Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zaha named in U21 Squad at the AMEX

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Fair enough. He is certainly NOT a "technical" type player at all though. Quite the opposite, all raw talent.

Agreed.

On the original question, if I was going to the Amex to watch the kids play (I'm not) then I'd definitely boo him, if only to teach the local schoolkids and scouts all about grudges, and irrational hatred.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Fair enough. He is certainly NOT a "technical" type player at all though. Quite the opposite, all raw talent.

Define your technicality.

Foot through the ball and hope for the best? His link up play with a few Palace players is pretty good, so I'd like to think with England's best players he'd do a lot better. But I get the feeling that rather than look at what he can bring to England's national team, you look at his club.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Define your technicality.

Foot through the ball and hope for the best? His link up play with a few Palace players is pretty good, so I'd like to think with England's best players he'd do a lot better. But I get the feeling that rather than look at what he can bring to England's national team, you look at his club.

A technical player - perfect example: Andrea Pirlo. Someone with an incredibly high level of technical ability, is able the hit a great range of passes/shots, possesses very good vision, doesn't need to be quick of foot as they are quick of mind.

So pretty much the opposite of Zaha, a fairly typical young English player - very quick of foot but not always quick of brain. England's most technically gifted player is Jack Wilshere.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
A technical player - perfect example: Andrea Pirlo. Someone with an incredibly high level of technical ability, is able the hit a great range of passes/shots, possesses very good vision, doesn't need to be quick of foot as they are quick of mind.

So pretty much the opposite of Zaha, a fairly typical young English player - very quick of foot but not always quick of brain. England's most technically gifted player is Jack Wilshere.

A very fair example, but I wouldn't write him off just yet. We'll see what Ferguson does with him first. I agree with Wilshere, but there's just not enough off them. I don't think we have enough in terms of the wingers. Walcott seems to think he's better as a centre forward, Chamberlain....I've not really seen enough of him this season.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Most of time, I would support a palace player in an England shirt but I'd make as exception for Zaha because he's a cheating, arrogant c**k.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Sorry - [MENTION=23005]GreersElbow[/MENTION]

But Zaha, I will admit is a talented young boy, with a lot of potential whether he fulfills it or not is another question but besides this he is not a technical player at all, technical players are the likes of Wilshere, Silva and the like obviously they are on a different level to him currently but my point is from the times I've seen him on TV and from what palace fans say he's got seering pace and great trickery. And from when I've seen him he reminds me a lot of someone like Aaron Lennon. Just my opinion like but Zaha is not a technical player that is insulting people like Vicente and others in this league who are technically gifted.

Just seen Mellotrons post above, in my view that is spot on.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Once he's escaped end of the season agree get behind him. Till then not too sure, it's the diving that winds me up tbh. If it was a regular palarse player I wouldn't mind too much but a cheating one is doubly bad. See how Sunday goes then we'll see.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

You have a point.
Welbeck and Sturridge I would say in their role are fairly technical, but speed merchant wingers with a cross and a trick like Zaha, Lennon, are not in the class of man continentals.
Didn't hear of Bayern, Barca, Real, Juve genuinely chasing Lennon or Zaha.
They are tailor made for the PL where they can be flat track bullies in expensively assembled teams like ManUre and Spuds.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I thought Zaha was still undecided whether he wanted to play for England. I'll give the others a good cheer......but will not boo Zaha.

PauloMenace

Banned
Nov 2, 2012
If any of you're players got into an England squad I definitely wouldn't abuse them......but they wont, so I cant :rave:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
If I was going I'd heartily boo him. If for no other reason than making 15million for palace and getting them out of a hole.

As a player I agree with [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION]. He's quick got some tricks but not much else(that I've so far seen). He's typical of a certain type of modern young footballer IMO-style over substance. Basically, he's a shit Nani.

Plus with the demise of Scott McGleish we need a villain to abuse for the next 15 years.

And how old are Orlandi and Lopez in comparison to Zaha, and how long did Orlandi and Lopez spend in a respected top flight for compared to Zaha? He has time to mature. England needs a technical player, we have a decent group of forwards, defenders and goalkeepers, but the only stand out midfielder I can think of at the moment in the squad is Wilshere. Lampard and Gerrard won't be around for much longer, so then we're lacking in technical midfielders because of the typical English hoof it up field policy of play. Do we have any other England internationals at the moment that have the ability to do trickery? Trickery works, it takes time but it works.

Harry Potter for England then ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Anyone that mixes club and country is a bellend. Maybe this is our naivety or all the years in the wilderness, but very sad to see. Don't see it away with the seniors so let's not show ourselves up regardless what happens Sunday eh ?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Anyone that mixes club and country is a bellend. Maybe this is our naivety or all the years in the wilderness, but very sad to see. Don't see it away with the seniors so let's not show ourselves up regardless what happens Sunday eh ?

I agree, but if he does his trademark diving against us just 8 days before the U21s he'll get pelters.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I agree, but if he does his trademark diving against us just 8 days before the U21s he'll get pelters.

Zaha actually stayed on his feet - I was expecting him to swan dive on a couple of occasions, so fair play to him.

Cheers not abuse from me when he plays v Austria.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Don't care as long as we fill the ground and impress some plastic fans to support the local sides as we need to keep building our fan base. It's great show case to fans and young players who might sign for Brighton in the future. We should get behind the U21 as we need more games and events at the Amex.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Don't care as long as we fill the ground and impress some plastic fans to support the local sides as we need to keep building our fan base. It's great show case to fans and young players who might sign for Brighton in the future. We should get behind the U21 as we need more games and events at the Amex.

They'd sold about 12,000 last week, & while that will no doubt increase, especially after yesterday & the realisation that there's no game for two weeks, but it's not going to sell out, is it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here