Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
How are you getting on [MENTION=24168]jimi[/MENTION]ngham? 6 now to go and fatigue is becoming an issue for me along with chaffing around my crutch. I think the next 3 will be the toughest as it will be getting light just after 4 and I’m hoping that brings renewed energy.

I’m OK, thanks. I’d set myself a target and I’m a good ten minutes inside it so I’m easing off and enjoying the final couple of miles at an easier pace, having pushed hard in the dark. Legs feel fine, as I’d been training for an endurance event that’s been shelved for a year. I’m just running out of batteries now but that’s fine. Just the one to go and then it’s bath time.

How are you doing now? Hope the dawn has reinvigorated you.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
I’m OK, thanks. I’d set myself a target and I’m a good ten minutes inside it so I’m easing off and enjoying the final couple of miles at an easier pace, having pushed hard in the dark. Legs feel fine, as I’d been training for an endurance event that’s been shelved for a year. I’m just running out of batteries now but that’s fine. Just the one to go and then it’s bath time.

How are you doing now? Hope the dawn has reinvigorated you.

Well done, sounds like you had a comfortable 24 hours. It has been good to have something to focus on after so many cancellations. I feel quite spaced out. I can’t decide if it feels like I just landed on a flight from Singapore or I just got home after a night in the Zap.
I think I enjoyed it but probably need a day to reflect.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Congratulations to our all day and all nighters.

An update for the table with my 5k. A bit fuzzy headed today and legs on fire so a few easy days ahead.

NAME NSC 5K NSC 5K AG NSC 3K NSC 3K AG
Big Nuts 18:16 74.72% 10:45 72.19%
knocky 20:46 77.23%
Simgull 21:0772.17%
GNT 21:24(W) 78.38% (W) 12:52 74.11%
Greg Bobkin 21:27 64.8%
Bob! 24:00 67.42%

NAME NSC Mile AG NSC Mile Time
Artie Fufkin 80.57% 4:59
Knocky 77.74% 5:56
Fitzcarraldo 76.04% 4:53
GNT 75.37% 6:24
Big Nuts 73.15% 5.22
Penny's Harmonica 71.35% 6:025
Ninja 69.89% 5:21
Anchorman 69.36% 6:39
Dazzer6666 68.13% 6:26

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Father’s Day innit......

48f1f7bd88a4cc548346f71a9ee9ea78.jpg

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just popping an update on here to save the thread popping any further down page two! Well done to the P24ers – great achievement. I actually got a bit of FOMO being kept updated about some others who were doing it. Was there a straight 24 hour distance category too? I saw a few people on the Phoenix FB group posting about mega mileages...

I had 15 miles on Saturday morning along the SDW with only cows for company, then two miles yesterday morning to keep RED June going. Four miles this morning in 'new' shoes (ones I've had for ages, but not used much because I thought they were more casual trainers, not proper runners) and they seem to be OK.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Hi all. Been following the thread to gain some lockdown motivation - many thanks for those who've also given me strava kudos. I felt the need to post a little milestone of my own - I went out today and did a 10k in under 40 minutes for the first time in 12 years! The previous occasion being the Brighton HM in 2008.

I've struggled with a hip labral tear for about 15 years now that has limited my running, however the current situation has provided a perfect opportunity for slow and consistent increase so I'm pretty please with reaching around 20 miles a week and (just) tipping into 3 runs a week. Have got my eye on HM as soon as events open up again.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Hi all. Been following the thread to gain some lockdown motivation - many thanks for those who've also given me strava kudos. I felt the need to post a little milestone of my own - I went out today and did a 10k in under 40 minutes for the first time in 12 years! The previous occasion being the Brighton HM in 2008.

I've struggled with a hip labral tear for about 15 years now that has limited my running, however the current situation has provided a perfect opportunity for slow and consistent increase so I'm pretty please with reaching around 20 miles a week and (just) tipping into 3 runs a week. Have got my eye on HM as soon as events open up again.

Great to hear from you. With your current times and obvious pedigree, you could find yourself well to the north of the thread's various competitions, although they do tend to be over shorter distances.

Just two things:

1.We (or some of us!) are into age grading, so it would it be good to know your vintage. (If you are over 60, you can ____ off as you are far too good!)

2. Good to see you are clearly a Garry Nelson fan. But just about the only thing I'm sure of on the planet is that he's a 'rr' and not an 'r'.

All the best, GNT (not a pedant: honestly!)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Great to hear from you. With your current times and obvious pedigree, you could find yourself well to the north of the thread's various competitions, although they do tend to be over shorter distances.

Just two things:

1.We (or some of us!) are into age grading, so it would it be good to know your vintage. (If you are over 60, you can ____ off as you are far too good!)

