Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Anyone else still running ?

Yes still getting out. Just surpassed my highest ever annual total and only in August. 1335 miles so far and with four months remaining. Aim now is to get to 2000 or 2020.

I’ve seen a few races start back up so very keen to get in for one by the years end. Downland Devil 9 looks like it’s still on so that could be the one. A tough hilly, off-road 9 miler in Lancing.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

A bit. Struggling with a niggly ankle/heel. Ok for 90 mins or so then really starts to burn (running or walking). Have just binned off the CW50 I was planning to do in a couple of weeks after a ‘test run’ yesterday- predictable great 90 mins then it started playing up. Have had a couple of sports massages on my lower leg which helped a bit but it’s not fixed.

Physio appointment booked for next week. Will stick to 90 mins or so or less sessions until it’s sorted. Hopeful I can replace CW50 with the SDW50 in a couple of months time

On the plus side, I’ve done over 100,000ft of elevation this year and about 1,300 miles

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

No, and no intention of restarting any time soon. I have a dodgy knee and toe, have put on about 3 stone and still don't trust my lungs. I doubt I'll get my mojo back until races restart properly. I have literally no desire to run at all unless I can race people and try for PBs.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
A bit. Struggling with a niggly ankle/heel. Ok for 90 mins or so then really starts to burn (running or walking). Have just binned off the CW50 I was planning to do in a couple of weeks after a ‘test run’ yesterday- predictable great 90 mins then it started playing up. Have had a couple of sports massages on my lower leg which helped a bit but it’s not fixed.

Physio appointment booked for next week. Will stick to 90 mins or so or less sessions until it’s sorted. Hopeful I can replace CW50 with the SDW50 in a couple of months time

On the plus side, I’ve done over 100,000ft of elevation this year and about 1,300 miles

Sounds very similar to what I have but I start like a cripple and slowly the pain fades.

I’ve been to two physios which have helped but still the pain is there. Advice from them is to foam roll the calf and stretch specifically the soleus.

No foam roller on holiday so will need to continue when I get back.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Yep - still hanging in there.

Run steak day 214 today, which is exactly seven months now.

This time last week my legs were feeling really beat up so since then I’ve lowered my mileage (38 miles last week instead of c50), kept to shorter runs (longest run last week was 6 miles) and taken each run at an easy pace.

My legs are improving but I’m going to do a few more days like this until I think they feel properly fresh again.

Managed 203 miles this month which is a record, just one mile more than last month but it all counts!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Just about, very small distances at the moment. I got lazy when my marathon was cancelled and summer hit.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

I've been trying to pick up my running over the last couple of weeks with the weather getting a bit cooler. Having said that, I didn't run over the weekend. Too many beers at the wedding I went to on Saturday put paid to my plan to run on Sunday morning. I'm going to try and get out for 10k today though.

I have finally bought some new running shoes. I've switched back to Saucony Ride. I managed to get a brand new pair for $80 from a friend of a friend who'd bought them just before lockdown and got the wrong size. I do like a good bargain.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

Yes. And still enjoying it - most of the time. Currently on day 163 of lockdown runstreak. 2020 total so far is 1380 miles, which is a best for me. Speed work has gone to pot, and I don’t anticipate smashing any parkrun or 10k PBs when events resume, but I’m feeling pretty strong for longer distances and (touch wood) this is my longest period (just over 2 years) without a running injury.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Back to it after a 3 week injury/holiday break. Just got a place in the new forest half on 20th September so hoping to ease up the volume over the next couple of weeks.

Interested in the shoe chats - I've always been an asics man but looking to switch. My Nike fly knit zoom 2s are fast but give me blisters.

Any suggestions for a light every day shoe (no carbon plate)?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Picked up a bike in lockdown and cyclying to and from work now (around 11 mies in total) but really want to pick up some sort of challange. Mostly doing 5km/10km but pace has certainly dropped in last 6 months.

Maybe I'll start a new 5K training plan...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
No.
2 easy, careful warm up miles last week made the sole of my foot ache and the Achilles sore. Got carpal tunnel syndrome in my wrist. An overuse ������and arthritis issue.The Nerves in hand irritate at night and every 15” go dead and have to be shaken and held in the air. Rheumatoid flare up will be over soon and still relatively happy it’s a mild attack.

