Zamora safe at West Ham... For now...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Leicester City have agreed a fee of £500,000 with West Ham for Republic of Ireland striker David Connolly.

Connolly, 27, will visit the Walkers Stadium this week to discuss personal terms and undergo a medical.

"Moving for a player like this shows that those who may have written us off in the transfer stakes should think again," said Foxes' boss Micky Adams.

Connolly scored 14 goals for the Hammers last season after joining for £285,000 from Milton Keynes a year ago.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Glad to see a team virtually bankrupt and just out of administration has gor 500k to throw around on players while well run clubs scratch around for freebies.

Leicester, and Adams, make me very angry.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Didn't Leicester get a nice big pay-off from the Premier League? They're probably using that cash to buy players.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
They also budgeted to finish bottom (which they didn't) and that meant another million pounds which was apparently passed straight to Adams.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
clapham_gull said:
They also budgeted to finish bottom (which they didn't) and that meant another million pounds which was apparently passed straight to Adams.

Not to one of the many companies they shafted when going into administration then.

They are the only club I would like to see go out of business.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Timbo said:
Glad to see a team virtually bankrupt and just out of administration has got 500k to throw around on players while well run clubs scratch around for freebies.

I thought Brighton were deep in debt?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It is usual for clubs coming down from The Premiership to spend the money that they accumalated through failure to buy players to get promoted again. Hence a lot of them go straight back up and become yo yo clubs.

I think Connolly is at his level 1st Div, he will never make it in The Premiership.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
The Laughing Bluebird said:
I thought Brighton were deep in debt?

IF we are deep in debt, it's not entirely our own doing. Leicester chose to spend money they knew they hadn't got on a stadium and then wrote all that debt off while conveniently winning division 1. A little while down the line they're buying David Connelly for 500k. I wasn't necessarily pointing out our case, but more so clubs such as Crewe and Rotherham.

est.83

Dec 6, 2003
Estonia
OT but Leicester played yesterday a game down here in Estonia against Estonian Meistriliiga leaders Fc Levadia (not Lavadia as Leicesters site is saying :lolol: ). They won 3-2 (goals form Dion Dublin (2) and Thomas Wright). Leicester didn`t look too sharp and strong, but good finishing from Dublin made the difference...

PS. Benjamin played on 2nd half only, nothing special... one or two good moves though. Leicester played better in the 2nd half, but then they faced Levadias reserves (and you may only imagine how weak they can be...).

Good game, nice to see another British team playing against Estonian opposition. Hope that one day almighty Super Seagulls find their way down here... :) (Dick Tight do something!! :jester:)

BrightonFoxDave

Jul 27, 2003
Southwick
Timbo said:
IF we are deep in debt, it's not entirely our own doing. Leicester chose to spend money they knew they hadn't got on a stadium and then wrote all that debt off while conveniently winning division 1. A little while down the line they're buying David Connelly for 500k. I wasn't necessarily pointing out our case, but more so clubs such as Crewe and Rotherham.

Do you have a mortgage Timbo? If so, how could you spend money you have not got? Ah yes, cos you arranged a loan, just like I have and just like Leicester did for the stadium.

Check out a list of our high profile signings for last seasons Premiership campaign. Frees weren't they? Check out the list of players sold in the last couple of years or released cos the club can't afford to pay them. I wouldn't say Leicester budgeted to finish bottom, they just had no budget.

I can't say no-one at LCFC was to blame though. You could look at Peter Failure who thought Trevor Benjamin was worth 5 million and put him on about 18 grand a week. You could point the finger at the board who sanctioned such stupidity.

However, the reason Leicester went in to administration was because they were going to be put out of business by Eric Hall, all round nice guy and agent to that little **** Dennis Wise. You may remember Wise broke the jaw of one of his team mates (who was asleep at the time) and then was not pleased when Leicester terminated his contract. You try breaking the jaw of someone you work with and see how you get on.

The club I support was a week from going out of business. I sincerely hope that the club you support does not ever get that near. Nor any other club for that matter. Of course, you are only bothered about the creditors who Leicester "shafted". Well, Leicester going out of business would have seen most of those creditors getting nothing at all.

So why hate Leicester so much? How about Leeds (bigger debt) How about Ipswich Town (less pence in the pound paid to creditors). Presumably you'd hate Leeds more if they were still in the Premiership?

Pedantic correction, Leicester finished 2nd.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
BrightonFoxDave said:
Do you have a mortgage Timbo? If so, how could you spend money you have not got? Ah yes, cos you arranged a loan, just like I have and just like Leicester did for the stadium.
Thats stretching the truth of the matter somewhat.
Leicester hardly "arranged a loan" for their new stadium did they ? They went ahead and got the thing built whilst still royally pissing money around on players and contracts, then they got relegated, ITV Digital went tits up, and so got their debts effectively written off while they pay something like 8p in the pound towards them.

Try and buy a house the Leicester City way, and I don't think you'd be living there very long.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
When I arranged a mortgage, I made sure I could afford the repayments. I wouldn't expect any club to build a new ground out of their own money, of course they need to borrow. It just strikes me that they were smilingly dishing out contracts for work to be carried out, knowing the contractors were going to see very little of the money.

