Zamora - it is time!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Someone told me today Carlton Cole is on the radar this fella who mentioned it has no bha interest either.

Wouldn't surprise me tbh. His contract with West Ham ends in June and can't see them offering him a new one, so will be available on a free. Strong player that's good at holding the ball up, but isn't the goal scorer we so drastically need.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I'd have him.

...and by the looks of your classic photo, he'd have you too.

Memories, memories...

#originalclique

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
My dog is called Bobby Zamora and he met Bobby when he was a puppy - so he's all in favour of him coming back!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's a 'no' from me. His best days are over. He has also said, I believe, that he is not greatly in love with football, so after ten (?) or so years of being on Premier League wages, he probably doesn't need another contract anyway, and may not even want one.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Utter nonsense. Plenty of players go back to former clubs and do well.

Depends how long they are away for in the first place. Yes if it's only a season or so, a mistaken move. But no if it's an old warhorse returning to the scene of the start of his career when he was young and fit. Zamora ain't either now.

This thread prompted by one (televised) flash of his former talents. How many goals like that are still in those legs?

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
It makes me laugh when people comment on Premier League goal tallies when considering whether a player will do well in this league. There is a massive difference between Premier League and the Championship.

Jermain Defoe has only scored 2 goals since Sunderland signed him.

Ulloa had an amazing start but hasn't scored for ages.

Darren Bent scored 3 Premier League goals for Fulham last season.

Cameron Jerome and Kenweyne Jones scored hardly any in the Premier League.

I could list more.

Besides, anyone who knows about Zamora these days knows he's about so much more than just goals. I think he'd do far better than O'Grady in bringing others into play and he'd also manage more goals than O'Grady in the League (one penalty so far!)

Of course Zamora didn't score many goals last time he played in this League with QPR, but the point still stands.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Considering we are looking to bring in a minimum of three forwards this summer, I would not have a problem with Zamora being one of them. I wouldn't have him as the player we are hanging our season on though. If he did come here I think he would do so because he wants to see his career out where he was in all probability the happiest.

He is still a strong player, can hold the ball up well as others have said, he does also still possess a very good finish. When Bobby does score, they seem to be fairly decent goals.

Against championship defences, in particular the poor and middling ones I think he still has something to offer. Any deal would have to be for bargain wages though. There is something naively romantic about Bobby coming to Brighton to see us promoted and ending his career with his legendary status completely cemented.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Considering we are looking to bring in a minimum of three forwards this summer, I would not have a problem with Zamora being one of them. I wouldn't have him as the player we are hanging our season on though. If he did come here I think he would do so because he wants to see his career out where he was in all probability the happiest.

He is still a strong player, can hold the ball up well as others have said, he does also still possess a very good finish. When Bobby does score, they seem to be fairly decent goals.

Against championship defences, in particular the poor and middling ones I think he still has something to offer. Any deal would have to be for bargain wages though. There is something naively romantic about Bobby coming to Brighton to see us promoted and ending his career with his legendary status completely cemented.

Is Tony Bloom a "romantic"? I don't think so. Barber certainly ain't.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I'd rather remember the romantic seasons when he was scoring for fun. If he came back there would be fans with unrealistic expectations and I couldn't bear to hear him being slated.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Is Tony Bloom a "romantic"? I don't think so. Barber certainly ain't.

It would have to be football decision. I certainly do not see Zamora as the man to save us by any means, but at this level he could prove to be a valuable piece of the puzzle. I would not want Bloom making sentimental decisions when it comes to transfers. The wishful thinking (and my post was definitely that) should be left to the likes of me.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Yeah course, why end your career on a beach somewhere in the Middle East or Australia picking up a fat wage when you can come and play with this dross for a pittance and make your once-adoring fans turn on you.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It's a 'no' from me. His best days are over. He has also said, I believe, that he is not greatly in love with football, so after ten (?) or so years of being on Premier League wages, he probably doesn't need another contract anyway, and may not even want one.
Ah, the myth about BZ not liking football.

He didn't say that.

He said he had little interest in watching it on TV. He said nothing about not liking to play.

westy

Jul 25, 2003
Anyone who says he's past his best is prob the same kind of person who said Upson would be a waste of time when we signed him. Theres a HUGE gulf between the Premier League and the Championship. Considering Bobby has had an effective 10 years in the Premier League im 100% sure he would find scoring against the likes of Millwall, Bournemouth, Rotherham etc a piece of cake. Id take him on a 2 yr deal in a heartbeat - for footballing reasons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports