Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"You're Welsh and you know you are"

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Don't know what the situation with Hereford is but,worked with a bricklayer from there,as you can imagine what with the accent,he got alot of stick about being welsh

which genuinely got under his skin,he was prepared to even have a roll around in the mud over it,must be strange living near another country's border

Obviously a lot of my stuff on this thread has been fairly tongue in cheek, but there really isn't a lot of love lost between (some) English and (some) Welsh, and certainly in the borders it does go back centuries.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Obviously a lot of my stuff on this thread has been fairly tongue in cheek, but there really isn't a lot of love lost between (some) English and (some) Welsh, and certainly in the borders it does go back centuries.

my origins are from the Forest of Dean whose people are often mistaken for the Welsh and from both sides of my family whose names are Evans, Baldwin, and Davis thats not Davies and I'v been back for some 500 years and none are from the Welsh.
Strangely one of my ancestors built Kidwelly Castle if I had known that while living fairly near there I would have claimed it back tic

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I always found this particulaly stupid when it was sung at Crewe - which is nowhere near Wales. You might as well expect away fans to chant about Brighton being in France.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Chester has NEVER been part of Wales

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Chester has NEVER been part of Wales

have not had time to read it all but the battle of 616AD seems to be the changing point in Welsh and English history and at one time they held the city

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
what kind of reception do TNS "Oswestry get when playing in Wales?

Not sure, but I work in Oswestry and the signs are nearly all bilingual. TNS used to play in Llansantffraid-ym-Mechain but moved to Park Hall, Oswestry, about a mile from the Welsh border, in 2010.

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Spent a couple of days in Ebbw Vale a few years ago. Couldn't help comparing it to Newhaven which it resembles closely. People were very friendly though. Just saying.
What a treat.

:lolol:

(you are right about the people though, they are very friendly in Ebbw Vale)

life on mars 73

Oct 19, 2010
If the Welsh feel so bad about England, how come Swansea and Cardiff play in the English League ??? ( I think Wrexham have dropped out, haven't they, like Newport ?)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
have not had time to read it all but the battle of 616AD seems to be the changing point in Welsh and English history and at one time they held the city
England and Wales didn't even exist in 616AD.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Not sure, but I work in Oswestry and the signs are nearly all bilingual. TNS used to play in Llansantffraid-ym-Mechain but moved to Park Hall, Oswestry, about a mile from the Welsh border, in 2010.

saved a fortune on printer ink

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here