Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zola targeting promotion to premier league?!

viscentaye

Jun 26, 2012
Just saw this on SSN - following his appointment at Watford - just how realistic an expectation is this in what is widely as known as a very tough league, plenty of clubs with more cash etc. Not that outlandish a comment if it came from GP, but from Zola re Watford......really?!

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
2 of Wolves, Bolton & Blackburn to bounce straight back up IMO.

Hopefully Seagulls to join them.

Little room for Watford.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Did he say this season or just in general? With their new owners I suspect they'll be a side to watch out for in the future. There's going to be a huge turnover in players.

viscentaye

Jun 26, 2012
Fair point, the headline was general but I didn't catch the interview to hear if he put a timescale on it

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Just saw this on SSN - following his appointment at Watford - just how realistic an expectation is this in what is widely as known as a very tough league, plenty of clubs with more cash etc. Not that outlandish a comment if it came from GP, but from Zola re Watford......really?!

Watford only finished one place below us and ended the season much more strongly (1 defeat in 13 games) than we did. So why not?

viscentaye

Jun 26, 2012
Watford only finished one place below us and ended the season much more strongly (1 defeat in 13 games) than we did. So why not?

Perhaps my bad day at the office has brought out my pessimistic side, I just don't hold Watford in anywhere near the same regard as our club, stats aside. New owners and a new manager don't necessarily guarantee success - good luck to him anyway and hope Pozzo is more communicative than Sullivan was at WHU!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
They have just signed two Czech players ....their owners also run udinese and they have promised them 5 Italian youngsters.

I also see that Nottingham forest have just been bought by some Arab family...who have also said they are putting in millions!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
What would you have him say? "I'm going to do everything in my power, scout the entire world over, work 22 hour days, 7 days a week, 365 days a year in order to maintain our Championship status however I possibly can. We're all in this together, 46 cup finals. Let's do this, Hornet Hornet HO!"

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Perhaps my bad day at the office has brought out my pessimistic side, I just don't hold Watford in anywhere near the same regard as our club, stats aside. New owners and a new manager don't necessarily guarantee success - good luck to him anyway and hope Pozzo is more communicative than Sullivan was at WHU!

The new owners put a statement on the club website when they bought the club saying the target was the Premier League, but that there was no immediate rush to get there and the club would be run sensibly. I suspect Zola is just saying that. They're also going to sort out the East Stand? there which hasn't been in use for some time.

It's certainly not a guarantee of success, particularly as I think with a new manager, a new style of football and new players it may take a little while for everything to click into place. You could have said the same about us though when Bloom came in and a few months later Gus took over.

The two lads they've signed today are good players, there'll be plenty more coming in too. This league just gets stronger and more competitive all the time.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Surely every team in the Championship targets promotion the Premier League, otherwise what would be the point in them playing?

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Heard from a Forest supporting mate of mine tonight. There is word of a 20 million player budget.
I pointed out that it's good news for us that Cotterill is spending it!

viscentaye

Jun 26, 2012
The new owners put a statement on the club website when they bought the club saying the target was the Premier League, but that there was no immediate rush to get there and the club would be run sensibly. I suspect Zola is just saying that. They're also going to sort out the East Stand? there which hasn't been in use for some time.

It's certainly not a guarantee of success, particularly as I think with a new manager, a new style of football and new players it may take a little while for everything to click into place. You could have said the same about us though when Bloom came in and a few months later Gus took over.

The two lads they've signed today are good players, there'll be plenty more coming in too. This league just gets stronger and more competitive all the time.

Agreed - Having only now just seen the interview in full he doesn't come across in the manner in which I assumed when I saw the headline, ie cocky!

Deffo can see the similarity to us when Bloom came in - only time will tell, or in the very short term, 18th September!

viscentaye

Jun 26, 2012
Heard from a Forest supporting mate of mine tonight. There is word of a 20 million player budget.

£££ from a refrigeration business empire I understand!

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
They have just signed two Czech players ....their owners also run udinese and they have promised them 5 Italian youngsters.

I also see that Nottingham forest have just been bought by some Arab family...who have also said they are putting in millions!

In all fairness Carsen Yeung said he would put in millions at Birmingham...he did and then he spent three times as much!

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Lets be honest Zola is going to want to play nice attractive football on the deck so by the time Saracens have played rugby on it in the autumn and winter it will have cut up, this really isn't the job for him.
Someone like Sean Dyche was perfect for Watford. He can get the players fired up and knows how to play a physical game on a terrible pitch.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove

Surely no one would be stupid enough to entrust 20 mill to that footballing bafoon!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Such is the nature of the League that before a ball is kicked I'd imagine there are at least 16 clubs with real belief they cab get promoted

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
This league seems to be getting tougher by the day.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Lets be honest Zola is going to want to play nice attractive football on the deck so by the time Saracens have played rugby on it in the autumn and winter it will have cut up, this really isn't the job for him.
Someone like Sean Dyche was perfect for Watford. He can get the players fired up and knows how to play a physical game on a terrible pitch.

Not borne out by reading though is it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here