Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Zac emmerson

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
They were doing well with youth development more than 8 years ago. Amongst those they have produced are Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gareth Bale and thingy Walcott.

Edit - Theo Walcott

100%, the list is numerous. In fact, these are the academy graduates who are current Premier League players:

Theo Walcott, David McGoldrick, Andrew Surman, Adam Lallana, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, James Ward-Prowse, Jack Stephens, Luke Shaw, Callum Chambers, Tyrone Mings, Matt Targett, Michael Obafemi, Yann Valeri and Danny Ings.

My point was more that, whilst they are renowned for their academy and have been producing players for a lot longer than recent results on the pitch (Shearer for example), they also seem to have been on quite an exciting journey since we sat alongside them in the league. As a Premier League club, their progressive on field strategy (Mark Hughes excluded) has lead to them being an example we can hopefully follow.

Stumpy Tim

100%, the list is numerous. In fact, these are the academy graduates who are current Premier League players:

Theo Walcott, David McGoldrick, Andrew Surman, Adam Lallana, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, James Ward-Prowse, Jack Stephens, Luke Shaw, Callum Chambers, Tyrone Mings, Matt Targett, Michael Obafemi, Yann Valeri and Danny Ings.

My point was more that, whilst they are renowned for their academy and have been producing players for a lot longer than recent results on the pitch (Shearer for example), they also seem to have been on quite an exciting journey since we sat alongside them in the league. As a Premier League club, their progressive on field strategy (Mark Hughes excluded) has lead to them being an example we can hopefully follow.

While of course you are mainly correct, it´s a bit of a stretch to say Ings came through their system. He was released as a schoolboy and went to Bournemouth for his football education. Mings also left at 16.

I don´t think the youth coach liked any player with INGS as part of the surname

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
He can't actually sign as a professional with the club until his 17th birthday (at the earliest) so he'll become our 10th 1st-year scholar for 2020-21 (or 11th if that Casper Nilsson lad mentioned on here the other day signs).

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Second youngest ever Football League player at 15 years and 70 odd days.

The youngest - Rueben Noble-Lazarus.

No, me neither. Hope that’s not an omen.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton

Noble-Lazarus was good, he came back from the most extraordinary injuries.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Just looked up info on Zac and Oldham. There are 10 grounds within 20 miles of Oldhams ground excluding Halifax and Bury. No wonder many find it hard to keep going.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

I had exactly the same thought - his first-team appearances at Oldham mean virtually nothing in terms of his Albion career.

In that respect, thankfully there is practically no interest in the U-18s on here, so hopefully he'll get chance to establish himself over the next couple of years without stupidly-high expectations on NSC.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

They also bought young players well. Sadio Mane is the most obvious example here. Something tells me that they've been less impressive at buying young players more recently. Their return to form has very much coincided with Ings' return to full fitness.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Can plucky really claim any credit for Lallana? He left there when he was about 12, although Stains did have to pay about £20k in compensation.

If someone not friends with Epstein are willing to pay £20k for a twelve year old, it really sounds like their youth coaches could claim some credit.

theboybilly

I'd imagine we'd put him in what used to be known as digs (may still be for all I know!).

He may well be legally allowed to live on his own soon, but I doubt the club went to his parents and said "Yeah, we'll stick him in a bedsit in Worthing and let him get on with it". That's not how you persuade them that your club is the one their beloved offspring wants to join. It doesn't really scream duty of care...

Still called 'digs' and the club have about 20 to 25 host families dotted around. I would imagine Zak witll be put with one of these families until he's 18 or so.

Edit: He'll be at digs during the season, going home from time to time (school holidays etc)

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Totally agree. Mrs DiS is constantly complaining about the number of Saints Players ending up at Liverpool- Mane, Lovren, Lallana, to name but three.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
They also, I think, got 20% (or perhaps 25%) of the fee when Saints sold Lallana to 'Pool.

That’s a decent haul for them for a player that left when he was 12. The point still stands that Plucky can’t really say he’s a product of their academy. We have more claim on Gareth Barry than that and we hardly mention him, unless he’s stood on Brighton beach with a seagull on his head again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here