"You're Welsh and you know you are"

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Welsh people tend to be quite touchy, I find.
I'm only half Welsh, so only half touchy.

If some Welsh people were in legal, loving, sexual relationships with sheep, it would be discriminatory to be rude about them. But it's not, and they're not.

Being anti Welsh/Scottish/English can cause offense, and no doubt people can be guilty of that, but as with the example of Plymouth calling Brighton fans northern, it's clearly harmless banter in this case (I don't care if nobody sings it, but I defend their right to).

correct. Young was born in singapore i think, to british parents, and had the option to make himself available for any of the home nations.
He wouldn't have got near the england team, but could have realistically 'chosen' scotland or northern ireland. Not sure how welcoming of a black player those nations would have been at the time, mind.

So what makes the welsh any more welcoming? ???
Ah yes! Men of Harlem :facepalm:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Once more for the hard of thinking. Its the intent your Welsh so you shag sheep is a prejudice based upon there race there for is a rascist term and as bad as any other sheeesh

But it's not based on their race, it's based on their nationality. Ergo it might be offensive but it isn't racist term. When we played Bristol City in the play-off final some City fans chanted at us as we were going to the ground 'Does your boyfriend know you're here?" My daughter replied with "Yes he does actually, but does your sister know you're here?" which was a reference to the well-known fact that all people from the West of England commit incest. As for 'sheepshaggers' it was not a racist term of abuse as, like the Welsh, Bristolians are not a separate race.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I can't be doing with this 21st Century revisionist relativism about the Welsh. It's all very easy for you in more remote parts of the country to be all touchy feely and forgiving, but we've been on the front line of this for centuries. If it weren't for the brave, tough, uncompromising people of the Marches you'd all be speaking Welsh now. For the good honest Anglo Saxon stock of this country the Welsh are the old enemy, and you can't forgive 11 centuries of blood feud that readilly if you ask me boyo.

Milton Keynes Seagull

Sep 28, 2003
Milton Keynes

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And prior to the Act of Union of 1707, there was no nation state called England with a reigning monarch I presume?
I'm not sure what your point is? Prior to 1707, England was a country, and Scotland was a country. Now they're not.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I can't believe that anyone is even having this conversation
on here !
What if you sing about them being toothless simpletons and start singing ooo arrr
at them what's that then Farmism and simpletonism ???
FFS !!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ah but they could well be again, that is the point.
Yes they could.
The UK is an artificial construct composed of absorbed nation states, not a nation state in its own right.
All countries are artificial constructs. The UK is really a nation state too, it's just that politicians would lose votes if they admitted it, so they say we're a multinational state.

centurion40

Sep 8, 2012
Does this class as inapropriate chanting? I know its a common one sang to both of the teams from Bristol. Just curious really.

I think we'll get away with this, just make sure not to add "and you shag sheep" on the end :sheep:

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
:facepalm: The point is, the Welsh are not really going round shagging sheep, it's a joke (and if they are, they deserve to be offended, it's sick and illegal).
Nobody with any sense really thinks they shag sheep. And they're the same race as us, so even if it is offensive, it's not racist.
Some of them do surely.

Many Welsh hill farmers are batchelors, and it can be a wild and lonely place up on those Brecon Beacons.

I'm sure at least one Cardiff/Swansea/Wrexham supporter squirms a bit when that song is sung.

:wink:

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
It's not so much the chanting, it's when you get grown men shouting into your face about leeks and zulus and slate mining after the game. Often in front of kids.

Slate mining??? Racist bastards....... :D

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Four pages about a petty, mindless, childish chant that was only mildly funny the first time and just pathetic and boring every time after that. I fail to understand why anyone would want to sing it.

And if the Bristol City fans find it the slightest bit offensive, they are just as childish.

Seems that the Amex doubles as a primary school on match days.

kjgood

Which is? Wales are part of the same country we're in, and the same race of people (including me). Surely this is just harmless banter.

Could I just point out as an staunch englishman living in Wales, Wales is most definately not the same country as England and the Welsh are Celts and the English Saxons, therefore niether the same country or race.

Your welcome to come to Cardiff during the Autumn Internationals (Rugby) and tell our Wesh cousins they are part of England.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Could I just point out as an staunch englishman living in Wales, Wales is most definately not the same country as England
Can I just point out, as a half English half Welshman, that Wales is most definitely part of the same country that England is part of (the UK).

the Welsh are Celts and the English Saxons, therefore niether the same country or race.
You're more confused than you think. How many races do you think there are?

Your welcome to come to Cardiff during the Autumn Internationals (Rugby) and tell our Wesh cousins they are part of England.
Pay attention at the back, they're not part of England. They're part of Brtiain, and therefore, the UK.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
"Men of Harlem" :lolol:

I've this vision of these 7ft tall black guys spotted in the away end tonight twirling basketballs on their fingers

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Could I just point out as an staunch englishman living in Wales, Wales is most definately not the same country as England and the Welsh are Celts and the English Saxons, therefore niether the same country or race.

I was wondering when someone would bring that up. The labels 'Celt' and 'Saxon' mean nothing. We ARE all the same race. Sorry.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Thought the chant was funny when i first saw this thread, now its just boring.

Not offensive at all anyway, after all, away fans can sing all those gay chants at us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports