Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Well done NE - great effort. I got close to my best time of the year (22:16), somehow, so I must be doing something right...

Thanks GB, it slowed down dramatically in that final rise up the hill! Sounds like you're heading in the right direction. 22:16 would have been my PB a month ago, just keep ticking away, it's worked for me - but as said above, it's important to do things other than run distances. Hill sprints and 1km reps are extremely effective.

Thats an impressive time and one I'm aiming towards but I would need to take 80 seconds of my PB to achieve so it's going to be tough. A friend uses Withdean athletics track for training with a group and I can imagine fast track training would have a hugely beneficial effect on your 5 & 10k times.

Prior to the Brighton marathon I ran with 3 very good runners who really pushed me along at a decent pace for fifteen miles. On your own it's sometime difficult to push yourself outside of the comfort zone unless you go out with a specific goal and a Garmin watch to track.

I've shaved about that sort of time off my own in the last month or so, so it can be done. I'd love to run at Withdean, but it would be too emotional running past where the South Stand should still be standing.

I agree completely. My times with my housemate, who could comfortably leave me behind, are much better than when I'm self pacing it.

I realise this is probably a thread full of expertise runners who will SCOFF at my complete ignorance but a quick question for you.

I don't really LIKE running but I want to get into it. I play football twice a week so have a basic level of fitness and have gone for a few 5k runs.

Would I be COMPLETELY naive to consider entering the half marathon in Feb? Is that just a ridiculous ask or can it be done?

I didn't like it either, when I started. I started running purely because I couldn't sleep, so I was up early every day and I started running along the sea front. I've completely changed my opinion on running now, and I've sacked off playing football almost completely. Running makes you feel much better than after playing football, I found.

I run a half marathon, randomly, every month. It can be done, and my quickest time is 1:45:30, and that is a fair few minutes quicker than my next best. The Strava app is very useful as it compares your segment times against other people, so you're effectively racing everyone who has ever run that segment before. It keeps you focused, it tracks your times, distances and split times - it's essential if you're trying to get into running.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I realise this is probably a thread full of expertise runners who will SCOFF at my complete ignorance but a quick question for you.

I don't really LIKE running but I want to get into it. I play football twice a week so have a basic level of fitness and have gone for a few 5k runs.

Would I be COMPLETELY naive to consider entering the half marathon in Feb? Is that just a ridiculous ask or can it be done?

I've finished parkrun before and been around people that said they hated the experience, but I can't understand that, because I love to run.

As for doing a HM? Yeah, you'll be fine. I first started running years ago (from scratch) in July, and by the following February I ran a HM, then London Marathon in April. It can be done; I always say that anyone can run a marathon, they just have to WANT to do it, and put in the effort.

Good luck. Brighton is a good one too, nice and flat. I entered Barns Green HM this morning – looking forward to it, as I've not done a half (race-wise) for ages.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You're already doing a decent 5k. You could (sensibly) train up to do a comfortable half marathon in 10-12 weeks (putting it very simply, add a mile to your longest run each week, then have a light week before the event). Loads of suggested schedules online to take a look at.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
That's great. Thanks for the reply. I did a couple of 5k runs (ive never run any distance prior to that) and did them in around 25mins. I must admit I was tired by the end of them but that was leg tiredness rather than fatigue and lack oif breath.

I'm tempted but just feel I lack the love of running to go for training runs of any significance. I will have to play it by ear.

If you can do an untrained 5k in 25mins, a half-marathon with 5 months of reasonably committed training will be a piece of piss. Seriously.

Oh, and you're supposed to feel funked and blowing out of your arse at the end of a 5k; it may only last 20 minutes, but it's a hard and intense road running distance.

