Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Zaha rejects £120k a week contract

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
not sure which is more bonkers, a deal of that size or that there's interest from PSG.

footballing world is going mad.
Ofcourse there is interest from PSG it’s contact renewal time, his agent has got to earn that money. Sure his agent has spoken to someone at PSG at some stage in the last 5 years and that means interest in agent world

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
If they have any sense they will get shot of him for as much as they can get, which will probably be for more than he is worth.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
0 goals and 0 assists in the last 6 months :tears2:
This is why it feels so desperate. No goals or assists since November last year. Suffering with injuries. Will be 31 shortly into next season. Yep, a 4 year £200k pw contract sounds reasonable! If he signs that then he's 100% there for the duration of it, nobody will be looking to sign him from them, and they'll have a 34 year old Wilfried taking £200k off them every week while he chips in with 2 goals a season.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
but wants assurances over the club’s ambition to qualify for European competition before signing.

Well that's certainly cheered me up after yesterday. The club may have ambition to qualify but they have a virtually zero chance if achieving that anytime soon.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was just about to call :shit:but, it seems

Crystal Palace offer Wilfried Zaha record contract amid interest from top clubs​

• Forward offered four-year deal worth about £200,000 a week
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ied-zaha-record-contract-interest-arsenal-psg

:lolol:
A total outlay of £42 million. Over 4 years.

Could they not sign a young starlet striker for £20 mill and pay him £100K a week?

I would.

If my scouting network extended a bit further south than Coulsdon and a bit further north than Camberwell.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There was a time when re-signing Zaha to a new deal was likely to lead to them finishing above us.

However, the tables have turned and now I would argue if he signs this proposed deal it will keep them below us for a few more years yet.

I'd be worried if I was a Palace fan. Hodgson is papering over the cracks and they need to sell Zaha to strengthen elsewhere. Yet 31 year old Ayew has signed a new deal and now this.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
but wants assurances over the club’s ambition to qualify for European competition before signing.

Well that's certainly cheered me up after yesterday. The club may have ambition to qualify but they have a virtually zero chance if achieving that anytime soon.
He wants them to qualify for Europe, but taking £200k off their weekly budget practically ensures that they can't.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
There was a time when re-signing Zaha to a new deal was likely to lead to them finishing above us.

However, the tables have turned and now I would argue if he signs this proposed deal it will keep them below us for a few more years yet.

I'd be worried if I was a Palace fan. Hodgson is papering over the cracks and they need to sell Zaha to strengthen elsewhere. Yet 31 year old Ayew has signed a new deal and now this.

I think that opportunity is long gone :lolol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Thanks Palace, after yesterday I needed a laugh

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I can't work out Beaky's reasoning for this. Does he think a Dibley free squad will reduce the quality and number of managerial applicants? If he does, he's wrong. The football world knows their squad is too thin, so the money would be spent better on four new players. Strange pair.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I thought he was out of contract?
He is.

I so hope he signs that deal if that really is on the table. He can certainly still do a job for them, but he's on the inevitable decline and that's going to be taking up the budget of 3 alternative first-team players.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Wants assurances of European football, but his chairman has today said this in a BBC article...

"We've got six, now probably seven, teams [in England] where the amount of capital they have is either unlimited or is enormous compared to us, and qualifying for European football is almost impossible"

LOL.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm struggling to believe this. Has it been confirmed by anyone at Palace or is it all still paper talk?

They've just shown an ability to win without him with Eze stepping up (and I think Olise did, too?). Now is not the time they would be looking to desperately cling on to him with such wages. If anything now is the time they can low ball him. They don't need him any more.

I'd be more inclined to believe his team are spreading this to try to get better offers elsewhere.

Though, having written all that, I'm now thinking... Unless they are resigned to losing Eze in the summer. They just found the new star to carry them forward and they realise he is looking to leave at the first opportunity and won't stick around like Zaha did, making them panic and cling to Zaha

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here