Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zamora and Barton among six released by QPR

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Bennett...now Zamora.

Why would anyone with a modicum of reason or intelligence blow a hunk of our playing budget on two injury ravaged, fading footballers who will no doubt spend more time on the physio table than the pitch?

Furthermore, during his recent loan spell, Bennett looked a pale imitation of the livewire who played for the Albion in League 1.

Many thanks for the great service they gave the Albion, but we don't owe either a season-long testimonial.

Zamora took part in 31 (19 starts, 12 sub) of 38 league games this season, hardly an injury ravaged season, in fact one of his best fitness wise for quite a few seasons. Not suggesting we sign him although I do think he's still got something to offer a club at our level. I wouldn't be surprised to see him hang the boots up though now. He's mentioned before he isn't a huge football fan so I can't see him being too willing to drop down the divisions just to keep playing.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
One of those goals being the one which got QPR promoted. Would also be interested to see how much game time he has had to get those goals.

Of course. the £100m goal !
And its only 50 odd appearances/starts/subs due to his injuries but nobody would argue that he's still a prolific goalscorer. Which is presumably why he's being released.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Zamora took part in 31 (19 starts, 12 sub) of 38 league games this season, hardly an injury ravaged season, in fact one of his best fitness wise for quite a few seasons. Not suggesting we sign him although I do think he's still got something to offer a club at our level. I wouldn't be surprised to see him hang the boots up though now. He's mentioned before he isn't a huge football fan so I can't see him being too willing to drop down the divisions just to keep playing.

His career has been plagued by injury - he's suffered serious setbacks at West Ham, Fulham and QPR. Let alone the injuries which denied him appearances for both England and Trinidad.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Bennett...now Zamora.

Why would anyone with a modicum of reason or intelligence blow a hunk of our playing budget on two injury ravaged, fading footballers who will no doubt spend more time on the physio table than the pitch?

Furthermore, during his recent loan spell, Bennett looked a pale imitation of the livewire who played for the Albion in League 1.

Many thanks for the great service they gave the Albion, but we don't owe either a season-long testimonial.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Barton? ... I lost all respect for him after his display at Manc City on the last day of the season 2011 . He would bring this club into disrepute.
Zamora? Has quality but it's no good if he is never fit. We cannot afford a highly paid passenger

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
If the club could get Zamora and he wanted to come, providing he was not our only signing it would be a massive step to put some good feeling and optimism back at the club after a dismal season. Just having some excitement and a bit of a buzz back about the club might perk up the new and current players as well. Anyone who watches football will know that he will not be the Bobby of old, but when fit his hold up play and eye for goal could be what we need.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
If the club could get Zamora and he wanted to come, providing he was not our only signing it would be a massive step to put some good feeling and optimism back at the club after a dismal season. Just having some excitement and a bit of a buzz back about the club might perk up the new and current players as well. Anyone who watches football will know that he will not be the Bobby of old, but when fit his hold up play and eye for goal could be what we need.

Exactly class doesn't leave you. Never a quick player but knows his craft inside out, good signing for me.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Imagine the binfest on here if we signed Joey Barton. People used to think of Barnes as marmite. Barton would take it to a whole new level.
You think some people would love Barton?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Barton's delivery from set-pieces is very good, however there are other areas of the pitch we need to spend our dough on first.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Fair point, but I'd say judging by last seasons effort, Zamora is easily better than our current striking options.

Crikey I think I might be better than most of them!

I wouldn't disagree but signing a 34 yr old on top dollar with a poor injury record to play in a 46 game league would be a mistake IMO. He would be excellent to have around the place on minimal wages and to bring off the bench, but as a starter on the probably considerable wages that he would want I think it would be the wrong move..

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Barton= nobby Hortons lovechild
yep whats not to like

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Joey Barton was too slow two years ago.

Is Clint Hill going to sign new terms?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Can we please start building a talented younger squad who have pace....Enough of the has been players and enough of the obsession with ex players
We need to build a proper unit to progress and wasting money on players looking for silly wages while crocked most of the time is going down the wrong route again.
It's time our scouts earned their crust for once and focus should be on younger players with very good potential and if that means 6 young players costing 1 million each then so be it as they'll hopefully be an asset to the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here