Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yeah - and I know which team he might end up in. !:)

All the best for the comeback.

One of the perks of the job!

Welcome to the best thread on NSC, [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] – there isn't a lot I can add that hasn't been said by the others, to be honest. The most important thing is enjoyment or else what's the point?

Looking forward to some kind of social NSC run in 2021 – the majority of the year without races or even seeing people at parkrun has been pretty soul destroying. The way things are going [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION], you might have to be bossing four or five NSC teams at Weakest Link next year!

Cajole not boss. I'm not knocky ....................!

Any news on The Moyleman? 17 weeks away this Sunday perfect for a winter training plan. It should go ahead but it will be a fight to get one of the 200-250 places. Registration still planned for January.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not only do I not do kilometres, I don't do mobile phones either!:ohmy:
I write my times down in the back of my week to view diary!!

Welcome...another #teammiles here (Brexit means Brexit :))

Nothing much to add to what's been posted already - other than maybe add in some harder bits from time to time. Don't need to be structured intervals necessarily, just drop in 10-60s of faster bursts and slower recoveries immediately after during your 'standard' runs........

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
One of the perks of the job!

Cajole not boss. I'm not knocky ....................!

Any news on The Moyleman? 17 weeks away this Sunday perfect for a winter training plan. It should go ahead but it will be a fight to get one of the 200-250 places. Registration still planned for January.

Not heard anything, but I'm sure they'll announce plans pretty soon. Gonna be one hell of a bunfight, I know that!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Good man.

Why on earth does anyone living in the UK measure distance (with the exception of 5km and 10km runs) and pace in kilometres?

I've always been good at mental arithmetic, but when someone quotes their pace in minutes and seconds per kilometre, it might as well be in Japanese. I have no idea what it means.

My Mrs uses kilometres for some unfathomable reason, which always makes talking about routes and distances 'interesting'. It usually ends up with our phones side by side for comparison.

I went for a pleasant trail run on the Downs this morning. I didn't make any effort on pace, so unsurprisingly there was no evidence of going quickly at any point when I inspected the run on Strava afterwards :lol:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
I've been off strava for a while with limited running in 6 months but just realised who you are. Excellent running. Sub 19 when Parkrun resumes well on the cards. I'll be looking out for you on the Prom in 2021 ready to sign you up for one of the NSC Weakest Link relay teams next June.

Ready for comeback 2 today. Will do a walk/run warm up, cool down and slow Fartlekky sort of thing with lots of stretching afterwards.

Brilliant to hear Gaffer! All the very best with the start to running again. :thumbsup:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Chuffed to have hit 3,000 injury free miles for the year (4,828 km for the crazy running folk among us :lolol:) on this morning's run. :ascarf:

This was me celebrating when I got home - https://www.instagram.com/reel/CITPasCH0y4/?igshid=kwjdv4g0kysk :lolol:

If this mobility routine is good enough for Eliud Kipchoge (the greatest marathon runner of all time), it's good enough for me. I am a huge Eliud fanboy though.

Outstanding mileage – as opposed to kilometreage :lolol:

Just out of interest, how long did it take you? I was trying to figure out how I would ever fit in that much running, but then you're quite a bit quicker than me. For example, my 1,542 miles has taken 225hrs (across 258 runs)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Chuffed to have hit 3,000 injury free miles for the year (4,828 km for the crazy running folk among us :lolol:) on this morning's run. :ascarf:

This was me celebrating when I got home - https://www.instagram.com/reel/CITPasCH0y4/?igshid=kwjdv4g0kysk :lolol:

If this mobility routine is good enough for Eliud Kipchoge (the greatest marathon runner of all time), it's good enough for me. I am a huge Eliud fanboy though.

Blimey.......excellent stuff.

By the way....anyone in Sussex been out today ? It’s absolutely minging. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Blimey.......excellent stuff.

By the way....anyone in Sussex been out today ? It’s absolutely minging. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

It's horrible.

I was due to take the dog out for his second walk of the day so just made it a dog jog to save me from getting soaked twice. Just did laps of the nearby Gallops in Findon for a little over five miles. As I'm very much recovering from my November mileage, I was happy to call it quits then!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Good to see [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] ready for comeback #2. Hopefully this can be sustained and I can trail in your wake on the prom in '21.

Another miles person here. As [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] says, any Brit measuring runs and pace in KM (with the exception of the 5 and 10 race distances) goes down as an oddball in my books.

And go out today? Nah. No thanks :lolol:

(If there's one thing that's good about no races it's not "having" to do this weather - unlike the 16 mile training run I did for BM2019 that left me the wettest and coldest I've ever been)

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Outstanding mileage – as opposed to kilometreage :lolol:

Just out of interest, how long did it take you? I was trying to figure out how I would ever fit in that much running, but then you're quite a bit quicker than me. For example, my 1,542 miles has taken 225hrs (across 258 runs)

Many thanks! :)

That's really fantastic volume too!

Great question about how long it's taken. I didn't know so just logged onto Strava and it comes in at running the distance in 304 days. I think the most pleasing thing is that I haven't had any niggles, plus I've been able to tick along pretty consistently in terms of volume from one month to the next. Making the best of a bad situation with lockdown.

Distance: 3,001.5 miles
Time: 377h 48m
Elev Gain: 142,254 ft
Days: 304
Runs: 323

January - 219 miles / 25 days
February - 219 miles / 24 days
March - 267 miles / 27 days
April - 304 miles / 30 days
May - 341 miles / 31 days
June - 343 miles / 30 days
July - 312 miles / 30 days
August - 291 miles / 29 days
September - 210 miles / 23 days
October - 236 miles / 27 days
November - 230 miles / 25 days
December - 30 miles / 3 days

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Many thanks! :)

That's really fantastic volume too!

