Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Absolutely PBs are there for the taking but its a no for me. Well maybe it's a no for me. Well I think it's a no.......

LOL....

Ultra community and races very much more friendly and sociable. Less focus on times, splits and all that nonsense. Talk is about food and drink :)

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
Ran Chicago marathon Sunday just gone in a time of 4:06. Really wanted to come in under 4hrs but having ran a 38 mile ultra the week before my legs weren't happy!

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Just done my last training run ahead of the TUI Marathon Palma de Mallorca on Sunday. Forecast says it's going to be 28 degrees @ 9:00 when the race starts! Considering I found Barns Green half a couple of weeks back a bit warm I think I may struggle a bit.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ran Chicago marathon Sunday just gone in a time of 4:06. Really wanted to come in under 4hrs but having ran a 38 mile ultra the week before my legs weren't happy!

Nice one. I'm planning to run this either next year or the year after in my quest to complete the set of majors.

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
Nice one. I'm planning to run this either next year or the year after in my quest to complete the set of majors.

I've got in 2 years in a row now, so you shouldn't have any difficulty getting in. Book the hotel as soon as you get confirmation of entry though, it can be a nightmare trying to find a hotel with a room let alone finding one that's near grant park!

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Great work BA. I've been watching your progress with interest given the cycling/running cross over.

I presume you're still keeping up a reasonable number of cycling miles throughout the marathon training?

I have to admit that I'm not the most self disciplined when it comes to training, and struggle to do as much as I should without organised training sessions. Also, September was a bit of an odd month in that I had a race pretty much every weekend, so the bike leg in the races was pretty much all I was doing (plus a few commuting miles as I have just started to use the bike a bit, but not sure I'll keep it up now the weather has changed).

With it being winter a couple of cycling clubs have started RPM/spinning sessions which are led by a cyclist, so they are focused towards cyclists, they also tend to be a little longer than standard gym spinning sessions.

So I now have the following organised sessions, all in the evening:
Monday - Swimming (1 hour)
Tuesday - Spinning (1 hour)
Wednesday - Running (1 hour - mainly technique, pacing)
Thursday - Spinning (1 hour) following immediately by swimming (1.5 hours)

Saturday - Potentially another swimming session but probably wont do this every week (1 hour). If I can drag myself out of bed I could do parkrun (5km) or go on one of the road club rides, been very slack doing these.

I've signed up to one cycling sportive a month on a Sunday which should be 65 miles and also will do about 1 cross country race a month (8-12km).

So I really do need to become more disciplined and make sure I regularly add additional cycling and (long) runs round the above.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've got in 2 years in a row now, so you shouldn't have any difficulty getting in. Book the hotel as soon as you get confirmation of entry though, it can be a nightmare trying to find a hotel with a room let alone finding one that's near grant park!

Cheers.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Anyone doing the Poppy Half in Bexhill 8th Nov? I'm intending on doing it as my first official half although have a slight issue where it says they're full up as of today - I've emailed begging for a place etc...!

Hoping to go under 2 1/2 hours but to just complete it will be a huge achievement - esp as I've had back and muscle issues this year :)

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I have to admit that I'm not the most self disciplined when it comes to training, and struggle to do as much as I should without organised training sessions. Also, September was a bit of an odd month in that I had a race pretty much every weekend, so the bike leg in the races was pretty much all I was doing (plus a few commuting miles as I have just started to use the bike a bit, but not sure I'll keep it up now the weather has changed).

With it being winter a couple of cycling clubs have started RPM/spinning sessions which are led by a cyclist, so they are focused towards cyclists, they also tend to be a little longer than standard gym spinning sessions.

So I now have the following organised sessions, all in the evening:
Monday - Swimming (1 hour)
Tuesday - Spinning (1 hour)
Wednesday - Running (1 hour - mainly technique, pacing)
Thursday - Spinning (1 hour) following immediately by swimming (1.5 hours)

Saturday - Potentially another swimming session but probably wont do this every week (1 hour). If I can drag myself out of bed I could do parkrun (5km) or go on one of the road club rides, been very slack doing these.

I've signed up to one cycling sportive a month on a Sunday which should be 65 miles and also will do about 1 cross country race a month (8-12km).

So I really do need to become more disciplined and make sure I regularly add additional cycling and (long) runs round the above.

Fair enough. I just can't get myself to start the swimming though - so time inefficient driving to the pool, getting changed, doing some mind numbingly dull for 30-60 minutes, then reverse the whole process!!!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Half of NSC if we don't beat Hudds or Rotherham probably.

Snigger. Just finished my proper training and now have a two week taper before my marathon. It's interesting how nonchalant you feel about a an impending 12 mile Sunday run when it's at the end of a 4 month training program.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Snigger. Just finished my proper training and now have a two week taper before my marathon. It's interesting how nonchalant you feel about a an impending 12 mile Sunday run when it's at the end of a 4 month training programmer.

I feel nonchalant about any 12 mile run; it's the 5K races where I know I'm going to be in pain and blowing out of my arse between 500m and the finish line that I feel dread about!

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I'm doing the Conwy half next month before starting my training schedule for Brighton. I have bought a treadmill for some midweek sessions as last year the weather was so bad I didn't bother going out so just gave up in the end.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I feel nonchalant about any 12 mile run; it's the 5K races where I know I'm going to be in pain and blowing out of my arse between 500m and the finish line that I feel dread about!

That's funny, I'm a lot happier doing 5k since I trained for a half marathon!

Tommy Tradlles

Aug 22, 2014
Chichester
Yes I'm running the Beachy Head marathon on Saturday. I ran it last year in a time of 4 hours and 37 minutes which is just under an hour slower than my road marathon pb. The last seven miles running over the seven sisters was the toughest challenge I've faced. It was the first time I have ever thought that I may not finish. its a great marathon though and you get a lovely meal at the school afterwards. I hope they serve rice pudding again.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm not, but I quite like the sounds of it. I do like a bit of hill running, although I know BH has more than it's fair share. Mince Pie 10 will probably be my next race.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I'm not, but I quite like the sounds of it. I do like a bit of hill running, although I know BH has more than it's fair share. Mince Pie 10 will probably be my next race.

I'm entered into the Mince Pie 10 too. First time I've entered and have heard it's fairly hilly.

Have the Brooks 10k first though in mid November.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here