Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Zach" March

davidzwebb

Oct 1, 2020
https://thegoldstonewrap.com/2013/12/28/zillwood-march-oldest-winger-in-town/… This fellow was my Grandad and I often wonder whether Solly March is related to my family. "Zach" was born and lived all his life in the Chichester area and had several brothers. I see that Solly was born in Eastbourne so I guess it's a possibility.

thegoldstonewrap.com
Zillwood March – oldest winger in town
From the Daily Express on 26th October 1992, I found this piece on George Zillwood March, known as ‘Zach March’ who played for Brighton from 1913 to 1922 as an outsi

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Mod: Moved from 'Ask the Club' as this is no longer active... and you might just get more joy here on the Big Board.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I used to watch Solly's Dad, Steve, play for Hailsham Town. He was a decent wide player. Ghosted past players and was unplayable on his day, but blew hot and cold.

Reminds me of someone else, thinking about it.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
https://thegoldstonewrap.com/2013/12/28/zillwood-march-oldest-winger-in-town/… This fellow was my Grandad and I often wonder whether Solly March is related to my family. "Zach" was born and lived all his life in the Chichester area and had several brothers. I see that Solly was born in Eastbourne so I guess it's a possibility.

thegoldstonewrap.com
Zillwood March – oldest winger in town
From the Daily Express on 26th October 1992, I found this piece on George Zillwood March, known as ‘Zach March’ who played for Brighton from 1913 to 1922 as an outsi

Get some seats near the pitch for the next game and take a cheeky swab of Solly for DNA testing.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
In other vaguely related news; I have a team photo of the Eastside Swifts (winners of the junior cup, Lewis League, Lewis Charity Cup, Seaford Charity Cup 1913-14), two players have the surname Dunk. My paternal Grandfather was the club secretary.
I contacted the BHA Historian and he told me that Dunk was/is a common Sussex surname

Sad to think that they all maybe died on the Fields of Flanders soon afterwards.

Does anyone else have any info on the mighty Swifts?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
In other vaguely related news; I have a team photo of the Eastside Swifts (winners of the junior cup, Lewis League, Lewis Charity Cup, Seaford Charity Cup 1913-14), two players have the surname Dunk. My paternal Grandfather was the club secretary.
I contacted the BHA Historian and he told me that Dunk was/is a common Sussex surname

Sad to think that they all maybe died on the Fields of Flanders soon afterwards.

Was this team based in Newhaven?
There is an area of Newhaven known as Eastside, and there was an Eastside Rovers football club.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

There were 23 battalions of the Royal Sussex Regiment. One of which was in Jerusalem, in the battle of Gaza March 3 1917. My Dad’s cousin Charlie Orton died aged 18. His name is on the Haywards Heath war memorial and the CWG in Jerusalem. Quite topical really.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Was this team based in Newhaven?
There is an area of Newhaven known as Eastside, and there was an Eastside Rovers football club.
Yes probably. My grandfather lived in the Seaford/Newhaven area, as did his parents who ran a Guest House.
My grandfather was never a well man and was “excused boots” in the war and worked in the office of the local docks in WW1. He went on to own a few bike/radio/music shops (a common mix apparently), and eventually moved to Twickenham in Middlesex. Family lore suggests that he “lost his shops in the depression”.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Yes probably. My grandfather lived in the Seaford/Newhaven area, as did his parents who ran a Guest House.
My grandfather was never a well man and was “excused boots” in the war and worked in the office of the local docks in WW1. He went on to own a few bike/radio/music shops (a common mix apparently), and eventually moved to Twickenham in Middlesex. Family lore suggests that he “lost his shops in the depression”.
Details of Eastside Rovers on this site, no mention of Swifts though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here