Great question about how long it's taken. I didn't know so just logged onto Strava and it comes in at running the distance in 304 days. I think the most pleasing thing is that I haven't had any niggles, plus I've been able to tick along pretty consistently in terms of volume from one month to the next. Making the best of a bad situation with lockdown.

Distance: 3,001.5 miles
Time: 377h 48m
Elev Gain: 142,254 ft
Days: 304
Runs: 323

January - 219 miles / 25 days
February - 219 miles / 24 days
March - 267 miles / 27 days
April - 304 miles / 30 days
May - 341 miles / 31 days
June - 343 miles / 30 days
July - 312 miles / 30 days
August - 291 miles / 29 days
September - 210 miles / 23 days
October - 236 miles / 27 days
November - 230 miles / 25 days
December - 30 miles / 3 days

I had to look at Strava to find out my stats – I don't want you thinking I'm a complete numbers nerd! That IS really good consistency – those lockdown days really helped, eh? I think I've hit 200 miles in a month once, but given that is/was double my standard benchmark, it's not surprising. Great about the fitness/lack of injury – looks like all the right elements came together running-wise in 2020 :thumbsup:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
I had to look at Strava to find out my stats – I don't want you thinking I'm a complete numbers nerd! That IS really good consistency – those lockdown days really helped, eh? I think I've hit 200 miles in a month once, but given that is/was double my standard benchmark, it's not surprising. Great about the fitness/lack of injury – looks like all the right elements came together running-wise in 2020 :thumbsup:

Haha! :lolol: I'm all in for some running nerdery so all good and thank you for asking as I didn't think to break my numbers down. It's pretty cool to lay it out over the year so thank you! :thumbsup:

I think working from home over the last 10 months has helped free up the time in the mornings, plus I had two marathon training blocks to prepare for London 2020 that were both cut short early so I twice had a period of building up the base volume, at the start of the year and in the summer.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My Mrs uses kilometres for some unfathomable reason, which always makes talking about routes and distances 'interesting'. It usually ends up with our phones side by side for comparison.

I went for a pleasant trail run on the Downs this morning. I didn't make any effort on pace, so unsurprisingly there was no evidence of going quickly at any point when I inspected the run on Strava afterwards :lol:

I asked a middle-aged female pal why she used kms......answer was 'REALLY simple' apparently..................... "10km sounds longer than 6m when you put it on facebook" :wrong::shrug::shit:

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Finally got round to resetting my password again, been off here for a while again!

Anyone doing the Sussex Downs Trail run from Plumpton on Saturday? I have a 10.45 start time. Weather forecast looks dire and they have already said before today and tomorrows rain that the course is muddy!

Looking forward to race number 4 for the year and it will actually be my 100th race! Never thought I would be putting that!!

2 Ultras (50k & 100k)
16 Marathons
27 HMs
14 10 milers
27 10ks
1 20 miler
1 Ragnar Relay (Dover to Brighton)
11 others

All this after saying never again after my first marathon back in 2011 (my second ever race!)

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Finally got round to resetting my password again, been off here for a while again!

Anyone doing the Sussex Downs Trail run from Plumpton on Saturday? I have a 10.45 start time. Weather forecast looks dire and they have already said before today and tomorrows rain that the course is muddy!

Looking forward to race number 4 for the year and it will actually be my 100th race! Never thought I would be putting that!!

2 Ultras (50k & 100k)
16 Marathons
27 HMs
14 10 milers
27 10ks
1 20 miler
11 others

All this after saying never again after my first marathon back in 2011 (my second ever race!)

That's very impressive :clap2:

My first race was also in 2011, The Brighton Marathon. Now you've got me thinking how many I've done. Certainly nothing like 100. My second race was in 2016 :lolol:

3 marathons
4 half marathons
5 10ks
3 8ks
3 5 ks
4 Ragnar relays (2 road, 2 trail)
3 others

So, 25 in total. Plus 5 virtual races this year.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

2 Ultras (50k & 100k)
16 Marathons
27 HMs
14 10 milers
27 10ks
1 20 miler
11 others

I meant to enter but didn't get round to it before it sold out.................haven't seen the route but I guess it involves going up to the ridge at some point (possibly the Plumpton Bostal which is a bit of a b*tch LOL) so shouldn't be too muddy going up, and if then on the SDW that's generally OK too. The trails around the racecourse will be the worst bits - there used to be a WSFRL fun run from the Racecourse and it was usually a mudbath. .

I think I've only done 2 'actual' races this year - Steyning Stinger marathon and Track Wars (Phoenix track marathon) both in March, plus a virtual 50 miler in May and a virtual marathon last week. 100 marathon club membership remains a very long way off :lol::lol::lol:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Interesting conditions for 5 miler today. Horizontal ice at one point

Legs actually completely numb on the way back and as wet as if had jumped in the bath.

Quite enjoy a wet run but that was ridiculous

Another in the bank though

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I asked a middle-aged female pal why she used kms......answer was 'REALLY simple' apparently..................... "10km sounds longer than 6m when you put it on facebook" :wrong::shrug::shit:

I think Mrs Orange just had her watch set to km for the Winter 10k up in London, and couldn't be bothered to reset it afterwards...

:facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here