Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Zerbi's contract release clause

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes I know - and still don’t think / am pretty sure Potter and RDZ and any of our players don’t have a release clause as this thread has been about? 🤷🏻‍♂️ It’s compensation £s in the contract - not a release clause.
I doubt they do, perhaps it's different for managers I don't know. However, I don't know why you think there would be a compensation clause and what purpose that would serve if it isn't a clause that instigates a release from the contract?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I doubt they do, perhaps it's different for managers I don't know. However, I don't know why you think there would be a compensation clause and what purpose that would serve if it isn't a clause that instigates a release from the contract?
Because the decision still lies with the club - whereas a release clause wouldn’t.

It completely overlooks the employer and takes them out the equation which is very un English football / employment and in particular unBHA!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Because the decision still lies with the club - whereas a release clause wouldn’t.

It completely overlooks the employer and takes them out the equation which is very un English football / employment and in particular unBHA!
So if the compensation clause has no bearing on the club’s decision to release or not, what’s the point of it?

A release clause doesn’t overlook anyone as it’s in the contract both parties sign - if neither likes it don’t include it, don’t sign it.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Technically if Leeds started waving the cheque book around to the tune of 13million and Zerbi decided to go, we couldn't stop him?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
So if the compensation clause has no bearing on the club’s decision to release or not, what’s the point of it?

A release clause doesn’t overlook anyone as it’s in the contract both parties sign - if neither likes it don’t include it, don’t sign it.
My point was I don’t think they do include it?!

Really don’t get your point one - erm to make sure you get financial compensation? I also didn’t say it had ‘no bearing’ it’s a factor and covers the club financially. Jeez. Bad day?

All I’ve said is I don’t think it’s called a ‘release clause’ (which I’m sure is correct) yet you seem to be intent on proving something that’s not there?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Technically if Leeds started waving the cheque book around to the tune of 13million and Zerbi decided to go, we couldn't stop him?
Incorrect as I see it. But if he wanted to the club would probably let him given how we act. Ps his names De Zerbi 😉

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
What people need to consider is that Brighton & Hove Albion is a perfect platform for a coach.
No ridiculous levels of expectation, although they are rising with the fan base, a good crop of younger players looking to push on, a decent first team and very importantly, a lack of ‘deadwood’ hanging around the club draining finances and squad spirit. Note Man Utd who are doing much better this season but have players like Phil jones, Maguire etc all earning £100k per week. Need to offload before they buy big.
Roberto is onto a good thing.
If a club came in for him and he wanted out, a number of excellent, ambitious coaches would be interested in the job, and we’d be £13m the richer. ( not that I want him to go of course).

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I’m not sure, I just think compensation and release clause are two very different things as such. I’m sure the club and English clubs in general rarely do ‘release clauses’ it’s more a Spanish etc thing with contracts also. I think the club have said before they just don’t do them as it takes a lot of decisions out of their hands and is pretty silly imo. You’ve only got to look at the 2 articles @Hiheidi posted - the Mail (probably lazily) referring to it as a release clause - The Times, compensation.
A release clause is required under Spanish law. It effectively allows a player to buy out his contract and is then free to move to another club. In reality most players can’t afford the release clause so the buying club pay it once everything has been agreed.

Of course players can and do move from Spanish clubs for less than the release clause. We tried to get Cucurella for less as our first bid was under his release fee.

Last edited:

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
If a club came in for him and he wanted out, a number of excellent, ambitious coaches would be interested in the job, and we’d be £13m the richer. ( not that I want him to go of course).

* 13m Euros plus money in addition for his back room staff. If our last ones were a million release then we can probably expect similar for our current ones. So factor that in and it wouldn’t be far from the fee we got from Chelsea.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My point was I don’t think they do include it?!

Really don’t get your point one - erm to make sure you get financial compensation? I also didn’t say it had ‘no bearing’ it’s a factor and covers the club financially. Jeez. Bad day?

All I’ve said is I don’t think it’s called a ‘release clause’ (which I’m sure is correct) yet you seem to be intent on proving something that’s not there?
No, quite a good day so far, just quite happy to discuss contract stuff, football related or generically, so probably sad rather than bad.

The point I was making was your suggestion there is some kind of compensation clause (not necessarily in a BHAFC contract but as you describe) that has no obligation attached to it as this would be meaningless as a club is already protected financially by being able to hold the person to their contract and only agree to break it on terms they agree to - the financial protection is already there.

People think contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on in football, but of course they are rock solid and that is why if you chose to, regardless of the money offered to break it, you can say no, or alternatively take £62m for a player you paid £16m for 10 months earlier - that is the power of contract law.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here