Garmin 35 still not finding satellites so 735 purchased ready to track my 4-6 weeks holiday swimming the lakes and sea and walking mountains in N. Ireland and Donegal. It’s going to be many long uphill slogs in the rain.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
No.
2 easy, careful warm up miles last week made the sole of my foot ache and the Achilles sore. Got carpal tunnel syndrome in my wrist. An overuse ������and arthritis issue.The Nerves in hand irritate at night and every 15” go dead and have to be shaken and held in the air. Rheumatoid flare up will be over soon and still relatively happy it’s a mild attack.

Garmin 35 still not finding satellites so 735 purchased ready to track my 4-6 weeks holiday swimming the lakes and sea and walking mountains in N. Ireland and Donegal. It’s going to be many long uphill slogs in the rain.

Sounds like a great holiday coming up and an opportunity to rebuild lost fitness.

As for me, I'm sort of halfway between the NSC injured and the OKs. Managing 2/3 runs a week - usually including one 5k time trial (now around 23 minutes) and a 13k run very slowly. Achilles and knees tend to complain after(but not during) these runs. I suppose my current situation best described as 'ticking over' and awaiting an event to focus on.

Rowing is going well - great to still be shaving the odd second off PBs over different distances. It's like being a 30 year old runner again! I've also acquired a 70lb kettlebell.......... but can't do much with it.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I think it comes down to the feel of the ride. I'm hoping the Peg 37's will start to come alive a bit but it's not looking good. When I compare them to another of my every day shoes the New Balance 1080v10's they really fall short. The 1080v10's are a fantastic shoe. Can't praise New Balance high enough for a poppy, responsive but comfortable "all rounder" shoe. I'm also a big fan of the lower drop Hoka Rincon's, just a lovely smooth ride for an every day shoe, if only they had put a little more rubber protection on the outsole.

Yeah I was really confused why Nike flooded their trail commuter range with the Wildhorse, Terra Kiger, Peg 36 Trails and the Peg Trail! They all seem to be very similar trail crossover shoes?

Trying to cruise around on wet clay or chalk terrain does sound quite dicey and I'm not sure deeper lugs would help reduce slipping and getting some better traction but maybe? Something like the Salomon Speedcross or Hoka Speedgoat? The Nike trail shoes always look amazing, but brands like Salomon, Inov-8 and Hoka know their stuff when it comes to "true" trail shoes. :D

Based on this I've plumped for some 1080v10s for my everyday shoe - interested to see how NB are having never run in them before. Next up is a new 10k-HM/M racing shoe - might hold out for the saucony endorphic pros!

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Based on this I've plumped for some 1080v10s for my everyday shoe - interested to see how NB are having never run in them before. Next up is a new 10k-HM/M racing shoe - might hold out for the saucony endorphic pros!

Nice! Let me know what you think. They were my first pair of New Balance running shoes too. I've been so impressed with them from day one and they've been my go-to every day shoe since. I have two pairs in my shoe rotation at the moment, both at around 400 miles so far and they still feel and look as good as new. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. :thumbsup:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Nice! Let me know what you think. They were my first pair of New Balance running shoes too. I've been so impressed with them from day one and they've been my go-to every day shoe since. I have two pairs in my shoe rotation at the moment, both at around 400 miles so far and they still feel and look as good as new. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. :thumbsup:

Hopefully here next week. The new forest HM is in a couple of weeks and is primarily gravel/tracks so I'd like to break in the 1080s in case I want to use them in preference to by Flyknit zooms - not sure about a carbon plate on that kind of course.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Worthing 10k confirmed as on for Sunday 4th October. An 8am start with phased starts and no baggage.

I’ll aim to be there for everyone’s favourite distance.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Hopefully here next week. The new forest HM is in a couple of weeks and is primarily gravel/tracks so I'd like to break in the 1080s in case I want to use them in preference to by Flyknit zooms - not sure about a carbon plate on that kind of course.

Great stuff! I've found them to be a versatile "all rounder" and no problem deviating from the road and running on trail/dirt paths, but see how you get on with them in comparison with your other shoes. Good luck with the race! :thumbsup:

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Heads up. Not sure if already mentioned on the thread, but entries for Beachy Head Marathon, half and 10k (18-25 Oct) have just reopened for limited slots about 10 minutes ago. I’ve signed up for the half

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
San Sebastián marathon cancelled, so that’s a full house of 2020 cancellations for me :-(

Will look at Downland Devil. Holding off from Beachy- definitely on my go do list but would rather do it in a proper year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here