Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
As I'm following a training plan for the half marathon I'm entered in March I am once again having to face running during inclement weather, such as today - 15 minutes easy and 5 minutes at 5k pace... am I alone in getting a bit of a kick out of running in the rain?

Definitely not, I've just hit a 5km run in 20:49 during my lunch break. Not my quickest time by nearly a minute, but always good to get out of the office for a spell, have a run and a shower before getting back on it again for the afternoon. I enjoy running the rain, it feels more liberating. My main reason for running is to exercise the demons in my mind, so the rain helps a lot in doing that. When you then return to work to find your main demon sitting at your desk having an "overview" with a colleague, it defeats the point.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Definitely not, I've just hit a 5km run in 20:49 during my lunch break. Not my quickest time by nearly a minute, but always good to get out of the office for a spell, have a run and a shower before getting back on it again for the afternoon. I enjoy running the rain, it feels more liberating. My main reason for running is to exercise the demons in my mind, so the rain helps a lot in doing that. When you then return to work to find your main demon sitting at your desk having an "overview" with a colleague, it defeats the point.

Maybe you would get rid of the demon iif you stopped exercising and tried exorcising? Good running pun, you havemade.:lol:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

I find just getting out of the door is the tricky bit, everything else is actually quite pleasant - particularly the shower and dry clothes at the end, and the pleasant glowing feeling in your legs.

The actual running bit is in some respects easier as you are constantly being cooled!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
As I'm following a training plan for the half marathon I'm entered in March I am once again having to face running during inclement weather, such as today - 15 minutes easy and 5 minutes at 5k pace... am I alone in getting a bit of a kick out of running in the rain?

No, I love it. Keeps you cool, makes you feel a bit hardcore and reduces the number of pedestrians and dog walkers!!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Maybe you would get rid of the demon iif you stopped exercising and tried exorcising? Good running pun, you havemade.:lol:

The exorcism idea isn't a bad one.

I find just getting out of the door is the tricky bit, everything else is actually quite pleasant - particularly the shower and dry clothes at the end, and the pleasant glowing feeling in your legs.

The actual running bit is in some respects easier as you are constantly being cooled!

Yep, once you're on the street it's fine. When the shoes are nicely waterlogged, and they're not able to get any worse, it's actually quite decent.

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
...depending on timing of my son's football, I might try to get over and cheer you guys on, but we're away at Hailsham so will be mostly driving all morning I suspect :-(

Did you make it down to the aid station? I crossed the finish line at 6hrs 39mins. So happy with the time, was hoping for a sub 7hr it being my first one.

Felt like I wasn't going to make it under 7hrs, but stuffed my face at the Burgess hill runners aid station and got a new lease of energy!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Did you make it down to the aid station? I crossed the finish line at 6hrs 39mins. So happy with the time, was hoping for a sub 7hr it being my first one.

Felt like I wasn't going to make it under 7hrs, but stuffed my face at the Burgess hill runners aid station and got a new lease of energy!

Nah, had to be in Hailsham for a 2pm kick off unfortunately. Seen lots of pics on our FB group and we got some great feedback on the station. Well done, good running ! Did you enjoy it ? Have to say I found the route a bit boring last year........well organised, friendly event though. You lucked out with the weather yesterday too !

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
Nah, had to be in Hailsham for a 2pm kick off unfortunately. Seen lots of pics on our FB group and we got some great feedback on the station. Well done, good running ! Did you enjoy it ? Have to say I found the route a bit boring last year........well organised, friendly event though. You lucked out with the weather yesterday too !

I did enjoy it. Liked the first half of the route, but it did get boring towards the end when it became straight for miles on end! Knee really hurts today though, so have the physio booked for Thursday. Bad times

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I did enjoy it. Liked the first half of the route, but it did get boring towards the end when it became straight for miles on end! Knee really hurts today though, so have the physio booked for Thursday. Bad times

Probably just overuse. Regular icing and ibuprofen for 48 hours......sure you'll be fine

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
First half marathon completed today, pretty chuffed with it. Was aiming for 4:30/km pace and that's pretty much exactly what I ran to end up with a chip time of 1:35 on the dot. Strava reports the run as having 175m.

Now need to up the distance in preparation for Brighton!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
First half marathon completed today, pretty chuffed with it. Was aiming for 4:30/km pace and that's pretty much exactly what I ran to end up with a chip time of 1:35 on the dot. Strava reports the run as having 175m.

good time especially as it's your first race. Good work!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Bloody good time, well done. Couple of prep races worth doing pre Brighton if you're local - Worthing 20, Spitfire 20 (Dunsfold Aerodrome) & Cranleigh 21

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

That's impressive first time round. Big question is can you sustain that pace for another 13.1? If you can go under sub 3:20 then that's a great effort.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
That's impressive first time round. Big question is can you sustain that pace for another 13.1? If you can go under sub 3:20 then that's a great effort.

Thanks chaps.

I meant to say it was 175m of elevation, it was the Swindon half, my local one. So thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely try to find some events more local to here as a warm up. I'm looking to do a bit of cross country over the winter, though the distances aren't quite enough for the marathon prep but I guess will help with speed and strength.

I was struggling in the last 5km, and was starting to get over taken rather than overtaking. However, since I failed to slow myself to the 4:30/km pace for the first few, it kind of evened out to the pace I was after overall and the adrenalin got me through.

My 5km pace is under 4:00/km, so I think my endurance is letting me down at the moment and not achieving the times I possibly should as I increase the distances. 3:20 sounds like a decent target to set myself.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks chaps.

I meant to say it was 175m of elevation, it was the Swindon half, my local one. So thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely try to find some events more local to here as a warm up. I'm looking to do a bit of cross country over the winter, though the distances aren't quite enough for the marathon prep but I guess will help with speed and strength.

I was struggling in the last 5km, and was starting to get over taken rather than overtaking. However, since I failed to slow myself to the 4:30/km pace for the first few, it kind of evened out to the pace I was after overall and the adrenalin got me through.

My 5km pace is under 4:00/km, so I think my endurance is letting me down at the moment and not achieving the times I possibly should as I increase the distances. 3:20 sounds like a decent target to set myself.

One thing to remember is this is your first race at 13.1. You now know a lot more about yourself and what the training you did achieved; you know what worked well and what needs improvement etc. with the right training I think 3:20 is a very realistic target.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Thanks chaps.

8 minute miles are roughly 3:30 that sounds pretty realistic as negative splits are incredibly rare. I ran a 1:43 half and followed it up two months later with a 3:55 full so tough going to replicate a half over 26.2.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Well done that's amazing!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Fantastic time! Very well played. I ran my October Half Marathon yesterday evening in 1:51:59, from Bishopstone to Seaford and then back around to Brighton Pier. I ended up running a total of 14.5 miles which I was happy enough with, and it did wonders for my mental state.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here