Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Zaha: On a scale of 1-10 I hate Brighton 11...

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It is all pantomime stuff really, though you do get real needle sometimes - eg Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher in playing days, ironic now they get on so well in the Sky studio.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not true, local players, which Zaha is, come out with fan like comments. I seem to remember Ian Chapman being pretty disparaging about Palace back in the day. Of course most of our players won’t feel like fans for this game but I imagine Dunk and Solly might.

I like players feeling the rivalry personally.

Well I don't really buy it. Players are in a bubble, I very much doubt even Dunk or Solly are going back to the dressing room at half time or full time hoping to hear that Palace have got slapped again. They're not from the terraces, they're not from the stands, they don't "live" the rivalry as fans do.

They'll say the right things and pay lip service to it all to add to the hype. They'll want to win this one for the fans, but that's exactly it - its for the fans, not for them. Someone compared it to the bobbins that boxers come out with pre-fight, and its a good comparison. They'll come out with all kinds of tedious claptrap to hype things up, pretending to "hate" each other...and lo and behold, after the fight they're draped all over each other giving it the love.

Its a phony war. Players KNOW about the rivalry. Fans FEEL it.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Well I don't really buy it. Players are in a bubble, I very much doubt even Dunk or Solly are going back to the dressing room at half time or full time hoping to hear that Palace have got slapped again. They're not from the terraces, they're not from the stands, they don't "live" the rivalry as fans do.

They'll say the right things and pay lip service to it all to add to the hype. They'll want to win this one for the fans, but that's exactly it - its for the fans, not for them. Someone compared it to the bobbins that boxers come out with pre-fight, and its a good comparison. They'll come out with all kinds of tedious claptrap to hype things up, pretending to "hate" each other...and lo and behold, after the fight they're draped all over each other giving it the love.

Its a phony war. Players KNOW about the rivalry. Fans FEEL it.

Wasn't Dunk saying the other week about how he used to come home to find his Dad singing Albion songs over the dinner table? He must get it.

Of course it's all a phony war, it's a game of football, it's not actual war. That doesn't make it any less real. The Amex will be way more intense tonight than it is for any other game, and the players will feel that, of course they will. They'll love it.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Am I the only one to think this fake rivalry is embarassing? I wonder what fans of other clubs think of both teams.

a) I'm assuming you're one of our new fans
b) Why would you care, if you're a Brighton fan?

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Assuming you remember it how bothered were you by Gerry Ryan’s leg being broken by Henry Hughton?

I was at the game, and it was a terrible tackle by Chris's brother.
But to actually wish a opposition player to end his career before the game ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Did you cheer as he was stretchered off, on his way to weeks in traction, his career in ruins? I was there too, and you were in a small minority of Palace fans if you didn't. Horrenduous night, that.

I think people forget just HOW bad that tackle was. There was genuine talk of a lawsuit.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

‘By Chris’ brother’ :wanker:

I hope you’re proud of the always ultras again today :lol: No doubt they’ll be giving the mouth then running like the videos at Man Utd & Spurs again :ffsparr:

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Playing to the audience and making himself look a bit silly. And he obviously missed the maths class or is very stupid, or both

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Did you cheer as he was stretchered off, on his way to weeks in traction, his career in ruins? I was there too, and you were in a small minority of Palace fans if you didn't. Horrenduous night, that.

I think people forget just HOW bad that tackle was. There was genuine talk of a lawsuit.

So you would want the same thing to happen to Zaha ?

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly

It is a common kick back from the mongs on BBS.

Badge of honour from them.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Exactly, the reaction of the Palace fans was almost as shocking as the tackle. ****s

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

He hasn’t said that - and I’m sure it was said in jest. No right minded football supporter would want that.

Just a ligament while running will do.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Am I the only one to think this fake rivalry is embarassing? I wonder what fans of other clubs think of both teams.

You are the only one who is an idiot.

What is embarrassing, is the way you spell embarrassing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
cpfc-1-1-brighton-newspaper-2-1985.jpg

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Certainly not...but a 1st-minute minor muscle injury that would keep him out for a month? Ok, then. :wink:

And count me in as one of those who will be booing Zaha throughout, but also knows he can hurt us tonight. Like the play-off semi-final, virtually his first good game of the year at that time.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
I reckon Hughton has demanded a bit more restraint from the players when it comes to commenting on the rivalry, they know all about this I'm sure and they've all been caught up on the importance, but this is just another game, and a game that they are looking to win.

Of course, the players aren't going to break rank when they have a psychopath on the loose. I wouldn't be surprised if Chris comes running onto the pitch and starts stamping on Zaha if he dives in the penalty box tonight.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

No, of course I wouldn't. The only players I'd ever wish a serious injury on are those that are a danger to other players - those who seek deliberately to inflict injuries on others. For them - Barton, Jedinak, Cattermole, etc I'd not give any shits.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here