2. Good to see you are clearly a Garry Nelson fan. But just about the only thing I'm sure of on the planet is that he's a 'rr' and not an 'r'.

Maybe it's this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Nelson_(director)

:shrug:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

Just two things:

I hang my head in shame that I never noticed! An insult to my childhood idol!

For age grading, I'll be 40 in a few weeks. I saw the table of results and (mostly due to their injury inducement) I stay away from short, sharp efforts. I have a strava-confirmed 19.31 for 5k from a few weeks ago and a 1.22 Brighton HM from 12 years ago!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I had a good, but completely unplanned run yesterday. I was all set to go out for a bike ride with a couple of friends. I got down to the secure bike storage area in my building only to discover the keypad wasn't working. The security guy told me an engineer had been called but wouldn't be coming yesterday.

I decided going for a run was the only option. I think my anger helped me to get into my stride pretty quickly and I settled into an enjoyable run. Unfortunately, it was 10:30 by the time I got out on a hot and humid day here. It was in the high 20s with humidity so I spent my whole time looking for shade and wiping away the sweat. After a couple of weeks of this weather I think I'm finally used to running in the heat again. A nice 16k run gave me my first 50k week for a little while.

One thing I've found is after about a month of low volume weeks (around 30k) I seem to have got over the niggling little injuries I was starting to feel. Having these breaks really helps the body to heal, even without stopping completely.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

For age grading, I'll be 40 in a few weeks. I saw the table of results and (mostly due to their injury inducement) I stay away from short, sharp efforts. I have a strava-confirmed 19.31 for 5k from a few weeks ago and a 1.22 Brighton HM from 12 years ago!

Cheers. 40 = new age category. A good time to peak.

PS If you want to get your AG then we use this calculator. But given that you are getting faster and about to have a birthday, you might want to wait a few weeks?

http://www.howardgrubb.co.uk/athletics/wmalookup15.html

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Cheers. 40 = new age category. A good time to peak.

PS If you want to get your AG then we use this calculator. But given that you are getting faster and about to have a birthday, you might want to wait a few weeks?

http://www.howardgrubb.co.uk/athletics/wmalookup15.html

Gaffer is onto it. Indurain’s 5k will go in the Virtual Lockdown table. Welcome.
69.42%
The 40th Birthday and a repeat performance or better will put that into the 70+% band.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

By the way, just to show you that you selected your childhood hero wisely, Garry was a top bloke off the field too. I can't say that we were BFFs but I taught Garry when he was a mature student on a part time Business course for 2 years. This was the time when several bigger clubs were after him and he was at the top of his form (I claim no credit).

He was bright, modest and just an all round nice lad.

His only flaw in my eyes was this (and it was a serious one): he turned down my invitation to play for our staff team against the students. We lost - and Garry's grades , I have to say, suffered badly.

Seriously, he was a role model for any young pro.

PS I got my own back on him by beating him in an annual 3.5 mile charity run along Worthing prom, whereupon he explained very nicely that he'd run the first part of it with his toddler.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
By the way, just to show you that you selected your childhood hero wisely, Garry was a top bloke off the field too. I can't say that we were BFFs but I taught Garry when he was a mature student on a part time Business course for 2 years. This was the time when several bigger clubs were after him and he was at the top of his form (I claim no credit).

He was bright, modest and just an all round nice lad.

His only flaw in my eyes was this (and it was a serious one): he turned down my invitation to play for our staff team against the students. We lost - and Garry's grades , I have to say, suffered badly.

Seriously, he was a role model for any young pro.

PS I got my own back on him by beating him in an annual 3.5 mile charity run along Worthing prom, whereupon he explained very nicely that he'd run the first part of it with his toddler.

Good to hear!DHBqY9-XYAE86OH.jpg

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Just checking in on the running thread and looks like everyone has been very active. I managed my first marathon distance just before my birthday in May - essentially the Arun River Marathon up to Rackham Hill and back - and I have run at least 5K every day through June so far, in fact 10K yesterday and then again this morning - the weather is so nice it's just a pleasure to be out on the LA seafront first thing. I did the Centurion 50k in a week a couple of weeks ago and lining up to do the One Up challenge in July.

Anyway, having just popped my periscope up for a quick look see, no doubt it's back to submerging for a while until I remember to participate!

Happy running one and all.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Been ****** from my 5k effort. Last day for June’s PP Magic Mile tomorrow. The Gasson has set a 5:45 target today. That gives me 11 seconds to find (no Vaporfly last time!). See how I feel in the morning after a bottle of red before making a decision for a virtual 80%. Body says no and so does the head, so it’s all down to the football and the wine to give me a lift.

Anyone interested in this? Especially the West Sussex boys.
07CEFA1B-62CA-436F-8979-405C29B3043A.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here