Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Zonal marking v Man marking at set pieces

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The team let in massive amounts on corners back with CH as well, what was the reason then? Since the players, except for a few of them, never have any responsibility for anything. Obviously zonal marking makes it impossible to jump and head the ball away, so what was the percieved issue back then? "Omgg, our players jump too high and head the ball away too often, got to go over to zonal!!"?

Not sure that was the case after we signed Duffy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I’ve seen this comment about set pieces under Hughton a few times but never seen any evidence to back it up. Not sure it’s correct.

Not sure that was the case after we signed Duffy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At this moment I dont remember where I found the numbers, will have a look when I get in the mood, but I remember clearly that (tbf) the numbers were really good (few conceded, among the best in the league) in 17/18 and very poor (among the worst in the league) in 18/19... what happened between those seasons, no idea.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I’ve seen this comment about set pieces under Hughton a few times but never seen any evidence to back it up. Not sure it’s correct.

It is correct. Despite having a team of giants, we conceded no end of goals from corners and free kicks in our first season in the PL. We sorted it out about two-thirds of the way through that season, by changing the organisation: Duffy was left free to clear headers, the remainder of the players man-marked. That stemmed the flow.

One of the issues we have this season, is that we don't have a team of giants. I do think that Potter and his team are aware of such things and that this is in part behind: signing Welbeck; bringing in Sanchez; and, re-calling Moder.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
At this moment I dont remember where I found the numbers, will have a look when I get in the mood, but I remember clearly that (tbf) the numbers were really good (few conceded, among the best in the league) in 17/18 and very poor (among the worst in the league) in 18/19... what happened between those seasons, no idea.

See ^

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here