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
good thread ... ran 7km on sunday and wore my new watch with heart strap thingy too... average heart beat was 153 .... max 168 ...
i ran it the 7km in 47 mins ... my plan is to run the same course for a while ... mainly flat but one hill ...the loops are 2.2kms long and took me about 14 mins, add a bit to get to the loop and back at the beginning and end

any thoughts welcome , looking to increase the distance but would also like to get faster ...or should i be concentrating on getting that average heart rate down ,,, no idea myself although i think i will go for increasing the distance at a similar speed first ... anyway let me know what you think .... am male, aged 53, 1.83 and 91kg which were all things the watch wanted to know!! ... all ideas welcome

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
good thread ... ran 7km on sunday and wore my new watch with heart strap thingy too... average heart beat was 153 .... max 168 ...
i ran it the 7km in 47 mins ... my plan is to run the same course for a while ... mainly flat but one hill ...the loops are 2.2kms long and took me about 14 mins, add a bit to get to the loop and back at the beginning and end

any thoughts welcome , looking to increase the distance but would also like to get faster ...or should i be concentrating on getting that average heart rate down ,,, no idea myself although i think i will go for increasing the distance at a similar speed first ... anyway let me know what you think .... am male, aged 53, 1.83 and 91kg which were all things the watch wanted to know!! ... all ideas welcome

Good stuff. Getting faster will naturally bring your heart rate down at lower speeds (think of the heart as simply another muscle that is being trained).Most programmes have variation of training in them for a whole load of reasons so repeatedly running the same loop probably isn't the best option (but use it as your 'benchmark' to see how things are improving every so often maybe ?). Typical programme would have a steady run (increasing in length if that's what you want to do), hill work, speed work (short, fast bursts with jog/walk recoveries of similar duration), a tempo run and maybe an easy/recovery run depending on how many session you want to do - can substitute cross training for one or more session too. A gradual build up is critical, building base endurance and conditioning.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Brighton Marathon 10k entry is now open for a 'bargain' £25. I'm in, and looking for a pb... :thumbsup:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I seem to have quickly hit a plateau. I'm out running 8-14km about 3 times a week. However I've done a number of 10k races and it's always the same time, around 54-56 minutes. I'd like to go sub-50, which at my age (52) should be achievable, even for a relative beginner.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I seem to have quickly hit a plateau. I'm out running 8-14km about 3 times a week. However I've done a number of 10k races and it's always the same time, around 54-56 minutes. I'd like to go sub-50, which at my age (52) should be achievable, even for a relative beginner.

Are all your training runs done at a similar steady pace?

If so, that will be the reason for your plateau. For at least one, preferably two, of your weekly training runs, try running fast for varying intervals then recover for a few minutes at a very easy pace. For example on an 8k route: 1k easy, .5k fast, 1k easy, 1k fast and repeat 2 times with a steady 1k to finish. Your 'fast' pace should be well outside of your comfort zone in that you wouldn't be able to do any longer than the 500m or 1k intervals even if you wanted to. As a rule of thumb, the 500m will about about 5% faster than your current 5k race pace, and the 1k pace about 3% faster. It doesn't sound much, but the difference is huge.

You can vary the intervals as you get used to it, even doing some shorter ones at an even faster pace. And yes, 50 mins is well within the capabilities of a non-drinking 50 something.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Are all your training runs done at a similar steady pace?

If so, that will be the reason for your plateau. For at least one, preferably two, of your weekly training runs, try running fast for varying intervals then recover for a few minutes at a very easy pace. For example on an 8k route: 1k easy, .5k fast, 1k easy, 1k fast and repeat 2 times with a steady 1k to finish. Your 'fast' pace should be well outside of your comfort zone in that you wouldn't be able to do any longer than the 500m or 1k intervals even if you wanted to. As a rule of thumb, the 500m will about about 5% faster than your current 5k race pace, and the 1k pace about 3% faster. It doesn't sound much, but the difference is huge.

You can vary the intervals as you get used to it, even doing some shorter ones at an even faster pace. And yes, 50 mins is well within the capabilities of a non-drinking 50 something.

