didn’t look like he was moving that fast, but the defenders never got anywhere near him. Tariq has already been clocked at 36kph...........or an 8.5 minute parkrun if he could maintain it [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here