Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has Murray played his last game for the Albion ?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
3rd red card of the season , will Gus now re-evaluate his stance on Murray ? A side chasing for automatic promotion cannot have liabilities in the squad. Murray is behaving petulantly and needs to be shown the door.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I hope not - still a good player on his day and if we can find that elusive top striker in the summer, I'd be happy with Murray partnering a new forward that will undoubtedly come in the summer. If they could also bring in Barnes as a 3rd striker so we could alternate between him and Murray with the new major signing I'd be pretty happy.

I'm not sure Barnes is quite the big name foward we require to spearhead next season but he's done himself no harm with his goals since coming in and has to be a better option than Holdroyd.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Tony Bloom is making funds available , Gus will bring in a couple of decent strikers to replace Fozzy and Muzza

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Disappointing today. Have to wonder when he will learn? Being paid as a professional should demand professional behaviour.

I posted a while ago that if we got a decent offer for Murray we would sell him and I hold by that view

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
With his disciplinary record do you think there would be any takers ?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Disappointing today. Have to wonder when he will learn? Being paid as a professional should demand professional behaviour.

I posted a while ago that if we got a decent offer for Murray we would sell him and I hold by that view

If Leeds choke again they will make a move for him.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
If Leeds choke again they will make a move for him.

Why will they? If Leeds don't go up they'll be in the shite again financially and as has been said before a player with that sort of discipline issue is going to struggle to go to a decent side.

Suits me really, i'd rather a Murray that's around for 3/4s of a season than not at all.

Feb 14, 2010
Murray misses his whippet, shit weather and a night out in an old mans pub with Telteys bitter. He will be off somewhere like Leeds or Huddersfield. It takes all sorts.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Does a THIRD red card in a season mean a 5 game suspension (as Virgo's was 4 games for his 2nd red card)? I assume these role over to next season so could we be without Murray for the first 3 games of next season? :facepalm:

Edit: I meant Virgo's 2nd RED not YELLOW :dunce:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Does a THIRD red card in a season mean a 5 game suspension (as Virgo's was 4 games for his 2nd yellow card)? I assume these role over to next season so could we be without Murray for the first 3 games of next season? :facepalm:

I think we'll cope somehow, expecting him to be backup to 2 new strikers anyway, and competing for that honour.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
According to Radio Sussex he will miss the first 2 next season as it was a red card for violent conduct but I didnt see what happened to cause the card, could somebody enlighten me.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
According to Radio Sussex he will miss the first 2 next season as it was a red card for violent conduct but I didnt see what happened to cause the card, could somebody enlighten me.

Only the lino saw the incident :ohmy:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
To give a bit more complex analysis (I had commented it was a simplistic 17 points he won us)

murray.jpg

Let's go through each game...

Tranmere
Goal won no points. Sending off came after we were already 2-1 down. From what I recall it was a generally poor performance by the entire team, so no guarantee we would have got a second or third ith him on, so can't say the sending off cost us.

Wycombe
Without doubt his goals affected the result. Without them we'd be out of the cup.

Southampton
Scored the first two, which gave us the lead and enough of an advantage that we didn't need a third. Definitely instrumental in three points.

Wycombe
First started our fight back, second put us in the lead, 3rd and fourth put us beyond reach. Another 3 points his goals won us.

Walsall
Murray's goal started us off, walsall equalised, we needed a goal from Forster for all three. How should we count this? without it, it would be 1-1, so that's 2 points it gave us. However, if we take away the rest of our team's contribution his goal earns us 1 point. If he didn't score, would we have got anything? Since everyone is going to be looking down on him tonight, I will be conservative and say it was one point.

Leyton Orient
1-1 draw, so his goal won us a point

Leeds
1-1 Draw, so his goal won us a point

Brentford
Scored the first, which gave us the lead, which we built on. 3 more.

Tranmere
Scored the first, which gave us the lead, which we built on. 3 more.

With a bit more analysis, his goals have won us 14pts, plus kept us in the FA cup to face non league opponents before heading onto premier league opponents (i.e. got the club some money).

If we had 15 less points and 11 less goals we would be on 40 points, -16 goals, and that would put us third bottom. 5 points from safety (Tranmere would be up a place on their 45 points, along with wycombe who would have the three points glenn won us v them) with 6 points to play for.

I'm sure someone else will put the argument across for what his red cards have cost us.

Do his goals and points give us more than his indiscipline takes away? Does it give us enough more than it takes away? Is it realistic to expect his indiscipline to be such a problem next year? Three reds in one season is incredibly rare, not exactly something we can say with any confidence will happen next year too, is it?

Last edited:

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
I'd just like to know what happened really, no one seems to know...? I was looking completely the other way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here