Spot on - speedwork is critical to improving times. Everything from very fast repeated 20 second bursts upwards. Would also recommend doing some 5k races as speed sessions to improve 10k time - the free Saturday morning parkruns are excellent for this (not sure where you are located but Hove Park, Preston Park and Clair Park all have them, every Saturday 9am).

PWA

European Tour 2023/24
Jul 23, 2011
West Sussex
Will be running in the ABRaS Mina 10k in Dubai on my honeymoon in a couple of weeks.
7am start as the temperatures are in the 40's at the moment out there.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I entered Barns Green HM this morning – looking forward to it, as I've not done a half (race-wise) for ages.
How did it go...? Anyone else do BG yesterday...?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
How did it go...? Anyone else do BG yesterday...?

Not too bad, thanks. It was boiling hot, and had more hills than I thought. Was hoping to get get under 1:50 - and finished in 1:50:10.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Agree with all the other comments. My marathon training is a mix of long plodding runs for distance and a mix of other shorter high-tempo stuff for speed. Runners World have some excellent plans where you choose the distance, the preferred time and follow the plan. These will have the right balance of distance and tempo runs. You need to be a subscriber to get at most of the plans but they do have some free ones on their website. Take a look and if you cannot find what you want let me, or this thead know, and one of us can dig out what you need.

I see no reason why you cannot take 4-6 minutes off your current time and go sub-50. The key is mixing your training.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Agree with all the other comments. My marathon training is a mix of long plodding runs for distance and a mix of other shorter high-tempo stuff for speed. Runners World have some excellent plans where you choose the distance, the preferred time and follow the plan. These will have the right balance of distance and tempo runs. You need to be a subscriber to get at most of the plans but they do have some free ones on their website. Take a look and if you cannot find what you want let me, or this thead know, and one of us can dig out what you need.

I see no reason why you cannot take 4-6 minutes off your current time and go sub-50. The key is mixing your training.

Thanks HT and all the others for the advice.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

As a crap runner, not one of the experts on here, I would nonetheless entirely echo their sentiments.

My first marathon, I just trained by putting miles in, there were days where I told myself that five miles wasn't enough and it needed to be at least ten to have any value. So I'd trundle round ten miles or so. I did the marathon and I was happy enough just to have done it.

The second time, I went out and did more of the shorter (4-5 miles) runs in the week, but for those runs I tried to push myself and run quicker rather than just plodding along aimlessly.

On marathon day, I found I was able to pace myself much better, I didn't run out of steam early on, and I felt like I was running at a comfortable pace rather than over-stretching myself.

So even though I'm a complete philistine on this subject, I think the others are right, and you should take their advice :thumbsup:

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Not too bad, thanks. It was boiling hot, and had more hills than I thought. Was hoping to get get under 1:50 - and finished in 1:50:10.

Was just in front of you then Greg, I finished in just under 1:47 which I was really pleased with for my first Half Marathon. I thought it was a really good event, beautiful course, plenty of shade to protect from the worst of the heat although it was still warm. Could n't believe that last hill - seemed to last from about mile 8 to mile 11, continual steady climb - in fact I swear about 11 of the 13 miles was uphill!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Thanks HT and all the others for the advice.

As well as all the excellent advice on interval training, upper body strength can also help for speed, you generate quite a bit power from the upper body, so core conditioning, arm and shoulder strengthening has certainly helped me. Finally don't forget core strength is really important to for injury prevention.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
As well as all the excellent advice on interval training, upper body strength can also help for speed, you generate quite a bit power from the upper body, so core conditioning, arm and shoulder strengthening has certainly helped me. Finally don't forget core strength is really important to for injury prevention.

Agreed, saw physio last week about my Achilles and he said the same.

Have just run 7x400m at 4:43 pace with 100m intervals on the treadmill. Once again many many thanks.

Ran my 79th full marathon yesterday, Loch Ness. Long way to run one, however, there is a daily flight from Gatwick to Inverness via Easy Jet & the price is not much more than a train trip to London. Would recommend it, but if you are after a fast time then forget it. Was my hardest road marathon todate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here