I have a very good friend who's a Leicester fan (though he probably wouldn't be if he read this!) and he uses this argument about Wise closing the club down. Surely he would not be entitled to enough money that would have affected the club that much.

I'm convinced Leicester will this season gain promotion and then establish themselves as a Premiership team in the same way Birmingham and Charlton have. I'm also convinced Leicester would not have gone out of business. Ways out of these things are constantly found.

I have more sympathy with Leeds as you can pin that on a couple of very stupid people who are no longer with the club, the same as the Albion. To the best of my knowledge, many of the old Leicester board are still with the club.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The further down the pecking order that Benji goes the better our (slim) chances of signing him are.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hopefully low enough that we won't want him. He came from the Richie Barker and Tony Rougier school of balancing - spent most of his time lying on the ground.

BrightonFoxDave

Jul 27, 2003
Southwick
At the time, the club could afford the repayments on the stadium, but as was said above, ITV Digital crashed, hence depriving the club of a major revenue stream. Of course, there's also the fact that stupid wages were paid, etc. As it stands now, Leicester don't own the ground any more, the American company Teachers, who the loan was taken from, now own it and lease it back to the "new" Leicester City. Yes it was a loan, just a bigger one than most peoples houses. Now someone else owns the stadium, it has been in effect repossessed, just like my house would be if I didn't pay the mortgage. I stand by my analogy.

Hall / Wise were after 1 - 2 million, which was the amount that the poisoned little dwarf would have been payed for farting about doing bugger all for Leicester for the rest of his contract. Just another old has been big name player living out the end of a career on big wages at a club stupid enough to pay them. The club was well known to be in debt (like a lot of other clubs) but unless someone actually calls in that debt, the debt stands. Hall tried to get the money, which would have finished the club. A I understand it, the debts were about 30m for the stadium, over god knows how many years, there was a 13m loan from ntl payable back over 5 years and 6m owed to the taxman. That adds up to the 50m often quoted as Leiceters debt.

You'll find that Leicester actually paid more money to their creditors for getting promoted than they would have if they had stayed where they were.

Anyway, all that aside, I would not wish Benjamin on Brighton, even with your Leicester hating fan(s)! He's crap, he falls over more than Heskey, he can't shoot straight, in fact he's called Clarence by most leicester fans (after the cross eyed lion). Don't go there, you can do better than him!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
A Leicester fan on the Seagulls message board told us Benjamin was on 17K a week.

Is that right?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
BrightonFoxDave said:
You'll find that Leicester actually paid more money to their creditors for getting promoted than they would have if they had stayed where they were
AND SO THEY BLOODY SHOULD !! Once they were wallowing in the Premiership cash cow once again, why the hell shouldn't they damn well up their payments to the creditors they shafted ?

When Leicester were relegated in 2002, they largely retained that expensively assembled Premiership squad for the campaign in Division One. Not surprisingly, as a result, that Premiership squad went straight back up, at the expense of the clubs who had assembled their squads more in line with their means. Amongst others, Leicester took 6 points off us that season - and we went down. There was a clear gulf in class between the Albions squad, and Leicesters.

Like most clubs, we'd have loved to have had the likes of Izzett, Deane, Dickov, Elliott etc etc to see us through a season. But we couldn't afford them. Nor could Leicester, but it didn't stop them signing them, retaining them, and going back up with them.
And there's the rub. No matter how you dress this up as some kind of "hard luck" story on Leicester, it isn't. The message is - sign who you want, offer contracts you can't afford, and if it all goes tits up then just go into administration and your worries are over.

Thats why the FL have introduced this 10 point penalty - because Leicester took the easy way out and came up smelling of roses at everyone elses expense, and that sucks. Its a loophole that needed addressing, and at least this 10 point deduction for going into adminstration will partially address it. Leicester will hopefully be the last club ever to benefit so outrageously from going into administration.

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Easy 10 said:
AND SO THEY BLOODY SHOULD !! Once they were wallowing in the Premiership cash cow once again, why the hell shouldn't they damn well up their payments to the creditors they shafted ?

When Leicester were relegated in 2002, they largely retained that expensively assembled Premiership squad for the campaign in Division One. Not surprisingly, as a result, that Premiership squad went straight back up, at the expense of the clubs who had assembled their squads more in line with their means. Amongst others, Leicester took 6 points off us that season - and we went down. There was a clear gulf in class between the Albions squad, and Leicesters.

Like most clubs, we'd have loved to have had the likes of Izzett, Deane, Dickov, Elliott etc etc to see us through a season. But we couldn't afford them. Nor could Leicester, but it didn't stop them signing them, retaining them, and going back up with them.
And there's the rub. No matter how you dress this up as some kind of "hard luck" story on Leicester, it isn't. The message is - sign who you want, offer contracts you can't afford, and if it all goes tits up then just go into administration and your worries are over.

Thats why the FL have introduced this 10 point penalty - because Leicester took the easy way out and came up smelling of roses at everyone elses expense, and that sucks. Its a loophole that needed addressing, and at least this 10 point deduction for going into adminstration will partially address it. Leicester will hopefully be the last club ever to benefit so outrageously from going into administration.

That, Easy, is the best post you have ever written.

Apart from the ones wiv swearing in coz i like them the bestest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports