Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zamora safe at West Ham... For now...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
That, Easy, is the best post you have ever written.

Apart from the ones wiv swearing in coz i like them the bestest.
f*** it, I knew I'd missed something out. :lolol:
Cheers Chappers.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
BrightonFoxDave: sorry, I'm with the 'Leicester cheated' brigade. The mortgage analogy works to a point but there is a difference between individuals and corporations (also most individuals don't get to live in their houses once they've been re-possessed) And the scale! It's like saying bombing Iraq is the same as stopping an individual school bully.

However most of us don't hate Leicester, in fact we want them to do well and wish them all the best. I'm sure you know the reason - Micky Adams will still be a legend at Brighton when the sums involved in Leicester's liquidation are dished out as children's pocket money.

Last edited:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I honestly believe that Zamora will have a good season for West Ham, up front along side Harewood they will do very well.

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
But Footymad speculate another destination for Bobby:

"Leicester are keen to sign David Connolly as a replacement for Paul Dickov and the Hammers would listen to offers for Bobby Zamora. Could he yet end up back at Brighton where fans have been told not to panic by manager Mark McGhee."

I think that's bollocks myself.

BrightonFoxDave

Jul 27, 2003
Southwick
Yorkie - yeah, 17/18 k a week is the figure mentioned for Benji's wages.

Oops, I said Benjamin £5m, that was Akinbiyi. Another quality signing.

Easy / Brovian - I can't argue that Leicester had (and in a few cases still have) highly paid players. They were paid far too much for what they did and who they were playing for, no doubt about that. Overrated players were signed for stupid money and stupid wages - Selling Heskey for 11m probably didn't help! Leicester then thought they were rich and spending 5m on Akinbiyi suddenly seems OK to them as it's less than half the cash, apart from he's not fit to lace Heskeys boots.

The thing is though, you have a selection of pretty average players earning the best part of 20 grand a week and you're struggling for cash when ITV Digital go bust, how on earth do you get rid? You can't. The player ain't gonna go somewhere else for a 50 - 75% wage cut, you're going to lose millions on the transfer fee and hundreds of thousands on wages whilst trying to find buyers. Not a pleasant situation from a fans perspective!

I'm for the ten point penalty to be honest, If it had been in place sooner, then maybe people would have thought twice at Leicester and not got us in to that situation in the first place, cos I would much rather them not have gone in to administration, where it is down to someone from outside the club to do what they see fit with the assets at hand (stadium, players etc.) and to broker the bet deal they can FOR THE CREDITORS. Anything could have happened at that point. Unless Leicester got a tame administrator in? As I understand it, Leeds went in to Administration for half an hour, so they could be taken over, is that more contrived than the Leicester situation? Then again, they only got relegated, not promoted. Bradford were only 35 or whatever million in debt, they didn't get promoted to the premiership either, but since Leicester got promoted, only Leicester are deemed to be cheats. That's the part that gets my back up. I feel for the Leeds fans and the Bradford fans (and all the others). I feel for the Brighton fans over the stadium, as well as being a Leiceter supporter I would call myself a football supporter. It's the fans that count.

I've just had a look at the table from that season to refresh my memory and Leicester finished 12 points clear of third place. Should I now have a clear conscience as even a ten point penalty would see us exactly in the position we are in right now? Maybe they said ten points because Leicester were clear by 12, or maybe not.

As it stands, coming out of administration, the "new" club was saddled with players it could not get rid of, yes it got promoted and yes, I was there that day (against you lot as it happens) and yes I was pleased (not cos it was against you lot tho), but then when thinking about the next season, it was obvious that the club could not pay a fee for anyone and the odds on coming straight back own again were pretty high. Savage and Rowett had gone, Guppy and even Lennon hadn't been really replaced, Izzetts now gone (we couldn't afford to offer him a new contract), so ends the last part of what was once the best midfield in England (according to OPTA anyway).

Do we blame the PLC? I don't like football PLC's. Short term gain, long term pain as far as I can see. For me the best thing about Leicester going in to administation is that the club is no longer a PLC and no-one can own more that 5% of it. Yes, better than promotion to the Premiership. Leicester were accused of cheating by people in the media, which is where most football fans got their "facts" from to be honest. Leicester's supporters trust is the largest in the country, maybe cos at the time it was associated with the club with the biggest debt going in to administration in the country. Supporters trusts are a good thing as far as I can see. get the fans more involved, chuck the greedy board members, sod the PLC's etc.

Brovian - thanks for admitting to liking Leicester (even if only for Mickeys sake!) I undertand that. I'll wish Izzett the best at Birmingham and wherever else he may go for similar reasons. And don't even get me started on Martin O'Neill.

God, that's enough of that. This could go on all day but it's your board, not mine! I'll not post any more huge rambles on this subject, there's no point as I couldn't think of much more to say!

As I say, I hope you don't end up with Benjamin, I'd see him go tomorrow, but to someone else!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
LecesterDave - Obviously it wasn't just Leicester who 'cheated', in fact compared to Bradford City they were positive angels. I think, as you say, it's time to draw a line under it and move on. Hopefully football is heading for saner times, but then when the winners of the second tier of English football will be given the Ruritanian title of 'Champions of the Championship' perhaps it isn't!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here